Deteriorating fast

Whitey2000

Oct 19, 2018
My mom has been in a nursing home for just over a week and was admitted to hospital just over 4 weeks ago. I can't get my head round how fast she deteriorating. She has osteoporosis with compound fractures off the spine and vascular dementia. She has become doubly incontinent and can no longer stand, she is refusing food but drinking water. It is just such a shock when a few weeks ago she was leading a fairly normal life.

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
My mom has been in a nursing home for just over a week and was admitted to hospital just over 4 weeks ago. I can't get my head round how fast she deteriorating. She has osteoporosis with compound fractures off the spine and vascular dementia. She has become doubly incontinent and can no longer stand, she is refusing food but drinking water. It is just such a shock when a few weeks ago she was leading a fairly normal life.

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
Hi

My mum has stopped eating and has only had a few sipps of water this passed few days, we try to comfort her but she tells us to f.... off we know she does not mean it.

Her breathing is very fast and then slows down. I don’t know if this is normal or how long she has left; I will call the palliative care team in the morning they are coming next week but I think we need them now.

She suffered all last year with chest infection and visits to the hospital, the final straw was loosing her sight about 3 weeks ago to a retina detachment. Life is so cruel, she has spent her last few weeks in darkness and confused and scared and now she is giving up. I don’t want lose her or say goodbye but I don’t want her to suffer anymore.

Mum was such a toughie and overcone so much, it’s so sad to see her leaving us this was. She can’t see our faces anymore.

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
My heart goes out to so many of you going through the same thing as I am, Just remember you have all done the best you can for your loved ones.

I’m sending you all a big hug.

Xx

Whitey2000

Oct 19, 2018
Hi

My mum has stopped eating and has only had a few sipps of water this passed few days, we try to comfort her but she tells us to f.... off we know she does not mean it.

Her breathing is very fast and then slows down. I don’t know if this is normal or how long she has left; I will call the palliative care team in the morning they are coming next week but I think we need them now.

She suffered all last year with chest infection and visits to the hospital, the final straw was loosing her sight about 3 weeks ago to a retina detachment. Life is so cruel, she has spent her last few weeks in darkness and confused and scared and now she is giving up. I don’t want lose her or say goodbye but I don’t want her to suffer anymore.

Mum was such a toughie and overcone so much, it’s so sad to see her leaving us this was. She can’t see our faces anymore.

My mom has always been a toughie too, very strong willed and independent. She doesnt want to be here anymore. I just hope for peace for both our moms and you're right, life can be very cruel

Whitey2000

Oct 19, 2018
Mom had her first sips of water in days and a small tea spoon of ice cream. She is so underweight that she is literally bones and preventing bed sores is becoming a problem. Praying for it to be over now, it's torture for mom and us

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))) @Whitey2000
This is such a hard stage - its like being in limbo. They seem to be able to last so much longer than you would think.
Have the palliative care team made contact?

Whitey2000

Oct 19, 2018
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))) @Whitey2000
This is such a hard stage - its like being in limbo. They seem to be able to last so much longer than you would think.
Have the palliative care team made contact?
No not yet, the nurses and CSWs have been wonderful, so kind and trying everything. Visited twice today, she had a spoon of custard and a couple of sips of milkshake but that was it. It's horrible to watch her sinking