Lucid days

Gayna

Nov 20, 2018
Hi, I care for a lady with vascular dementia and in rare occasions has lucid days where she remembers everything, it’s like she doesn’t have dementia. Should I be worried or is this normal. I’m going to put a water sample in just in case.

Thanks

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My wife has mixed dementia, with a significant amount of vascular damage evident on scans, and she too can have lucid days. I have seen comments on the forum about this.

It's wise to check for an infection if there is any dramatic change in behaviour, although an infection would normally cause a worsening of symptoms.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s always wise to check for infections with any changes in behaviour but lucid days / confused days are what makes dementia so puzzling. There is often no rhyme or reason for the changes and as carers it helps if we are able to accept lucid days for what they are and make the most of them.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Having lucid days in vascular dementia is really common. Its like a light bulb that is going, but is flashing on and off before it finally goes out.

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
Its like a light bulb that is going, but is flashing on and off before it finally goes out.

That's so true! I was chuckling away this afternoon. Dad doesn't communicate much these days and seems to struggle to understand simple speech at times. So there we are, heading out in the car. I took a short-cut and said to Dad 'I need to careful on this road because of all the pot-holes'. Quick as a flash he comes back with 'so why did you take this road then?'

It was so good to get a glimpse of Dad of old.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband has Alzheimer's and has lucid moments rather than days. So he can show empathy as in " Switch that light on when you go down the stairs" and then do totally foolish things which put me at risk.

Gayna

Nov 20, 2018
Thank you so much for the replies. It’s put my mind at ease. I’ve learned more about this lady in two days than I have in 5 years.
Thank you thank you