Dementia and Macular Degeneration

GordonMB

Feb 20, 2019
my wife, Eileen, was diagnosed as suffering from Alzheimer's Disease about three years ago, just after she was also told that she had macular degeneration (dry version) for which there is no cure. The short term memory problems are probably not much worse than at the time of the dementia diagnosis but her sight has deteriorated so that now she can neither read nor watch television.
Eileen was very active in craft activities but now cannot cope. The upshot is that she is often at a loss to know what to do with herself and does not like being inactive. Concentration on talking books is difficult because of the memory problem.
Is there anyone on Talking point who has solved this problem of boredom. Eileen can still chat to friends and relatives on the phone which I try to encourage,
Regards
GordnMB

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @GordonMB you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I find that boredom is a common issue because of the loss of memory and cognitive ability. This must be even worse when an eye condition is also involved and I wonder if the RNIB Helpline may be able to aid you with that aspect. Here's a link that you can click to check that out https://www.rnib.org.uk/services-we-offer-advice-and-support-services/helpline.

Otherwise I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area and maybe you could find help there. Social interaction helps my wife and I found our local Memory Café through the local support services page. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of these haven't been done already.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience. Indeed, I hope you will get some replies from members who have faced the same issue as yourself.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome from me too, Gordon.
Would your wife still enjoy music, my partner can't follow television most days, but put a CD on and she is happy for an hour or so. Some memory cafes here have music and encourage people to sing alone, is that something worth trying. She also loves company and cake, would your wife be able to get out to a garden centre with a café where she can enjoy the smells while getting the thrill of an outing?

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
Hi Gordon,

My mum was loaned a lovely easy to use digital radio from 'wireless for the blind'. It has four big push buttons (in bright yellow) which I tuned in to an assortment of programmes and although she couldn.'t always follow what was being said, she enjoyed having it on and found it good company..

It is very difficult. Mum also could occupy herself for a while with a basketful of tea towels or pillow cases to fold up. Sadly now she is happiest sat doing nothing.

Brambles

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
Hi Gordon,

My heart goes out to you, my mother just suffered sudden eye loss about two weeks ago.

I have found just talking about it on this site helpful and have been given some good advice.

Mum is having difficulty adjusting to what is happening and thinks we have left her in a dark place, but I found playing her music helps and also jusy talking to her a lot. My Mum is in the later stages of Dementia so we are struggling a bit.

I think it might be agood idea to take your Mum out if she is well enough.

I wish you well.

Tot

Sep 15, 2013
Hi Gordon,

My heart goes out to you, my mother just suffered sudden eye loss about two weeks ago.

I have found just talking about it on this site helpful and have been given some good advice.

Mum is having difficulty adjusting to what is happening and thinks we have left her in a dark place, but I found playing her music helps and also jusy talking to her a lot. My Mum is in the later stages of Dementia so we are struggling a bit.

I think it might be agood idea to take your Mum out if she is well enough.

I wish you well.

Tot

Sep 15, 2013
Our mother also has dementia and macular, she's no longer able to follow the story of talking books but she does enjoy the local talking newspaper. She also has the RNIB player which she is just about managing to use. We have bought her a radio where she only has one button to press for on and off ~ we preset volume and tuning. Hope that helps.

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
Our mother also has dementia and macular, she's no longer able to follow the story of talking books but she does enjoy the local talking newspaper. She also has the RNIB player which she is just about managing to use. We have bought her a radio where she only has one button to press for on and off ~ we preset volume and tuning. Hope that helps.

Doggy86*

Sep 2, 2018
Islington
Hi Tot,

The talking newspaper and radio sound great and other people on here would find that information very helpful.

Our Mother is too far advanced in her Dementia now to use those items
now, she is suffering now in later final stages of dementia. Its just cruel that this happened to her so suddenly.