Dementia technology aid-need some advice!!!

hl2000

Feb 22, 2019
I'm looking at developing a technological aid to help carers and dementia sufferers. It would be a massive help if you could tell me the sort of challenges you face on a day to day basis (e.g. individuals leaving the home address, leaving ovens on etc.). Also, if you can think of any adaptations that would enable the individual to lead a more independent life do let me know!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Are you thinking of a technology aid to help the person with dementia, or their carer?

Most people with dementia have problems with technology - they cant work out how to use the TV remote, the microwave or the phone, Notes and alarms are usually ignored and disembodied voices can frighten them. New things are very difficult for them to learn how to use.

My own opinion is that technology is best used to alert the carer of a problem, but you also need to be aware that many people with dementia will switch off and/or unplug most devices.

SouWester

Dec 11, 2012
Devon
As a computer scientist by trade I have tried many things to work with my OH who has dementia, here are a few to start you thinking.
1) Hive or Nest motion and door sensors so that I can check if she has been up and about during the night or, worst case scenario, left the house (The time it was triggered shows in the security log). Also they turn on lights on the stairs which otherwise she won't do.
2) Google Assistants, or similar, she has Capgras Syndrome (Google it) and when she does not know who I am I simply say "OK Google who am I?" she believes it (not a 100% of the time but often enough to be useful). Above all the Assistants with Videophone using Duo built in. Her delight at seeing our son and hearing his voice makes this worthwhile, particularly as you just talk to it to set up the call.
3) Paperless Toilets, if the incontinent stage has been reached sit them on it press the button and cleaning up is simplified.YouTube shows how Geberit ones (others are available) work. The benefits would seem to be, less pressure to go into a care home (thus a financial and humanitarian benefit) plus it might be easier to get an external carer if they know this has been simplified.
4) Trackers for her or her possessions (e.g. Tile which I use to find her purse) have many uses.

Mumsmum

Oct 29, 2012
Scotland
Hi, I think it’s more about thinking simpler rather than technology solutions. A kettle that does not switch on if the user has put in something other than water, or which only lets you put water in, mum goes through a kettle a fortnight due to horlucs, teabags, soup etc that she puts in. A microwave that only had a medium high setting and which can only be switched on for 3 mins, and a maximum of 3 repeats, mum has burnt so many things to black and flames due to switching it round to full and max time. A tracker that lasts for a decent length of time or which can be seen into a handbag and the cordless charger fixed to the wall where the bag is always hung, we don’t live with mum so trackers don’t work as she wouldn’t know how to charge it. An identity bracelet that licks in so the dementia sufferer can’t take it off. A face recognition door lock for when keys are list / left behind. And non electronic a simple purse with a zip up coins section and only 2 card slots. A handbag with a coloured lining and no pockets inside or out to lose stuff in. It’s jydt simplifying everything, except maybe the door lock

hl2000

Feb 22, 2019
Are you thinking of a technology aid to help the person with dementia, or their carer?

Most people with dementia have problems with technology - they cant work out how to use the TV remote, the microwave or the phone, Notes and alarms are usually ignored and disembodied voices can frighten them. New things are very difficult for them to learn how to use.

My own opinion is that technology is best used to alert the carer of a problem, but you also need to be aware that many people with dementia will switch off and/or unplug most devices.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm just testing the waters a little bit, and wasn't sure what the best way to approach it was. But it seems like something to help the carer will be beneficial.

Flavelle

Jun 20, 2017
I have a pressure pad thing on my Dad’s bed which sets off a buzzer near me when he gets up. This means if he goes in to fiddle with all the switches in Mum’s room she won’t be left in the dark to fall over. The clever tec thing is I was able to record my voice on the gadget so every 2 minutes after he gets up my voice tells him : a. ‘it is still nighttime’ & b. ‘go back to bed!’... There’s karma: he hates the sound of my voice. It does mean he is irritated as much as Mum is annoyed by his determination to keep her in the dark. I am also irritated tho’ by further sleep deprivation! I think this could be really handy tho’ if I get a night carer in so I can sleep.