I think my mum.has Alzheimer's but she won't go to the doctor's

Jofish86

Feb 20, 2019
Hi,
I've been worried about my mum a while. She lives alone since my dad passed almost five years ago. She's 72. She seems to think all of her clocks are wrong and sees nothing wrong with the fact she turned up at my house at 5am when she should have come at 10am to look after my 18month old. She regularly struggles to tell the time. I bought her an atomic clock, but she can't read it?? She keeps turning up to things on the wrong time and even he wrong day. Today I had to explain to her (after she became irate at a friend) that today was February 20th, not march the 1st which is the date they'd agreed in the diary. She couldn't understand and decided her diary was wrong and it's all to do with this 'darkness'. Yesterday she accused me of lying. She says she's spoken to people today, when it was last week. She lost her keys and was convinced they were stolen; I asked her if she'd checked under the sofa (it's a powered recliner) before she called the locksmith. She said yes. I found her keys under the sofa when i visited two days later.

I am worried as she looks after my little boy. But she's always told me I'm not to take him off her and after her accusation of lying yesterday I can see shes becoming more paranoid. I've never lied to her. Over the last few weeks where she's forgotten what day appointments are, when she's meeting friends or looking after my boy, I've spoken to her about her memory. She insists it's all fine. Today I outright said I'd like to go with her to the doctor's to see about her memory. She became very defensive. She said there's nothing wrong and she'd only see a doctor if she had to.

She's increasingly emotional and paranoid. She needs to know what I'm doing all the time. I called her GP and he just told me to get he to book an appointment and come with her. What do I do about getting her in? And how do I keep my little boy safe? She took him for a walk the other day but he's not very good at holding hands and years ago my tiny dog dragged mum over (she's not steady on her feet) so I hate to think what would have happened if my little boy had decided to throw a tantrum.

What should I do? It's really worrying me. My husband got angry with her at the weekend as she only put my little boys meal in the microwave for 17seconds when it should have been 2.5 mins. She insisted it was in for the correct time but he'd watched her do it. So now he's public enemy number one and she's decided he must also be aggressive with me. She also told a friend of mine that I overmedicate my little boy, which is frightening that she thinks that.

Please help.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Jofish86

Well done on contacting her GP, that’s a good start & the GP saying bring her in shows he/she is willing to listen to you. As for getting your mum there ... I’d suggest making the appointment & asking the receptionist to call your mum & say the GP wants to see her for a ‘well woman” check. She may well accept that. I’d also suggest putting your concerns in a letter & giving to the GP before you take your mum in. List examples of her memory lapses, how often it’s happened in the last month. Her aggression when challenged, her inability to tell the time, her accusations of you lying etc. This will act as a reminder to her GP & means you don't have to say any of this in front of your mum

It might be an idea to sort out other child care arrangements while you get this investigated. Far better to have her cross with you than for anything serious to happen to your child

There are a lot of possible reasons for your mums actions, it might not be dementia. Try to keep calm & not get stressed over something that may never happen

In the meantime. You’ve already found that arguing or trying to be logical & reason with your mum about times, dates or telling her she is wrong, is not working. It’s making things worse. I know it’s really hard, it goes against your instincts, but for the time being, while waiting for results, try not to argue. If she turns up early or on the wrong day, take the blame (yes I know that’s not easy), say something along the lines of “oh sorry mum, I thought I told you not to come until 11, it’s only 8 & I’m not ready. If it is dementia, there is no arguing with it, in her mind she is right. Taking the blame takes the stress off her & should at least defuse the anger

Denial because she really believes she is right, or denial because she knows something is wrong, but can’t face it, is common. You can’t “prove her wrong”, she’s not going to believe you, so you must by lying (if it is dementia)

Hopefully you will get her to the GP & it will turn out to be an infection or chemical imbalance & she can be treated.

Whatever the outcome, I hope you come back & let us know. Keep posting as there are lots of people who will try to help. TP is a mine of information, with someone around most of the time to listen & make suggestions

Jofish86

Feb 20, 2019
T
Hi @Jofish86

Well done on contacting her GP, that’s a good start & the GP saying bring her in shows he/she is willing to listen to you. As for getting your mum there ... I’d suggest making the appointment & asking the receptionist to call your mum & say the GP wants to see her for a ‘well woman” check. She may well accept that. I’d also suggest putting your concerns in a letter & giving to the GP before you take your mum in. List examples of her memory lapses, how often it’s happened in the last month. Her aggression when challenged, her inability to tell the time, her accusations of you lying etc. This will act as a reminder to her GP & means you don't have to say any of this in front of your mum

It might be an idea to sort out other child care arrangements while you get this investigated. Far better to have her cross with you than for anything serious to happen to your child

There are a lot of possible reasons for your mums actions, it might not be dementia. Try to keep calm & not get stressed over something that may never happen

In the meantime. You’ve already found that arguing or trying to be logical & reason with your mum about times, dates or telling her she is wrong, is not working. It’s making things worse. I know it’s really hard, it goes against your instincts, but for the time being, while waiting for results, try not to argue. If she turns up early or on the wrong day, take the blame (yes I know that’s not easy), say something along the lines of “oh sorry mum, I thought I told you not to come until 11, it’s only 8 & I’m not ready. If it is dementia, there is no arguing with it, in her mind she is right. Taking the blame takes the stress off her & should at least defuse the anger

Denial because she really believes she is right, or denial because she knows something is wrong, but can’t face it, is common. You can’t “prove her wrong”, she’s not going to believe you, so you must by lying (if it is dementia)

Hopefully you will get her to the GP & it will turn out to be an infection or chemical imbalance & she can be treated.

Whatever the outcome, I hope you come back & let us know. Keep posting as there are lots of people who will try to help. TP is a mine of information, with someone around most of the time to listen & make suggestions
Thank you so much for your advice, you've addressed my key concerns so clearly. Thank you

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
As @Sam Luvit says see if you can get your mum to the doctors on another excuse, but drop in a letter with your concerns ahead of time. It took a couple of goes for my mother's GP to take our concerns seriously as she passed the mini memory test and in a general conversation she seemed fine. It wasn't till my brother steered the conversation round to mum's paranoia about her neighbours that he could see why we were worried. We still don't have an official diagnosis for her as, although she was referred to the memory clinic, she wouldn't go. If you do get a referral don't tell your mum what the appointment is for until its too late!
Although it will make her furious with you (and I hate it when my mother rages at me) I think you need new child care arrangements as your mum doesn't sound safe to be on her own with small children anymore

Milatoschris

May 29, 2018
Hi,
I've been worried about my mum a while. She lives alone since my dad passed almost five years ago. She's 72. She seems to think all of her clocks are wrong and sees nothing wrong with the fact she turned up at my house at 5am when she should have come at 10am to look after my 18month old. She regularly struggles to tell the time. I bought her an atomic clock, but she can't read it?? She keeps turning up to things on the wrong time and even he wrong day. Today I had to explain to her (after she became irate at a friend) that today was February 20th, not march the 1st which is the date they'd agreed in the diary. She couldn't understand and decided her diary was wrong and it's all to do with this 'darkness'. Yesterday she accused me of lying. She says she's spoken to people today, when it was last week. She lost her keys and was convinced they were stolen; I asked her if she'd checked under the sofa (it's a powered recliner) before she called the locksmith. She said yes. I found her keys under the sofa when i visited two days later.

I am worried as she looks after my little boy. But she's always told me I'm not to take him off her and after her accusation of lying yesterday I can see shes becoming more paranoid. I've never lied to her. Over the last few weeks where she's forgotten what day appointments are, when she's meeting friends or looking after my boy, I've spoken to her about her memory. She insists it's all fine. Today I outright said I'd like to go with her to the doctor's to see about her memory. She became very defensive. She said there's nothing wrong and she'd only see a doctor if she had to.

She's increasingly emotional and paranoid. She needs to know what I'm doing all the time. I called her GP and he just told me to get he to book an appointment and come with her. What do I do about getting her in? And how do I keep my little boy safe? She took him for a walk the other day but he's not very good at holding hands and years ago my tiny dog dragged mum over (she's not steady on her feet) so I hate to think what would have happened if my little boy had decided to throw a tantrum.

What should I do? It's really worrying me. My husband got angry with her at the weekend as she only put my little boys meal in the microwave for 17seconds when it should have been 2.5 mins. She insisted it was in for the correct time but he'd watched her do it. So now he's public enemy number one and she's decided he must also be aggressive with me. She also told a friend of mine that I overmedicate my little boy, which is frightening that she thinks that.

Please help.

Milatoschris

May 29, 2018
Hi when I became concerned about my husband, he insisted nothing was wrong. We contacted the GP making a double appointment, explaing our concerns. We then told my husband that the surgery phoned and wanted him to have a general checkup. He accepted this, and once the GP spoke to him, we had the test and he was diagnosed. I hope this helps x

Yorkshirerose

Feb 22, 2019
My mum is 65 with Alzheimer’s. It was a long journey to get diagnosis and until we did charities turned us away due to not having an proper label.

I don’t think you should leave your son with her. My mum had my nieces, age 2 and 5, and she got lost taking them to school. Luckily another parent recognised them and took her back to my sisters. She gave them out of date food. When I took her to Edinburgh with my children we went to a restaurant and I went to the toilet and cane back to find her and the kids gone. She’d forgotten where she was and shouted at the children to get their coats on and they did. I had kittens trying to find them. This was all before diagnosis.

I went home on Xmas eve a year ago to find my dad dying in bed, it turned out he’d been there three weeks and she’d not got help. She just told us he was asleep when we rang. He died five days later. We realised then that we’d lost mum too. She claimed there was nothing wrong with her and that we were trying to steal her money. She refused to go to the doctors. In the end the doctor arranged for the nurse to come to her home and we didn’t tell her. When we got a doctor to come and do the test at home she was screaming and shouting at us. We just said we’ve just lost our dad, we don’t want to lose you too. There are tablets that can help keep you with us for longer. My little sister has breast cancer and was having chemo so when mum refused the tests my sister lost it as she was going through a lot tougher time and without her mum as we couldn’t trust mum to look after the kids during her chemotherapy.
It took seven months of begging for help to get a diagnosis. But other than the tablets helping at first now she’s deteriorating again but she’s finally told her friends and attends a group for younger people with Alzheimer’s. Prior to all this my mum was just very angry and shouting at me, she still gets upset that it’s half term and I can’t trust her to care for my children in her own. It’s heartbreaking but it’s just not safe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet