Thoughts Please

Chipsfriend

Feb 16, 2019
Hi Everyone,

New to Forum. Mum is 82 and in End Stage Dementia. I looked after her at home for three years when the rest of the family could not be bothered. In the end she had to go into a care home. I suffer from depression and my Mum's poor health was bringing me down too. At first everything was fine with care home but then Mum got attacked by a resident. She was distraught but nothing was done. I raised the matter with the Council but they did as little as they could get away with. Nothing changed. Mum was without water, Mum defecated in public twice in the home's coffee lounge, I found her sobbing in bed covered in urine on numerous occasions. I complained to the home but nothing was done. I complained to the Council but they said 'it was dementia'. She has had four unwitnessed falls and ended up in A & E each time - distraught, terrified and each time with a decline in her mental health. After the fifth visit she was found to have a chest infection and flu. She has just been returned to the home and is continuing her refusal now of food, water and medication.

The Council have elected to return her to the same place, despite my wanting her moved. This is after numerous Safeguards I have raised. The feeling I have got is that if the Council did move her it would be a comment on the care home and they would then have to answer the question of 'What about all the other residents?' I have emailed the CE, Head of Social Services, Head of Complaints etc but got nowhere. I sat with Mum two hours on a concrete floor at Christmas waiting for an ambulance for her third trip to A & E and sent my Mum's photo. She looked like one of those dreadful news stories about pensioners being mugged.

I have a solicitor. We are approaching the Ombudsman but I am told that could take months. Mum probably hasn't got months. Am I wrong to say that this is what the Council and care home is banking upon? I am so angry. This is my Mum. I want to approach the media. Is that wrong?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi Everyone,

New to Forum. Mum is 82 and in End Stage Dementia. I looked after her at home for three years when the rest of the family could not be bothered. In the end she had to go into a care home. I suffer from depression and my Mum's poor health was bringing me down too. At first everything was fine with care home but then Mum got attacked by a resident. She was distraught but nothing was done. I raised the matter with the Council but they did as little as they could get away with. Nothing changed. Mum was without water, Mum defecated in public twice in the home's coffee lounge, I found her sobbing in bed covered in urine on numerous occasions. I complained to the home but nothing was done. I complained to the Council but they said 'it was dementia'. She has had four unwitnessed falls and ended up in A & E each time - distraught, terrified and each time with a decline in her mental health. After the fifth visit she was found to have a chest infection and flu. She has just been returned to the home and is continuing her refusal now of food, water and medication.

The Council have elected to return her to the same place, despite my wanting her moved. This is after numerous Safeguards I have raised. The feeling I have got is that if the Council did move her it would be a comment on the care home and they would then have to answer the question of 'What about all the other residents?' I have emailed the CE, Head of Social Services, Head of Complaints etc but got nowhere. I sat with Mum two hours on a concrete floor at Christmas waiting for an ambulance for her third trip to A & E and sent my Mum's photo. She looked like one of those dreadful news stories about pensioners being mugged.

I have a solicitor. We are approaching the Ombudsman but I am told that could take months. Mum probably hasn't got months. Am I wrong to say that this is what the Council and care home is banking upon? I am so angry. This is my Mum. I want to approach the media. Is that wrong?

Dear Chipsfriend,

Welcome to Talking Point! To a certain point I am in a similar position to you because I cared for dad on my own for three years with two invisibles but your poor mother!

I have never had a problem with dad's care home but I think that the body that you need to complain to is the Care Quality Commission and I would suggest that you phone the Alzheimers Society in case they can give you a phone number.

Hugs to both of you

MaNaAk

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to read of your mum's situation and can understand how worrying that must be.

As suggested it might be useful to call the Alzheimer Society Helpline and talk it through with one of the advisers there.

The details are as follows -

Helpline

Phone number - 0300 222 11 22

Opening hours -
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Last edited:

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi there and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to read of your mum's situation and can understand how worrying that must be.

As suggested it might be useful to call the Alzheimer Society Helpline and talk it through with one of the advisers there.

The details are as follows -

Helpline

Phone number - 0300 222 11 22

Opening hours -
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm
It's a good thing you typed their number Izzy as I clearly forgot to do this!

MaNaAk

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Hi @Chipsfriend Another welcome to the forum!

You have been given some good advice above to get started with. I haven't got much to add other than your solicitor is right to use the existing sources out there just as the LG Ombudsman and just wanted to add that I'm so sorry to read what you and your mum have been through.

Chipsfriend

Feb 16, 2019
Horrific PS to all this: just got a phone call from care home that they have called paramedics with a view to taking her to A & E again. She refused all fluids, food and tablets and is in bed, moaning frighteningly incoherently, with a high temperature. I went to the home as soon as they rang but couldn't wake her but also couldn't do another trip to A & E. I feel horrible for saying it, for doing it, but I can't bear the distress in her, the screams, the fear. I have let her down. Every day she was in hospital I went for breakfast, lunch and tea sitting there trying to get her to eat and drink. I am exhausted. I didn't think I would be this person. I hate the thought of her being alone in A & E and I hate myself for not being better.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I know how you feel as I called the paramedics out five times last year because dad has diabetes as well as Alzheimers and when he refuses to eat it is frightening. This is why, like you, I had to decide that I could no longer look af ter him at home. I did my best and I am continuing to do my best you are an angel and your couldn't ask for a better daughter. Have the hospital given you any diagnosis because it sounds like a urine infection which make her dementia worse? Also if you can you need to go home as soon as she is calm and try and get some rest.

Hugs to you and your mum

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Horrific PS to all this: just got a phone call from care home that they have called paramedics with a view to taking her to A & E again. She refused all fluids, food and tablets and is in bed, moaning frighteningly incoherently, with a high temperature. I went to the home as soon as they rang but couldn't wake her but also couldn't do another trip to A & E. I feel horrible for saying it, for doing it, but I can't bear the distress in her, the screams, the fear. I have let her down. Every day she was in hospital I went for breakfast, lunch and tea sitting there trying to get her to eat and drink. I am exhausted. I didn't think I would be this person. I hate the thought of her being alone in A & E and I hate myself for not being better.

Another I suggest you get in contact with her GP and try and get them to see your mum in the home or try and get one of your invisibles to go to the home and support you. Although that said in my experience to the latter suggestion and can be even more difficult.

Good luck

MaNaAk

myss

Jan 14, 2018
@Chipsfriend if you've done your best as you said, then you have not let your mum down as you cannot do anymore than that.

Have you heard anything more from the hospital?

Chipsfriend

Feb 16, 2019
Went to the home yesterday. She was rambling. Could not wake her up. Head Carer told me they saw that she refused food, water and medication all day but left her until they had to 'physically remove phlegm' from her mouth. Sounds invasive and frightening.

Going to hospital now. Will let everyone know.