mum taken into care, safeguarding

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
hello, may i ask if anyone readers have experienced their relative with dementia being taken i to care and being able to get them back home?
i’m mum’s carer, her son, live with her, social services tried to take her into care saying i wasn’t treating a medical problem well enough- nonsense, few days later police and social worker came to the house said there were reports of abuse- nonsense again, and took mum to a place of safety, a care home, i can’t see her.
i have a good solicitor for the police side of things and i really would like any positive experiences of dealing with social services who have been appauling with my family in such a short space of time, and they now have mum in their custody and may after the safeguarding keep her there, the stress and anguish they have caused too. mum benefits from her own home, family with extra carers too, a care home would be for a future consideration and with our consent. she’s been well looked after here, gps nurses, dementia nurses, carer befrienders and many more agree, nor was i getting too tired. it been disgusting. thankyou.

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
Hello, I’m sorry about your situation Peterrabbit and I am not familiar with it but someone may be able to advise but you might need to give more detail.
I do know that someone must have alerted a safeguarding issue in order for to take your mum in to care. Do you know who that was and exactly what the issue was with her care? If she has been looked after well by you and the team at home then maybe they could vouch for you and help with your case. It’s quite extreme to remove someone from their home without serious concerns and knowing you have other healthcare professionals on your side I would have thought you should have a good case. Best wishes and I hope your mum is ok.

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
thankyou
it’s quite terrible, i will see my/ our gp again and we have a solicitor helping us.
plenty of friends, family say she was well looked after here in her own home.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Was there a specific medical issue that they feel you were not attending to appropriately?

Is the GP on your side?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Without knowing all the facts it does seem extreme for social services to attend with the Police, remove your Mum from her home and prevent you from seeing her but hopefully your solicitor will be able to discuss the best course of action for you to take next. I've had experience of a safeguarding investigation, although not the same situation as yours (a carer was neglecting my Mum). The safeguarding team carried out a thorough investigation in quite a short timescale and their priority - and mine - was Mum's safety. The only advice I can give is to co-operate fully with social services and the safeguarding investigation. When / if discussions are held with regards to whether your Mum can return home or not there should be a 'best interests' meeting at which the family can be represented. Does anyone have health & welfare LPA for your Mum? Do you have other family members who can support you through this difficult time?

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
she had leg pain, i already was getting medical attention for it- two
nurse visits and gp, and following the treatment for her, they kept
asking how she was, when i was following the nurses, gp
they were saying daft things- why didn’t you do this or that, nonsense really,
louise7, we have an LPA but it needs a few weeks to be registered.
i’ve just a sister but talk to family or friends on the phone.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
When they asked you these ''why didn't you...…..'' questions, did you give them the impression you thought it was nonsense? Maybe you should have gone along with their suggestions.

What sort of treatment did they give her/ask you to give her? Did her leg improve?

Just trying to think out why they have taken the action they have.

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
When they asked you these ''why didn't you...…..'' questions, did you give them the impression you thought it was nonsense? Maybe you should have gone along with their suggestions.

What sort of treatment did they give her/ask you to give her? Did her leg improve?

Just trying to think out why they have taken the action they have.

well, the gp and two nurses came and i was following their instructions properly and timely anyway
(about taking her for an x ray, meds, blood test, follow up nurse) social services were
suggesting i wasn’t when i was and to the gp satisfaction and with his say so.
she was in pain for a short time in the day, it would go, then return a day or more later.
it was being seen to by the surgery. just aweful.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
she had leg pain, i already was getting medical attention for it- two
nurse visits and gp, and following the treatment for her, they kept
asking how she was, when i was following the nurses, gp
they were saying daft things- why didn’t you do this or that, nonsense really,
louise7, we have an LPA but it needs a few weeks to be registered.
i’ve just a sister but talk to family or friends on the phone.

"They kept asking.." Who exactly are "They"?
Currently you do not have Lasting Power of Attorney. Be aware that it may not in the current circumstances be granted.

Bod

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
they being the social worker.
mum made out an lpa with a solicitor, it’s nearly registered.
the gp just told me he had no concerns with mum’s medical care, the opposite in fact.
thankyou.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
How did Social workers get involved?
The LPA are you going for both the finance, and Health and welfare, ones or just one or the other?

Bod

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
well when mum came out of hospital she was often bedbound and social services
arranged emergency and temporary care agency cover.
we have the finance one already, the LPA is for health and welfare,
it’s currently being registered. the solicitor says ready in a few weeks.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
well when mum came out of hospital she was often bedbound and social services
arranged emergency and temporary care agency cover.
we have the finance one already, the LPA is for health and welfare,
it’s currently being registered. the solicitor says ready in a few weeks.
So do you think one of the carers had reported concern?

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
hello, just to say the police called and i’m completely clear with them.
my gp was feeling for me and so glad when i told him.

peterrabbit

Jun 18, 2016
thankyou. social services are keeping her for now, chc funding been granted then withdrawn, mum’s dementia more visible and worse i think since she’s been there. she’ld be better back in her own home i hunbly think, it’s where she always wanted to be. her LPA health/ welfare imminent. pr.