Alzheimers fatigue

lauriets

Feb 15, 2019
Hi all, Anyone come across this,I have read about it but does it occur during the early stages? Do some people with Alzheimers get it and some don`t?Does it disappear later on with the progression of the disease? Or are all Alzheimers sufferers different? Can anything be done to combat the tiredness? My wife swears by Lucuzade,but it only gives a temperary boost to energy levels.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Every person experiences dementia in a different way, although the symptoms displayed tend to become similar as the condition progresses due to the brain pathology becoming less localised and more widespread.

Dementia itself can cause tiredness as the brain struggles to keep pace with the ever more confusing world and parts of the brain responsible for specific functions become damaged. I suppose what's left of the brain is going to be overworked and then that is going to be a tired brain.

Other things can also come into play. Things like side effects from meds and, something that my wife experiences, the person with dementia being more content when just resting, rather than struggling with life.

Caring for someone with dementia is always a struggle as their thoughts on life and lifestyle may not tally with the carers.

Expectations or wishes of carers will also vary. Judging by your posts to date, you seem to be struggling with this tiredness experienced by your wife. Others would see it as a blessed relief from symptoms like aggression, wandering, restlessness etc. Indeed, I fall into that latter category at times.

Due to this being a worry for you, may I suggest that a visit to the GP may help. A meds review may be in order, or there may even be some underlying condition causing the problems. Anxiety, apathy and depression are common bedfellows of dementia and can all cause lethargy. There is a Society Factsheet on this latter subject that can be found by clicking the second line of the following link
Apathy, depression and anxiety (444)
PDF printable version

Many soft drinks will only give that temporary boost because they may be little more than drinking refined sugar and that's the nature of that particular beast.

Last edited:

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
In my experience @lauriets fatigue is a feature of Alzheimer’s disease and is progressive, as time passes, the fatigue gets worse. From reasonably active a year ago at diagnosis to tiredness and wanting to sleep a lot, has taken the whole year, gradually getting worse. It must be said that he has had a steep decline over a short period of time. Eighteen months ago he was leading a full life. Even a couple of months ago he could do more than now and I let him do whatever he wants. He is contented with his quiet life so it’s not as if he expects more, because memory recall is now fleeting. I visited a care home yesterday and knew that he would be encouraged to do more there but I cannot undertake all the activities provided there. I do certain things but need his cooperation which is not always given. I agree with @karaokePete that I am happy for him to be contented and don’t want to push him but it’s not a life that I could live but then I am not the sick person. Other people give me ideas for stimulation and now I thank them and move on.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I feel the same, we went out to a lunch club and that wore him out for the rest of the day.
I think we have to be careful about over tiring the people we care about, we have to remember it takes more energy to follow simple instructions or activities. Some tiredness allows me to rest too!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar