Surgery with Dementia

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
Hi,

Can anyone please give some advise.

My Mum has just has a bleed at the back of the eye. She is in the later stages of frontal lobe dementia.

I have been advised that she will need surgery. Will this affect her dementia.

Has anyone been through the same thing.

Thanks

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It depends on the type of anaesthetics used. General anaesthetics can cause increased confusion, that often is just temporary but sometimes permanent. It's advisable to speak to the surgeon to weigh up the risks of surgery and anaesthetics against the risks of doing nothing, regarding quality of life. Also, aftercare should be a consideration too. Will she be able to cope with the eye drops etc? Medics often know a lot about their field but don't take dementia into consideration, so it's good to have a talk beforehand.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I don't think anyone can tell you for sure. My mother fell and broke her hip last summer and had to have a hip replacement. She was sleepy and confused for several days after the operation, but a week later she didn't seem to have been affected at all.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
My FiL had an operation to fix his broken hip recently.....I was amazed that he had visitors soon after the op and they said he was surprisingly cheerful (I suspect he had a regional anaesthetic with sedative.....when I've had a GA there's no way I wanted to entertain!). He's not diagnosed with dementia, and we're still in 2 minds as to what degree he might have, but so far there's been no sign of delirium or increased confusion due to the op. He's 90

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Mum had the same, they did it with a local & laser treatment. No adverse effects. Check if they will do it under a local or general. Some surgeons actually know the effects of a general on Alzheimers & will be open to discussions. Others need you to question the use of a general. If you question it, they should check

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
Hi

Thank you, Mum had her op but was sedated. She was out of it for about 3 days, she is a bit more brighted now.

The surgion said that it was in her interest to have it as she was in pain, they just did enough to make her comfortable. She had a torn retina and a lot of fluid build up which caused her eye to swell.

My Mum is now blind as she only had sight in one eye anyway and it breaks my heart. She keeps telling me to put the light on. It is just so sad as she is in the later stages of her dementia and its terrible this has happened.

Christine

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi

Thank you, Mum had her op but was sedated. She was out of it for about 3 days, she is a bit more brighted now.

The surgion said that it was in her interest to have it as she was in pain, they just did enough to make her comfortable. She had a torn retina and a lot of fluid build up which caused her eye to swell.

My Mum is now blind as she only had sight in one eye anyway and it breaks my heart. She keeps telling me to put the light on. It is just so sad as she is in the later stages of her dementia and its terrible this has happened.

Christine

It's dreadfully sad that your mum has now lost her sight. How you cope with that at late stage or any stage I don't know. It must be very hard for you hearing your mum say that & I am so sorry. X

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
Hi Moggymad,

Thank you, it is really difficult, I hope she can adjust to it a bit, she gets a but of delirium now as well.

She keeps saying she can't see.

I bought tickets to see The Osmonds, the show is tonight, I don't think she strong enough as she gets has been in bed three weeks, but my brother thinks we should take. I'm not so sure. He says its the last thing she will be able to go to.

Can you teĺl me what you think?

My mum is a moggy lover too.

Doggy86*

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi @Doggy86* sorry I haven't been on TP until now so I guess it's too late to offer an opinion. I have no experience with frontal lobe dementia, only Alzheimers, but whatever you decided to do I hope your mum was ok. I don't know how I would handle this other than reassure her she's safe & loved & just hope that in some way she can adjust to the loss. It's heartbreaking for you all. Best wishes X

Last edited:

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
Hi @Doggy86* sorry I haven't been on TP until now so I guess it's too late to offer an opinion. I have no experience with frontal lobe dementia, only Alzheimers, but whatever you decided to do I hope your mum was ok. I don't know how I would handle this other than reassure her she's safe & loved & just hope that in some way she can adjust to the loss. It's heartbreaking for you all. Best wishes X

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
Hi Moggymad,

Things are not good, Mum is having trouble adjusting, I think she is giving up as she had not eaten at all in hospital or since shes been out and now she us not drinking anything.

I just feel broken that this happened to her so close to the end of her life.

She is so agressive now when I try and get her to drink, but she just will not drink and just wants to sleep all the time.

Christine

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry @Doggy86* . Sometimes the pain, inflammation and aneasthetic involved in surgery (and the problem that required the surgery) can progress the dementia.
My mum fell and broke her hip requiring surgery. At first she looked like she was recovering well, but it progressed her dementia so that she reached end of life.

I think that you need to have a very frank and open conversation with the doctor on the ward about what they are expecting, especially in the light that she is not eating or drinking at all. I think it is very likely that she (like my mum) has reached end of life and her body is closing down, but please do speak to the doctor.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi @Doggy86* from your previous posts I'm assuming your mum is back at home? I don't think you & your brother should deal with the heartbreak of this alone & should do as canary suggests & get the advise & involvement of the medical profession possibly carers too if you haven't already. Please keep us updated on here or your other thread. There are a number of carers who are or have been in your situation & can also give you valuable support. Sending hugs & best wishes X

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
Hi Moggy,

Thank you, I think my Mum is giving up because she can't see, she is only drinking a few sipps of fluid now, we spoke to the palative nurse on Wednesday and I am going to call them tomorrow as well as I think we need them to come and see Mum ASAP, they were going to come next week.

Mum is mostly sleeping, I ask if she wants a drink and she tells me to go away leave me alone.

This is really hard, but I know the palative care team will help.

The saddest thing is that she won"t open her eyes and if she does she can't see our faces and darkness. I find this difficult to cope with.

I think the sedation did affect her too.

Thanks for your support.

Christine.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
It's just awful. Hope the palliative care team can provide more support. Your poor mum, wishing you strength coping with this X