What happens to benefits if partner goes into care home

Ma May

Sep 14, 2018
Bournemouth, Dorset
My husband has early onset with vascular and progressed quickly after diagnosis last year to the point he is not able to drive or work. We claim PIP and Universal Credit but as we own our own home we do not get any help with the mortgage. With my salary I can cover all the household bills with just enough left over for food and petrol. What I want to know is if/when he eventually has to go into a nursing home will I lose both payments? Without them I couldn't afford to pay all the bills and know that if I have to sell the house the local authority would probably want his share towards nursing fees which means I couldn't afford to buy anywhere else. Has anyone else been in this situation and can offer any advice.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I appreciate it’s worrying, but you are worrying about something that hasn’t happened yet & things could change between now and then

You could get an idea of what Universal Credit you might be entitled to by looking at the web site, fill it in with just your income details. At least it’ll give you some idea of any help you might get

If you are the only adult in the house, you wouId get the 25% reduction on council tax (which if you have already claimed for your husband as “severe mental incapacity, will leave the bill the same as now)

You could think about renting a room as extra income. You can earn about £5k a year without paying tax. It may have increased & will undoubtably increase by the time you might be thinking of this.

You could speak to your mortgage company about remortgage to extend the period, thus reducing monthly payments, however, it wouId mean you will pay a lot more over the term of your mortgage.

There are lots of options, but all have consequences. A lodger loses your privacy, but increases you income. Extending the mortgage increases your income, but lengthens the time you have to pay for it.

Try not to worry about things that haven’t happened yet. This disease is stressful enough without doing that o_O

BluTinks

Dec 7, 2018
It very much depends on your age & where you are in UK , if there are children in the house or other disabled people in house my advise would be to have a chat with your local CAB & look on your social services mandate as to their directive & how they assess finance.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I think many of us wonder ahead of time but as Sam said it is not use worrying too much. Needs change.

We sometimes had other people using a room in the house, sometimes on a short term basis via a college of local business. Some young/mature students will gladly share a home. We benefited over the years in many ways. One child sat, another walked the dog in all weathers. Another loved washing up!
When we could ill afford to travel the world came to us. Some stayed week nights only.

It can ease the mind to pre-plan to get an idea of options. Just remember your own assets can not be touched.
Whatever we plan, life has its own ideas.
Your husband may manage at home for many years, this Forum is very helpful but it does show a whole range of scenarios. Not everything happens to everyone. Kindest thoughts, Alice

Ma May

Sep 14, 2018
Bournemouth, Dorset
Thank you for your replies. I am not particularly worried, what will be will be at the end of the day. I have four children, 3 of which are 18-21 and the youngest 15. Three live at home. Having read similar posts I saw that someone had the PIP stopped 28 days after their partner had moved into a nursing home so it got me curious as to what would happen with UC. I know I would still receive it but obviously not as much. I only have 13 years left on my mortgage so was more thinking as the "child adults" get older they will start to move out and I would move to a smaller place and maybe it would be better to do this before things progress even more (OH is already around stage 5 so I know not ideal) and put new house in my name only and the consequences of doing this!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thank you for your replies. I am not particularly worried, what will be will be at the end of the day. I have four children, 3 of which are 18-21 and the youngest 15. Three live at home. Having read similar posts I saw that someone had the PIP stopped 28 days after their partner had moved into a nursing home so it got me curious as to what would happen with UC. I know I would still receive it but obviously not as much. I only have 13 years left on my mortgage so was more thinking as the "child adults" get older they will start to move out and I would move to a smaller place and maybe it would be better to do this before things progress even more (OH is already around stage 5 so I know not ideal) and put new house in my name only and the consequences of doing this!

This is really tough on you, especially with the children to choose consider. Yes, you need to plan and get good solid advice. You will get support on here.
I hope you have people around you to be more hands on.

Vascular is the one that has platforms, perhaps with giving up driving and work there will be less stress so he may not decline to another platform too soon. My husband has this and has been fairly stable for a while.
Of course there are good days and not so good days, quiet routines help, I am not sure how you achieve this with a house of children. They will be a blessing as well and keep him interested and company.
I must dash to an appointment but will be thinking of you. Alice x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I would move to a smaller place and ......... put new house in my name only

Im afraid you cant put any new home in your name only, but you can own it as Tenants in Common and leave your half to the children in your will - that way, if you pass away first your husband will not inherit your share and it will not be included in any financial assessment of him (you can do this with your present home too). All the while you are living in the house it will be disregarded in any financial assessment, of course.

Ma May

Sep 14, 2018
Bournemouth, Dorset
Im afraid you cant put any new home in your name only, but you can own it as Tenants in Common and leave your half to the children in your will - that way, if you pass away first your husband will not inherit your share and it will not be included in any financial assessment of him (you can do this with your present home too). All the while you are living in the house it will be disregarded in any financial assessment, of course.
Thank you - this is the kind of thing I was really wondering. At a Carers course I attended they suggested transferring the house to your name only but it didn't really sit right with me.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
No, it would be deprivation of assets, but it's not necessary to do it anyway because as long as you live in the property, it is disregarded for any financial assessment, so it will never have to be sold from under you.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thank you for your replies. I am not particularly worried, what will be will be at the end of the day. I have four children, 3 of which are 18-21 and the youngest 15. Three live at home. Having read similar posts I saw that someone had the PIP stopped 28 days after their partner had moved into a nursing home so it got me curious as to what would happen with UC. I know I would still receive it but obviously not as much. I only have 13 years left on my mortgage so was more thinking as the "child adults" get older they will start to move out and I would move to a smaller place and maybe it would be better to do this before things progress even more (OH is already around stage 5 so I know not ideal) and put new house in my name only and the consequences of doing