Social Services

Worriedsick

Mar 4, 2013
South Lanarkshire
Being 77 years old and disabled myself I have been caring for my wife for almost 7 years now.
I have found having to do all housework, cooking, shopping etc is getting more and more difficult for me.
When I approached the local Social Services for help and advice and had to sign a form giving them access to our financial details.
What I would like to know is this normal in these cases?

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Being 77 years old and disabled myself I have been caring for my wife for almost 7 years now.
I have found having to do all housework, cooking, shopping etc is getting more and more difficult for me.
When I approached the local Social Services for help and advice and had to sign a form giving them access to our financial details.

So did they ask who you
As Nae sporran says I thought they would just ask for statements,did you sign something giving details of names of banks and account numbers?

Midow

Jun 13, 2017
Wales
So did they ask who you

As Nae sporran says I thought they would just ask for statements,did you sign something giving details of names of banks and account numbers?

Our LA asked for bank account details, not statements. You only need to give details of accounts in your wife's name, Worriedsick.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Our LA asked for bank account details, not statements. You only need to give details of accounts in your wife's name, Worriedsick.
Hi,do you remember if it took a long time between checking finances and then making their contribution towards care costs

Midow

Jun 13, 2017
Wales
Hi,do you remember if it took a long time between checking finances and then making their contribution towards care costs
I believe it took around 6 weeks. Our social worker spoke with the Finance Department to chivvy them along.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I believe it took around 6 weeks. Our social worker spoke with the Finance Department to chivvy them along.
Thanks,that's not too long,I suppose they do it this way so they can speak to the bank directly and see if they are being told about all the bank accounts that a care user might have

Worriedsick

Mar 4, 2013
South Lanarkshire
I thank all of you for your help.
I have been told by our welfare worker he cannot help us and closed our case for the second time.
I have to get a private company in to help us.
I am at present doing my best to get one in as my health has depreciated so much recently.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have help with housework from Age UK - it is cheaper than going to a care company. They will also do shopping, laundry and other household jobs. Find your local Age UK and ask them about accessing Help At Home.
They will not do personal care, or help with medication, though, so if your wife needs this then that will have to be done through a care agency.

Worriedsick

Mar 4, 2013
South Lanarkshire
I have help with housework from Age UK - it is cheaper than going to a care company. They will also do shopping, laundry and other household jobs. Find your local Age UK and ask them about accessing Help At Home.
They will not do personal care, or help with medication, though, so if your wife needs this then that will have to be done through a care agency.
I will try this as it is only housework etc I need help with.
Thank you.

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
I had a young lady in to help me with housework from Age UK five years ago, they charged me £12 an hour, she was paid just over the minimum wage. Now I have found my own home help, I pay her £10 an hour, she will also do basic health care tasks for my OH. If you can find private trustworthy help, do it.