Caring for mum and working as a carer

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
hi. We have just had diagnosis of dementia for mum. My father died sept last year. I moved in with mum . It’s a difficult situation as my mum lives in Spain and I work as a live in carer in U.K. I have worked for many years with dementia of many forms yet feel out f my depth now. Mum has carers but finds it difficult to trust and not just because of her illness. Sadly my son has a gambling addiction and emptied my parents bank account of a very large sum of money just before my father died. I am scared over finances I am scared full stop.
Any words of encouragement as I feel very alone.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Citroen 2cv and welcome to the forum.

Having a background in working with people with dementia is, unfortunately, not much of a help when you have to deal with someone in your own family - there are just too many emotional ties that arnt there when it is a work contract.
I think we all felt scared and alone when we first heard the diagnosis, but this is a very friendly forum where you will get a lot of support.
xx

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
Thanks. I am giving it a lot of serious thought to staying permanently with mum. Spanish views are totally different from U.K. moving mum back to U.K. is not an option. Can I still use this site if I live permanently in Spain.

TheBearsMummy

Sep 29, 2017
East Midlands
Hello Citroen 2cv
There are people from all over the world here on this forum, it's the best place for helpful advice that I have found.
Please ask anything you need to as there is always someone on line. Even if they can't help there will always be support here

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Can I still use this site if I live permanently in Spain.
Of course you can. As @TheBearsMummy says, there are people from all over the world on here.

Might I suggest, though, that you add Spain to your location, so that when people are replying to you they are aware that benefits are different and they cant suggest accessing support in the same way that you do in UK.

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
Of course you can. As @TheBearsMummy says, there are people from all over the world on here.

Might I suggest, though, that you add Spain to your location, so that when people are replying to you they are aware that benefits are different and they cant suggest accessing support in the same way that you do in UK.
Thanks I will do that

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Are you sure that returning your Mum to the UK is not an option? Sure, the journey might be fraught, but as a UK citizen she might ultimately be better off in her homeland - I'm just saying Brexit and the unertainty over certain rights in a EU country going forward.

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
Are you sure that returning your Mum to the UK is not an option? Sure, the journey might be fraught, but as a UK citizen she might ultimately be better off in her homeland - I'm just saying Brexit and the unertainty over certain rights in a EU country going forward.
Brexit won’t affect me or mum we are residencia in Spain have been for many years. You would think that being a British passport holder it would be easy for her to return. Sadly tho it takes a lot of finance as she has to prove intent to reside in U.K. which means paying for everything for at least 6 months. After my son emptied bank account that option is totally gone. Medical care where we live is excellent tho.

Citroen 2cv

Mar 1, 2019
Spain
Brexit won’t affect me or mum we are residencia in Spain have been for many years. You would think that being a British passport holder it would be easy for her to return. Sadly tho it takes a lot of finance as she has to prove intent to reside in U.K. which means paying for everything for at least 6 months. After my son emptied bank account that option is totally gone. Medical care where we live is excellent tho.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan