And so it goes on...

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thank you, my husband is having a trial day next week so not counting my chickens yet! X

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
If you google image resizing you should get a selection of website that do this for free, my OH does this for his woodworking forums

AliceA

May 27, 2016
If you google image resizing you should get a selection of website that do this for free, my OH does this for his woodworking forums

Thank you, I will try again. Kept saying too large but I was unsure what to do.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
My brother is here for a couple of days and I can’t say enough how wonderful it is to have another person to help, to take up some of the slack, and they get on well. Just to have a conversation with a sensible person is so good.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Thanks @PalSal - I will get onto it - less stress !
I am anxious tonight with my husband going on ‘holiday’ tomorrow - just need to remember they will be professionals - but still worry :eek:
It’s good to hear of your guest too Grahamstown - my sisters in-law took husband out for lunch and were gone 3 hours ! Very generous of them ! X

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
It was so good having my brother who is kind and considerate with my husband and has learned very fast the ups and downs of the course of the disease. He was not a lot of trouble @canary and will get cups of tea and help with my husband taking him for a walk and chatting to him. It has done OH the world of good having another person around. He has gone now but will come again in a couple of months. I think it’s helped me too, to be a bit more patient with my OH. I do hope you can relax from the anxiety of your OH going away without you @Mudgee Joy but I can imagine that you will take a bit of time to do that. Take care xx

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Well that bit of respite didn’t last long. Sitting in his chair saying ‘it’s time for my lunch’, then looking at the plate and saying how lovely and then that he cannot possibly eat all that, even though I could hardly give him a smaller amount, preceded and followed by heavy breathing which he hasn’t done during the visit and finally back on his bed even though he wasn’t up when I took my brother to the train. It is SO irritating must try harder... Maybe he is stressed by me asking him not to breathe like that.

BethRebecca

Jan 6, 2013
Somerset
Hi Grahamstown, I feel for you so much, It is heartbreaking. Isn’t it frightening when things seem to move on a pace. I find that I can get use to a behaviour and I think if I can keep things at that level we will get by ok, then something new is done or said that makes my tummy do somersaults. These things seem to be coming thick and fast recently. My husband is 70 and still fairly physically fit apart from an all consuming tiredness that comes on quickly. If I can manage that he has a nap/sleep before or after an outing/activity we can get along fairly well but today was an unintentional long but lovely day, and with the heat etc we were both ready for a meal and relax when we came home. Then I did it......... I didn’t put brain in gear before opening mouth when I noticed a garden table and chairs had been piled in the shed after I’d asked him this morning to leave it out. I only commented that he didn’t leave the garden furniture out as I had asked - yes I know I should have just ignored it, normally I would have - but then that was it, anger, aggression, not wanting to eat and finally lying fully dressed on the bed where he is nearly 6 hours later. He did silently take his meds when I took them to him. I know the repercussions of him sleeping so long, especially if he stays there until morning (as much as I’m enjoying the peace) will be even more confusion rather than benefitting from a long sleep. The changes in him recently have been the anger, a lack of empathy, where he had still been quite caring and loving there is a coldness about him. I am trying to cope with also feeling angry at him because of this, I know it’s not the real him. It’s so hard isn’t it. I’m sorry I’ve encroached on your post, it just struck a cord with me. Take care, kind regards x

BethRebecca

Jan 6, 2013
Somerset
I feel for you. I know that anger and coldness and it is hard to deal with. My husband was being sarcastic earlier today and l was so upset l burst out Saying l hated him. We had only been together 18 months when the dementia started so no long history for us. Of course l don’t hate the man l married but this sarcastic nasty creature because of his illness l find very hard to deal with.

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
You both need the time out - if possible most days - the time needs to be there so you can take stock. I use a range of things - cleaner, relatives, carers -it’s not easy almost any day will be a trial . My husband is kind as you have said Grahamstown - but enemy he can be short with me when pushed - and talks a lot of nonsense most days - and is so tired and eating very poorly - I’m trying just snacks now - must be off - I will report again on his weekend away - uuuuuu gggggg. fingers crossed x

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I had been wondering why he gets up so late some days, lunchtime in some cases, and other days at a normal time for breakfast. It’s obvious really in his case. I have begun to put a glass of beer or wine evenings together with getting up late and they match. We only have it weekends usually but when my brother was here he had a glass both nights which resulted in a very late rising. I only let him have a maximum of a medium glass of wine or a pint of beer, far less than he would like, but it seems to affect him adversely. It’s the disease in his head I know but that’s no reason to let him damage himself more.

I am thinking of your weekend without him @Mudgee Joy and hope you are doing ok.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Working my way through the MOOC course online. So far I realise how much I have learned about ‘dementia’ from TP, and how valuable it is as a source of information and help. I am quite cynical about the subject because I know that there is no cure in sight and that all the healthy living in the world doesn’t protect you as my dear husband is living proof. Still it’s early days and I shall enjoy it.

This morning we went along to the care home I visited last week and we were welcomed and had complimentary coffees sitting in the café which was like a conservatory. We looked around the gardens. He really enjoyed it and I played it low key and said it was a lovely place for a break with help if you need it, and that I was looking for me in case I couldn’t look after myself. If we call up we can go for lunch next time. The manager came to say goodbye and said she would value our feedback about the food. He of course straightened up, smiled, said hello and exchanged pleasantries, said what a lovely place, as if he was the last person to need to come here. Good thing I know about host mode or I would be feeling really stupid. The minute we left it was back to so tired, huffing and puffing and feeling weak. A very small lunch and back in bed now.

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
We would all like our old life back and live "normally" @Grahamstown but when you are caring (especially with dementia) its not possible and there has to be compromises (all on our side). If your OH can be left for a short time, that is great, but if not then develop a passion for things that can be done at home - birdwatching, knitting, researching your family tree, or otherwise get in sitters.

Have a great time at the cinema :)
What are you going to see?

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
Hi,

I agree It is a big commitment to take on a caring role for someone with dementia and its a tough long road, you go throgh so many different stages, so many difficuties. At time you lose your temper and you feel guilty for losing your temper. You cry a lot, it gets lonely you miss your normal life.

You need to find a balance, you need help to free up time for yourself.
We are lucky as my brother and sister in law work as a team supporting one another.

We took our Mum out a lot, up until November last year we were taking her to the Market where she would have pie and mash and I would take her in sainsburys we would only be out for a couple of hours but it reminder her of what she used to do and she remembered where she lived and that she was home. (She sometimes thought she was somewhere else)

We do it because we love her and she never wanted to go into a home and we never wanted to put her in a home.

Mum is in the end stages now and we will all be lost when she is gone.
You really have to commit 100% to looking after someone at home. Even with carers it not easy and we have fab carers. The road is long....

A bit of a ramble from me.

Christine