Heightened eyesight and hearing

Runragged

Feb 7, 2019
Hi I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this with Alzheimer’s or Dementia our Mum is 88 and in good health physically but has had dementia (as yet undiagnosed) for a good couple of years and looking back possibly a lot longer. She has many of the symptoms described by contributors here hallucinations sundowning hysteria severe anxiety of course the memory problems although these aren’t always as bad as some here.
But the thing that puzzles me is that whilst five months ago she was struggling to hear, she now seems to be able to hear a pin drop in the room next door! Also her eyesight seems to be ultra sharp, which doesn’t always work in our favour.
Is this a known phenomenon or unique to Mum ?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I'm not sure if it is quite the same thing, but my OH does seem to be more sensitive to loud noises like motorbikes in the street outside or me accidentally banging a couple of plates together when clearing a table as her dementia progresses.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Does your mum have cataracts? It is very common for eyesight to improve for a while as the cataracts worsen. I had to go back to the optician earlier than scheduled as my glasses were hopeless. I found I was peering over the top of them and could see better without them. I will probably need to change my prescription in a year or so as the cataracts get worse.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Could she have an infection? Last month my ears were very painful as the slightest noise, high notes or sharp tones in background 'music' made me grab the TV control to mute. I almost booked a hearing test as it can be a form of deafness. However it is almost normal now as are my teeth that were painful too.
I think we have to be careful not to think every symptom is dementia related. It is easy to do so when so many unusual things emerge.

Runragged

Feb 7, 2019
I'm not sure if it is quite the same thing, but my OH does seem to be more sensitive to loud noises like motorbikes in the street outside or me accidentally banging a couple of plates together when clearing a table as her dementia progresses.[/QUOT
I'm not sure if it is quite the same thing, but my OH does seem to be more sensitive to loud noises like motorbikes in the street outside or me accidentally banging a couple of plates together when clearing a table as her dementia progresses.
Hi nae sporran, thanks for your reply yes it does sound like a familiar thing I don’t think it helps that my Mum has always been the hub of the family and very very protective of those around her ( especially me the 50 something baby) so much so that although my sister and I live within a few meters of her she gets very anxious about us going home in the dark so that we have to pretend one of our husbands is coming to get us otherwise she will insist on trying to see us home.
This kind of thing I think may put her on constant high alert miserable for her and certainly us

Runragged

Feb 7, 2019
Does your mum have cataracts? It is very common for eyesight to improve for a while as the cataracts worsen. I had to go back to the optician earlier than scheduled as my glasses were hopeless. I found I was peering over the top of them and could see better without them. I will probably need to change my prescription in a year or so as the cataracts get worse.
Hi Lawson58, thanks for that idea, but it seems not,she recently had an eye test and all was well, But her perseption of how things look is also really wired inas much as she’ll look at a trailer in the field behind and see people looking at her, and when her imaginary man was around and leaving her signs she couldn’t believe the tea towel on the worktop didn’t have a face in it, that he had made ,another odd thing is how she sees people’s expressions when watching tv she constantly thinks an actor is frightened when he’s not or angry when not.And we have to have permanent smile or she’ll take offence. Strange eh

Runragged

Feb 7, 2019
Could she have an infection? Last month my ears were very painful as the slightest noise, high notes or sharp tones in background 'music' made me grab the TV control to mute. I almost booked a hearing test as it can be a form of deafness. However it is almost normal now as are my teeth that were painful too.
I think we have to be careful not to think every symptom is dementia related. It is easy to do so when so many unusual things emerge.
Hi Alice, she did have nasty infection about six weeks ago but seems to be over that now although her dementia symptoms did worsen and have continued to since,I totally agree I do find myself blaming the condition for every thing when maybe it’s just how she is. Thank you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
But her perseption of how things look is also really wired inas much as she’ll look at a trailer in the field behind and see people looking at her, and when her imaginary man was around and leaving her signs she couldn’t believe the tea towel on the worktop didn’t have a face in it, that he had made ,another odd thing is how she sees people’s expressions when watching tv she constantly thinks an actor is frightened when he’s not or angry when not.And we have to have permanent smile or she’ll take offence. Strange eh

Make sure that when she goes to the doctor/memory clinic for diagnosis you tell them this as it will probably aid diagnosis.
This sort of symptom is more likely in Lewy Body Dementia, or Post Cortical Atrophy (although it can happen in other dementias too)

Runragged

Feb 7, 2019
Make sure that when she goes to the doctor/memory clinic for diagnosis you tell them this as it will probably aid diagnosis.
This sort of symptom is more likely in Lewy Body Dementia, or Post Cortical Atrophy (although it can happen in other dementias too)
Thank you , will do although I don’t know when or how this will ever happen as she thinks she’s absolutely fine I’m sure we will have to bite the bullet as we are struggling with her challenging ways.

Runragged

Feb 7, 2019
Most people with dementia think they are fine @Runragged so you have to do it by stealth.
Have you got as far as the GP yet?
No to be honest I guess we sound like we’re wimping out but she was even difficult to get to gp when she had a really nasty water infection I agree though we are gonna have to be very crafty I think a big factor in getting her diagnosed will be finding a very good doctor who’s sympathetic and to be quite frank our GPS are awful.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Write a letter to her GP explaining the things that concern you, then find some pretext for her going to the doctor. Maybe she is getting bad arthritis, or her blood pressure needs checking; sometimes the GP is will to send her an appointment for a "well woman" check up ;). Hopefully the GP can get the tests done without her really realising what is being done. Hopefully she will then be referred to the memory clinic, but get one bit done at a time

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
@Runragged, a warm hello from me and welcome to Talking Point. I am sorry you have needed to find your way here, but hope you find it helpful and friendly.

