Welcome to Talking Point! Find out more and say hello...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann Teak

Mar 3, 2019
Just saying hello. I am a newbie. I care for my husband and looking forward to making friends on this site.
Just off to explore the threads.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Ann Teak, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I'm glad you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello, I've just started posting, finding my way round the board, editor, etc.

a warm welcome to TP
have a good mooch around, there's lots of useful info here
and when you're ready, start your own thread with whatever is on your mind as members are helpful and supportive

RHV

Mar 5, 2019
Hi everyone. Newly diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Or should I say my self diagnosis is now confirmed after full assessments and scans. I am in my 60’s and currently in Tobago thinking things through. As a frontline NHS professional for 40 years my insight is not proving to be too helpful at the moment and my concerns are for my husband rather than myself

Off to peruse the forums now

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi everyone. Newly diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Or should I say my self diagnosis is now confirmed after full assessments and scans. I am in my 60’s and currently in Tobago thinking things through. As a frontline NHS professional for 40 years my insight is not proving to be too helpful at the moment and my concerns are for my husband rather than myself

Off to peruse the forums now
Hello @RHV, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I'm glad you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Dougallsmum

Mar 7, 2019
Hello my name is Jean, I am a seventy seven year old lady with a husband who has Mixed Dementia. He is seventy nine and was diagnosed a year ago. His main problem is mobility and frequent falls. I am looking forward to being able share experiences with others in the same position.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Dougallsmum and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place to find support and exchange information.

I wonder if you may find any local support services to be of some use. You can do a post code check to see what's available to you by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

The full list of the very informative Factsheets can be found with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Hello my name is Jean, I am a seventy seven year old lady with a husband who has Mixed Dementia. He is seventy nine and was diagnosed a year ago. His main problem is mobility and frequent falls. I am looking forward to being able share experiences with others in the same position.
Hi there Jean, likewise!
I am 71 OH 76 with mixed dementia.and lots of other medical problems to compound the issue!!!!
Yes we have had the falls, plus a stroke last November which has declined his mobilty to now he’s immobile! Plus all the other elements of MD getting no worse . Unfortunately I am myself disabled with limited mobility.
I feel It’s a double whammy! The dementia alone is a terrible desease but I think maybe I could have coped with better if we could still get out just for a coffee or a garden centre visit.
But cannot change things, and yes it is difficult but TP is an absolute godsend to me, for knowledge, help advice and just knowing others can empathise!
Welcome and let’s hope we can gain strength from each and every other member.

MTO

Mar 8, 2019
Hi group,
I am new to this. My beloved husband of 44 years has been diagnosed with vascular dementia, then mixed dementia. He is 67, diagnosed last year. He is not on any medication, he didn’t want it, and I was afraid it might change his personality...most of the time he is lovely to be with, although he is a hollow shadow of his former self, and is slipping away from me day by day.
What happens is he continues to say he doesn’t want medication?
Thanks for any help you can give

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @MTO and welcome to Talking Point.
Actually, there isnt any medication for Vascular dementia - only for Alzheimers, and even then it doesnt cure it or even halt it, it just slows down the progression, so I wouldnt worry about him refusing medication at the moment. There is medication for particular symptoms, such as anxiety. depression or paranoia (which he may, or may not ever develop), but worry about that if/when he ever needs them.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @MTO and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. I'm glad you've found Talking Point and know you will get lots of help and support here. Now that you've introduced yourself you might want to think about starting a thread of your own. You may receive more responses from other members, and also be able to use the discussion to share other information and keep other members updated on how things are going. To start your own discussion thread go the home page an click on I care for a person with dementia. At the top, you'll see a button called 'Post New Thread' - click or tap on this and you'll be all set.

The Society produces a lot of fact sheets which you may find useful. You'll find them here -

I'm not sure if you're at a stage where you need outside support but if you need to consider that you might find this link helpful -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you'll

Keep posting. As I said you'll find lots of help,and support here.

Ann Teak

Mar 3, 2019
a warm welcome to TP
have a good mooch around, there's lots of useful info here
and when you're ready, start your own thread with whatever is on your mind as members are helpful and supportive
Thank you John for the welcome.
Ann Teak

gratefulenquirer

Mar 9, 2019
Hello
My Mum...
recently diagnosed with vascular dementia
very independent
has started going wandering without dressing properly but the next day does not remember doing so
she is not keen on more carers (just one twice a day at the moment)
Adult Social Care pushing for 24 hour live in care or care home

My first questions:
is it a positive experience for person with dementia to live with relatives?
we feel under pressure to make decisions and concerned at what stage social care or a court step in and force anything upon us for Mum's care.

I have tried start a discussion on the first question and look forward to hearing what members have to say from their experiences.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hello
My Mum...
recently diagnosed with vascular dementia
very independent
has started going wandering without dressing properly but the next day does not remember doing so
she is not keen on more carers (just one twice a day at the moment)
Adult Social Care pushing for 24 hour live in care or care home

My first questions:
is it a positive experience for person with dementia to live with relatives?
we feel under pressure to make decisions and concerned at what stage social care or a court step in and force anything upon us for Mum's care.

I have tried start a discussion on the first question and look forward to hearing what members have to say from their experiences.
Hi and welcome to talking point I'm sure others will be along soon to share their experiences ,but from the information you have given that wandering and not remembering that they're wandering and not dressing properly is not a sign of Independence.

My mother-in-law lived on her own for about 3 years with carers coming in three times a day, but it got to the point where she was vulnerable and not safe in her own home when the carers were not there . Eventually it got to the point where I'm afraid she had to go into a care home. I have no experience of a person with dementia living with me but I'm sure others will be along soon to give you their advice. But to be frank,if SS think 24 supervision is needed and I tend to agree, then you will have to work in her best interests . Have you got power of attorney?

Last edited:

peejay9

Mar 11, 2019
Hello Everyone, I and my two brothers are joint carers for our mum who live with her. She has dementia with vascular Alzheimer’s diagnosed over five years which is progressively limiting her independence. She’s recently been diagnosed with breast cancer as well so am looking to find advise and information on how best to care for her and which treatment options to select...

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @peejay9 you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly, informative and supportive place.

I wonder if you may find any local support services to be of some use. You can do a post code check to see what's available to you by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

The full list of the very informative Factsheets can be found with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

In view of your mum’s recent cancer diagnosis you may find the threads in the sub forum that can be reached with this link to be of use to you and your family https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/caring-for-a-person-with-dementia-and-cancer.81/

If you have any specific questions just ask away as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Last edited:

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @peejay9 a warm welcome from me as well
You are in a difficult position at the moment have you got POA?
I hope the medics will all work with the family to get the best outcome for your Mum
Now you have found us I hope you will continue to post

peejay9

Mar 11, 2019
Hello @peejay9 a warm welcome from me as well
You are in a difficult position at the moment have you got POA?
I hope the medics will all work with the family to get the best outcome for your Mum
Now you have found us I hope you will continue to post
Hi Nellbelles, thank you for the welcome. Unfortunately, I do not have POA, I think my brother has a general POA.
Is it an essential requirement?

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi Nellbelles, thank you for the welcome. Unfortunately, I do not have POA, I think my brother has a general POA.
Is it an essential requirement?
So long as someone has POA you all should be fine, it just ensures people will talk to you..
Hope all goes well!

Status
Not open for further replies.