Prescription Reviews!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

I just want to warn you all that when your PWD goes for a prescription review please make sure that the nurse or GP does through everything. Dad went for his today and they took his blood pressure which turned out to be slightly low. The nurse asked about fluid intake and it was recommended that dad has more fluid.

Anyway I said that in Nov 2017 dad's felodopine medicine was removed because it was lowering his blood pressure so the nurse looked at her records and noticed that it had gone back on!!! She removed it from her records and wrote a note to the home. The deputy manageress said that she didn't remember it being on dad's prescription but she is going to check his medicine anyway. What I am wondering is how did it get back on and also please check your PWDs prescription!

MaNaAk

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Good advice.

I always check prescriptions as soon as I get my hands on them and meds as soon as the pharmacist hands them over(I was once given a similar looking package that was for a different, and wrong, med!).

Indeed, as I type, I recall an instance when my wife was given a script that contained a discontinued med. These things are produced by hitting a button on a screen and I suppose it's possible that a wrong button can be hit. Any system has the potential for errors.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I can think of a few examples over that years where this has happened and it's quite scary. One bad example was years ago when I went to collect medicine for myself, mum and my nana. When I got home mum realised there was a mistake with her medicine and nana's and when I checked mine I found that the chemist had given me thyroxine with my hay fever medication.

I have to have thyroxine nowadays but not twenty-five years ago! There have also been times when I have been given the wrong dose of this medication!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
The worst case of that was when I was given someone else's prescription for mum. Didn't realise until I got home. It came about due to one receptionist trying to do the job two.

This is pretty awful Rob!

MaNaAk

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Also worth mentioning is to keep an eye on the medication charts when in hospital. Mum was given two different types of anti-epileptic medication at the same time (she doesn't have epilepsy) and also a dangerous mix of morphine & codeine together.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes dad was on 4 tablets for years and then the donepezil was added so 5. At Christmas his oncologist said that he really does not need to keep on taking all of these tablets as most were for long term benefits and dad really won't gain anything from them now. Down to 3 tablets.

Following his hospital stay he came home on 7 tablets a day some of which he was on before but at a higher dose now.

His Gp visited a couple of days ago and removed one and prescribed a lower dose of one of the others which I will collect today so now he is on six.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Some of these replies are quite scary! This is just another thing we carers have to keep an eye on!

MaNaAk

Pollyjones

Jul 30, 2017
Shropshire
Hi my OH has been assessed today to start taking Donepezil and should receive the prescription next week. He has questioned if the drug will affect any of the other drugs he is on and has been reassured that consideration of his current drugs will be made. Currently as we are just starting a downward turn I am keen for him to try the drug to see if there is any help.
To be honest I want the best for him but why would I want him to have a strong heart and a weak mind. I even suggested that once he has lost the ability remember who I am I would prefer him to be taken off other medication. Am I being selfish?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Yes dad was on 4 tablets for years and then the donepezil was added so 5. At Christmas his oncologist said that he really does not need to keep on taking all of these tablets as most were for long term benefits and dad really won't gain anything from them now. Down to 3 tablets.

Following his hospital stay he came home on 7 tablets a day some of which he was on before but at a higher dose now.

His Gp visited a couple of days ago and removed one and prescribed a lower dose of one of the others which I will collect today so now he is on six.
Hope your dad's okay D
Hi my OH has been assessed today to start taking Donepezil and should receive the prescription next week. He has questioned if the drug will affect any of the other drugs he is on and has been reassured that consideration of his current drugs will be made. Currently as we are just starting a downward turn I am keen for him to try the drug to see if there is any help.
To be honest I want the best for him but why would I want him to have a strong heart and a weak mind. I even suggested that once he has lost the ability remember who I am I would prefer him to be taken off other medication. Am I being selfish?

Dear Polly,

If you have any doubts keep questioning the medication but that said we have never had a problem with donepezil. However do remember that it is a bedtime medicine and to start it will make your dad a little dizzy. It did this with my dad but I suppose that it reacting with his other medication but this was three years ago so I think your dad should be okay.

MaNaAk

Pollyjones

Jul 30, 2017
Shropshire
Hope your dad's okay D

Dear Polly,

If you have any doubts keep questioning the medication but that said we have never had a problem with donepezil. However do remember that it is a bedtime medicine and to start it will make your dad a little dizzy. It did this with my dad but I suppose that it reacting with his other medication but this was three years ago so I think your dad should be okay.

MaNaAk
Thank you - not heard back from memory clinic regarding prescription. Unfortunately OH was at home alone when he had ECG to check suitability so I have no idea when to expect the next contact. It is weird that since the proper diagnosis he seems to less articulate and more clingy. Unfortunately I have had to work full time this last week and next as cover for a colleague, so not had so much time to spend with him. He tends to sleep early evenings and conversations are very limited these days.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I know what you mean by limited conversations it's very sad but I do enjoy de-stressing by coming on here!

MaNaAk