Some of what you describe is exactly what I experienced with my mother. She always had good hearing, but seemed to be able to hear the quietest whisper (which was sometimes inconvenient).

She was also very, very sensitive to tone of voice, facial expression, and body language, and I mean in a scary, intense way. She had a sort of laser like focussed stare she would turn on me, and would instantly hone in on the slightest change, or on anything that was even one percent less than calm and positive and pleasant. It drove me mad and also was frightening at times, to be honest. I had to remain absolutely calm, not talk too quickly, and not show the tiniest amount of anything other than pleasant and faintly upbeat. Too upbeat, and she would be all over me. Not upbeat enough, and she was all over me. It was very hard.

She also had phases where she couldn't tolerate me moving around, notably when she was in hospital (and was very disoriented from the anesthesia, the pain meds, and the hospital induced delirium). In her hospital room, I had to sit on a particular chair placed at a precise location indicated by her, at a precise distance from her bed, and watch television and NOT MOVE A MUSCLE. If I shifted at all, or moved my attention off the TV, or breathed too loudly, she would get angry and upset. Not a fun time.

I do think all of that was her dementia, but of course cannot prove it. Some of it was possibly also anxiety. As her dementia has progressed, these things have disappeared, although non verbals, body language, tone of voice, and facial expression are still very important, because now her comprehension isn't as good and I think sometimes she can only get the nonverbal information.

I hope in some small way that is reassuring to you, just to know you're not the only one to have experienced this.

Wishing you best of luck in getting some medical help, and in general.

Runragged

Feb 7, 2019
@Runragged, a warm hello from me and welcome to Talking Point. I am sorry you have needed to find your way here, but hope you find it helpful and friendly.

Some of what you describe is exactly what I experienced with my mother. She always had good hearing, but seemed to be able to hear the quietest whisper (which was sometimes inconvenient).

She was also very, very sensitive to tone of voice, facial expression, and body language, and I mean in a scary, intense way. She had a sort of laser like focussed stare she would turn on me, and would instantly hone in on the slightest change, or on anything that was even one percent less than calm and positive and pleasant. It drove me mad and also was frightening at times, to be honest. I had to remain absolutely calm, not talk too quickly, and not show the tiniest amount of anything other than pleasant and faintly upbeat. Too upbeat, and she would be all over me. Not upbeat enough, and she was all over me. It was very hard.

She also had phases where she couldn't tolerate me moving around, notably when she was in hospital (and was very disoriented from the anesthesia, the pain meds, and the hospital induced delirium). In her hospital room, I had to sit on a particular chair placed at a precise location indicated by her, at a precise distance from her bed, and watch television and NOT MOVE A MUSCLE. If I shifted at all, or moved my attention off the TV, or breathed too loudly, she would get angry and upset. Not a fun time.

I do think all of that was her dementia, but of course cannot prove it. Some of it was possibly also anxiety. As her dementia has progressed, these things have disappeared, although non verbals, body language, tone of voice, and facial expression are still very important, because now her comprehension isn't as good and I think sometimes she can only get the nonverbal information.

I hope in some small way that is reassuring to you, just to know you're not the only one to have experienced this.

Thank you for your kind welcome, yes it’s already been helpful just looking around at other posts, and everyone has been lovely it does help to know other people have had similar experiences with thier loved ones,
Yours are definitely within the same area it’s quite shocking how a persons character can be altered and I definitely can sympathise with you on the facial expressions thing, when Mum had her uti it was even worse and as we were taking turns to sleep around there and then sit with her in the evenings we were exhausted as she was awake for sometimes 36hours on the trot and if you dozed off in the chair she would (and still does )voice her disapproval, it won’t help to say but Mum I’m tired you kept me up all night as she’s already forgotten that and frankly as her empathy button is mostly switched off could care less and would say WIMP,

Hello and thank you for your reply Indeed it has been very reassuring and helpful to find so many who are going through the same as my sister and I.It does seem your Mums reaction to expressions body language etc is the same as mine and that laser like stare is very familiar, her mood can change in seconds if you say the wrong thing. We take it in turns to sit with her in the evenings as she becomes very restless after dark and will possibly wander out if left for more than a couple hours,if while watching tv either of us dares to nod off we get very short shrift even though she knows we are both tired it seems her empathy button is set to off!
A lot of my mums problems also stem from severe anxiety we live in houses next to her and opposite so because she has always been very protective and controlling she feels she has to observe us at all times, which to say the least very restrictive she hates us going out and was horrible to my husband and I when we had a short holiday last year wishing us bad weather and worse, very hurtful even though I know this is not really Mum talking,it cuts deep.
A more recent thing that has come up increasingly has been that she believes the people in the television can see her and are waving at her we do try to explain but I don’t think she believes us.
Thanks again for your kind words and I hope speak again soon

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
A more recent thing that has come up increasingly has been that she believes the people in the television can see her and are waving at her we do try to explain but I don’t think she believes us.
This breakdown between reality and TV is very very common. Mum used to think that what was happening on the TV was happening in her home. At this stage you have to start monitoring what they are watching so as to avoid anything upsetting.
Soaps, Jeremy Kyle and the news were a big no-no.