Mum back to her old self?

CloudyDay

Feb 18, 2019
Mum had been showing symptoms of early dementia for a while, then when dad died she went downhill rapidly, finally being diagnosed a year ago. So in all, she has been having memory loss and confusion for around 4 years.
During the last six weeks has seemed to become like her old self again. Her ability to hold a conversation has improved, she is talking like her old self, she has changed her attitude toward me completely. Is this a normal pattern in the Alzheimer's timeline? Could it be because she is happier in herself now in that she has come to terms with dad's death and she has more company now (she now has a carer that she gets on with)? So confusing!

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
Hello @CloudyDay ....I can't really help with your question as I'm not a hands-on carer, but wanted to welcome you to the forum, and I'm sure there will be others along a bit later to answer you. Whatever the reason for your mum's improvement, it's so lovely and I hope you are able to enjoy it for a long time.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @CloudyDay, welcome to the forum from me too.

I have read of this happening a couple of times since I joined the forum. I can’t recall the thread titles but you may be able to find them using the search facility, or someone else may be able to give you a link.

You may have hit on something with the working through grief and getting more interaction. Things like grief and illness or injury can cause downturns from which a person can rebound in whole or part. Social interaction is known to concentrate the mind and enable the brain to work a little better. Music is also known to help activate the mind and I see that with my own wife.

Whatever the reason, I’m happy for your mum and you and hope it continues. It’s fantastic to read such good news.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets about all aspects of dementia.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

SewHappy

Feb 3, 2019
My mum, PWD, used to live with my stepfather and he refused all offers of help. They got stuck in a terrible rut which meant they and the house weren't clean and all they did was sit in one room and watch TV. They only went out for essentials and wouldn't come out on trips. Stepfather died and, with mum's consent, she moved into a lovely care home near me. She perked up she saw cleanliness, people who wanted to engage with her and various activities. So in the gaps between activities mum grumbles about only having the TV in her room to watch, she joins in activities as best she can, she sees the hairdresser once a week, looks forward to her showers and has just about got her head around the laundry process. This last one is a bit tricky only because she can run a bit paranoid and she thinks someone has stolen her things. Within a week of moving into the home she demanded new clothes as she realised how tatty her old ones were. Oh and she would like to go out on some trips.

Yes, I got some of mum back. No, it's not perfect as the paranoia kicks in sometimes, she does sundown, she has good and bad days and repetitive behaviours and questions that are draining and frustrating. Her language skills are failing fast and that's all very sad to see. But yes, mum did perk up when her circumstances changed. I have no doubt she loved my stepfather and she grieved his passing I just think it's the change of living environment that perked her up.