Dad home from hospital, things have changed.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
The cough could be related to the pneumonia as well if it hasn't cleared properly I guess?

Yes that is a possibility but we didn't notice it the first two nights but that could be because he slept like a log then. The last two nights he has coughed a lot.

I am keeping a good eye on him as we don't want a recurrence of the pneumonia. Definitely not.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Unfortunately not @MaNaAk I had no sleep last night and tonight looks to be the same. Dad went to bed quite early last night but did not sleep, he just called me time and time again to ask where he was. It is very sad and very wearing, then he got up at about 2 am and spent a couple of hours in the chair rambling away quietly to himself. At 4 am I got him back to bed and the same thing happened. He doesn't know where he is, he doesn't recognise his own home half the time..

He has also developed a worrying cough and is drinking a lot of fluid which is good. I am thinking the cough may be connected to the cancer but he seems ok otherwise. I have just got him out of bed into his front room with us and he has promptly fallen asleep.

I think he is frightened of being on his own especially in the dark but then he tells me to turn the light off because he wants to go to sleep. Two minutes later he doesn't know where he is again. I am not sure how long this can go on but at least my husband is here tonight so I may get some sleep.

He is getting the hang of his frame especially last night as he went to the toilet numerous times.

Oh well we will see.

Dear Duggies-girl,

I hope you had some sleep last night. My brother bought some night lights when dad's Alzheimers was mild and for a while this was reassuring. They come on when someone gets up and turn off when they go back to sleep. It is cost effective and also a form of security as our road had criminals smashing car windows over Christmas.

That said your dad has spent some time in hospital so I think he may need more recuperation. However you need to rest so I'm glad your husband is there. Do you have more carers now?

Hugs

MaNaAk

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hello, @Duggies-girl, and I am sorry to hear things are still so difficult, and concerned to hear about the coughing. I have been offline for a couple of days and am just starting to get caught up and wanted to see how you are.

I think getting his cough checked out is a good idea and that calling the Macmillan nurses is also a great idea. I have heard they can be very helpful and hope they have some advice and information for you.

Nothing else to add, except please try to look after yourself and sending (((((((hugs)))))) your way.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
As @MaNaAk says it takes time to recover from a stay in hospital. John has had a mixed few days since coming out and I am starting to think along care home lines too. The daycentre had to put him in a wheelchair today as he wouldn't stand or walk. I'll try him again next week but meanwhile I have a dead weight on my hands. Things have taken a bit of a nosedive here I'm afraid.

Hope your Dad is doing a bit better.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
@Duggies-girl yes it does take time and I am still thinking about you and your dad
however I am also thinking about @marionq and sending you both hugs. After dad came out of respite care last year he had another fall and his sugar level was 2%. However before I realised it was his diabetes I thought it was his back problem so I tried to help him out of the chair and I realised l just couldn't do it.

I had already been thinking about dad going into the care home permanently and what with my brother thinking that dad was playing up after I said that I had phoned the paramedics again I realised that I couldn't go on like this. When dad went in permanently he settled in with no problems but I have to say that I did grieve a bit because I felt I had his fate in my hands. If things had gone on as they were I would have made myself ill and several people said that my shingles was a result of stress.

If you both decide on a care home it doesn't mean that you will stop being a carer because you will continue to be a carer but you will be caring from afar.

Thinking of you both

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I forgot to say that tomorrow I am taking dad to his diabetic review so I am bringing a spare walking stick in case he tries to leave the home with Barbara's. I am afraid that care homes are like Bermuda triangles!

MaNaAk