Toileting at nite

archiebald

Jan 12, 2016
My OH needs help toileting day time is not as much bother as nites I get him up just before I go to bed as we still sleep in same bed I can tell if he needs toilet by his movement in bed I can be up at least 2 to 3 times during nite which doesnt help my and his sleep if I dont get him up I can have wet bed should I let him sleep so that we both have some kind of nites sleep or should I continue getting him up so that he doesnt loose ability to do his buisiness in toilet and be more incontinent ..I am a light sleeper best of time

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Could you try putting him in incontinence pants at night? It would mean that you would both get an undisturbed night and you could still continue to help him to the toilet during the day.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You can't train someone with dementia to not wet the bed. All you can do is react to it. Inco pads are a good start, and Kylie sheets will help too with absorbing the moisture and help prevent soaking the sheets and mattress, because no one wants to sleep in a wet patch. I always valued OH's sleep (and mine!) too much to fancy getting up every few hours to change him, especially as it wouldn't have changed much anyway - incontinence is unpredictable and comes when it wants.

archiebald

Jan 12, 2016
Hi sorry forgot to add I use pads and undersheets but when he moves to get up I have to get up with him as he doesnt always manage his pants and cant clean himself Im not trying to train him just trying to keep him used to being able to go to toilet instead of lying and wetting himself pads dont always hold the urine he was so wet one nite he was wet up to his neck..I will try not to get up tonite see how it goes as I need a full nites sleep

archiebald

Jan 12, 2016
Could you try putting him in incontinence pants at night? It would mean that you would both get an undisturbed night and you could still continue to help him to the toilet during the day.
Hi Louise sry forgot to mention I use pads pants sheets I thought it best if he was still able to go to toilet then he wouldnt for now lose that ability instead if being left to do it in pad I am a light sleeper so know the signs if hes needing to go so just get him up to toilet we do both fall over again but still broken sleep I will try not to get him up tonite but the pads dont always hold see how it goes

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It might seem radical, but a lot of coupes do well with different bedrooms in order not to disturb each other, or they replace the double bed with two singles. It might be something to think about?

Because pads don't always hold the urine you need Kylie sheets to wick away the moisture. Just an undersheet won't do the trick.
https://www.incontinenceuk.co.uk/Kylie-Washable-Bedsheets.html#incontinence_products

As an aside, if your husband needs nightly help with toileting, he should be a candidate for the higher rate Attendance Allowance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba