Respondents v People to Notify COP1 form Help

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
Help what needs to be put in sectons 5.1 and 5.2 on COP1 Deputy Form tried calling COP long wait tried Alzheimers helpline had to leave number.

Section 5.1 Respondents do I have to put my Fathers name (who we are applying for deputyship for)
Or do I leave blank. My sister and I are applying jointly.

5.2 re people to be notified.do I put his 3 Grandchildren that are over 18 or 2 of.them and my husband.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Your father is the person who the application refers to.
A respondent is someone who has an interest in the application - usually the partner/parents/children of the person the application refers to - so anyone who fits this category (apart from yourself and sister, who are the applicants) should be named as a respondent. This section can be left blank if there are no respondents.

With regards people to notify, this would be people in order of closeness of relationship to your Father. If he has brothers/sisters they would usually be considered above grandchildren. Is your husband closer to your Father than his grandchildren? If so, name him first otherwise you can include him after the grandchildren if you feel he needs to be notified (3 people have to be notified as a minimum but you can name more).

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
Thank you so much. I am putting my niece, my husband and my eldest son. If I could I would leave blank as everyone he is close to already knows as we completed the forms together. But as I have to write something will name the above.

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
Thank you so much. I am putting my niece, my husband and my eldest son. If I could I would leave blank as everyone he is close to already knows as we completed the forms together. But as I have to write something will name the above.
We did LPA with our solicitor and did not notify anyone.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
No problem - it will be helpful to others to know that the process is different :)

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
Your father is the person who the application refers to.
A respondent is someone who has an interest in the application - usually the partner/parents/children of the person the application refers to - so anyone who fits this category (apart from yourself and sister, who are the applicants) should be named as a respondent. This section can be left blank if there are no respondents.

With regards people to notify, this would be people in order of closeness of relationship to your Father. If he has brothers/sisters they would usually be considered above grandchildren. Is your husband closer to your Father than his grandchildren? If so, name him first otherwise you can include him after the grandchildren if you feel he needs to be notified (3 people have to be notified as a minimum but you can name more).
Can I just ask where you read it has to be at least 3 people notified. As in the end all I have put are my niece and my husband as my son is only 19 and still lives with my husband and I.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It was on the OPG website. Cant post the link at the moment as at work and on mobile but if you Google OPG and COP1 completion you should find it (In your initial post you refer to naming 3 people too). I'll post a link this evening if you can't find the info.

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
It was on the OPG website. Cant post the link at the moment as at work and on mobile but if you Google OPG and COP1 completion you should find it (In your initial post you refer to naming 3 people too). I'll post a link this evening if you can't find the info.
Thank you. Just seems a bit crazy naming 2 people that live with me. Also I saw a lady say that she only named her 2 daughters. Thank you for all your help.