Eating Problems

Susi T

Jan 12, 2007
Leamington Spa
Hi all,

Dad is into his 3rd week at nursing/care home after nearly 12 months in assessment unit. Within his first couple of weeks he has had 2 TIA's, 2 bad falls (he has now got broken nose) and urine infection. I have been told today that he started storing food in his mouth yesterday, they have puried his food however he is refusing to open his mouth!!! Where do we go from here? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Unfortunately, I have not been to visit for well over a week, I have had chest infection.

Thanks
Sue

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hello Susie T

We had long term major problems with our Mum and food. She had several TIAs that we weren't initially aware of and continuous UTIs.

Some tips that might help from us before others come along are :

Check false teeth - (if he has them) - are they hurting and are they his own ! If he's lost weight - do they still fit ?
Check for mouth ulcers or thrush (very common link with UTIs - can be caused by antibiotics and gives a VERY sore mouth)
Give finger food
Try a straw
Try anything soft & sweet - choc. mousse , runny porridge etc - can't pouch this !
See if the CH have the build up drinks (Ensure) - either milk style or fruit juice style,

In our experience with Mum the problems started off being just physical but sorry to say eventually became a feature of her Alzheimers. Maybe the move has unsettled him - 12 months in an assessment unit is a long time and the new place will be so strage to him - this may ease over time. With all these probs.- TIAs etc, eating could be the very last thing on his mind ! Also with a broken nose the food may not smell good (sense of smell and taste are very closely linked) I'm sure if someone is feeling ill with a UTI - this will stop them eating too.

One thing that sometimes helped was a fruit jiuce ice lolly lightly pressed against Mum's closed lips (but do check for any chapping first as fruit juce can sting.) This got her to open her mouth and take a tiny bit of fluid.

Our consultant also said we had to consider whether refusing food (co-operation ) was the only bit of power and control she had left and somewhere in her mind she was determined not to give in to everything ! Not sure this happened all the time but there were occasions when we thought "yes - you are being a bit akward Mum"

Sorry I've been so long winded - really I'm trying to say - "well I'm not surprised he doesn't feel like eating at the moment. Would you ??"

Hope upon hope it sorts itself out very soon. It gets so worrying just as you must have thought you had him settled.

regards
Germain

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Sue

Have the home called in the speech therapist? Those are the the people in the medical profession who dealing with swallowing problems. If he's "pouching" his food, it does sound like the disease may have reached the part of the brain that deals with swallowing - you're going to need a professionals input on this.

Best wishes

Susi T

Jan 12, 2007
Leamington Spa
Thanks for the tips Germain and Jenniferpa, unfortunately I haven't seen him for a while with being bunged up with cold, hopefully I will see him later on in the week, I do worry as I am the only visitor he has. The home has said how weak he is getting and sleeping for majority of the time.

Thanks Germain for your suggestions will talk to the home tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions of their own.

Although the Assessment Unit wasn't the best place one thing I could be sure of was they racted quite quickly to any change at all with Dad's eating, catheter etc.

Once again, thank you to you both.

Susi XX

Susi T

Jan 12, 2007
Leamington Spa
Hi Everybody

Nursing home rang this morning to say that Dad had took a turn for the worse, he is not eating or drinking now, spoke to doctor and we are of the same opinion that we will let nature take its course. Bless him, doctor thinks he may have had another "incident" which has left him not knowing how to swallow! I personally think he has just given up.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Ah Susi, I am so sorry to hear this. Whatever the reason, I think you're right to let nature take it's course.

Best wishes