What to do with dad now he is so much worse.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dear Duggies-girl

I was pleased to read your post and I hope you are both watching TV again tonight. My invisibles can say that I have had a privileged life because they've never had to worry about or what they'll come home/wake up to. They've never had that fear but we carers also have special memories of our parents through caring. I have many memories of taking dad to lunch and doing things together.

We carers can safely say that we did all we could for our loved ones.

MaNaAk

I agree with that @MaNaAk Although I frequently have a moan and I never ever want to do this again I am glad that I stuck with dad through this. I can look back and say that I did my best for him.

A pat on the back for myself from me. There will be time for myself soon enough and I have all sorts of travel plans that I have put off time and time again but I will do these things later.

When I think how dad was 3 weeks ago I can see he has improved tremendously physically and that was because of me. Just need to get his brain into gear now and I think that may prove harder. I know that any little thing now could set him right back but we are ok at the moment.

I used to lunch with dad 3 times a week and it was always fish and chips because that's what dad liked. I just got fatter every week but he enjoyed it so that's what we did. We are both thinner now but dad is too thin at the moment. Yes good memories are priceless.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
You have a pat on the back from me. We have both saved our dad's lives and when dad's Alzheimers was mild he said you have saved my life. I also remember him offering to come to the doctor's with me when I needed to go for myself.

If you read my thread 'The Lighter Side Of Alzheimers' you'll I enjoyed watching him have his hair cut especially as I couldn't keep a straight face!

MaNaAk

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hello, @Duggies-girl. I am massively not caught up on TP but wanted to say hello and see how your dad is doing, and how you are doing. I am sorry to hear he lost so much weight and that you sound so worried and exhausted. I have no brilliant advice, just (((((hugs))))) to offer.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I worry that if I put him into a care home he will become one of those who constantly calls for help that will not come.
I looked at a care home that seemed quite nice but it is only a back up option at the moment

It`s good to have a back up at this stage, @Duggies-girl and the quote at the top is one you will be able to ask this home. How they answer will reassure you hopefully.

I had a home in mind months before we needed one for both my husband and my mother.

With my mother, there was a crisis and the care home was able to take her the same night. I hope the same won`t happen to you and your dad but with this illness we never know.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951