Grandad in late stages of Alzheimers/Vascular Dementia

Frm1407

Jan 22, 2019
Hi, I'm new here and just wanted some advice if possible.
My grandad recently went into hospital with renal failure as he stopped eating and drinking, we managed to get him eating and drinking but then he fell in hospital and broke his hip, he's had a partial hip replacement and it's all been downhill from there, he ended up with delirium after the op and now for the last 2 days he's refused all food and drink, we used to be able to get him to at least drink but now it's not going well. He can barely move anymore and the last 2 days he's mouthed everything he's wanted to communicate. He's been sleeping and barely awake, not eating or drinking he is on fluids by IV at the moment. The doctors said best case scenario is that he starts eating and had a few months left to live but he seems to be getting worse and not wanting to even drink. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I think realistically it's the drip keeping him here and that he hasn't got long at all but a little part of me wants a miracle! Can't bare the thought of losing him! Sorry for the long post x

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Frm1407 and welcome to tp

It all sounds very difficult for the family at the moment, I would hope that your grandad is being kept comfortable and pain free.
I’m sure you don’t want to lose your special grandad.

chickenlady

Feb 28, 2016
Hi, I'm new here and just wanted some advice if possible.
My grandad recently went into hospital with renal failure as he stopped eating and drinking, we managed to get him eating and drinking but then he fell in hospital and broke his hip, he's had a partial hip replacement and it's all been downhill from there, he ended up with delirium after the op and now for the last 2 days he's refused all food and drink, we used to be able to get him to at least drink but now it's not going well. He can barely move anymore and the last 2 days he's mouthed everything he's wanted to communicate. He's been sleeping and barely awake, not eating or drinking he is on fluids by IV at the moment. The doctors said best case scenario is that he starts eating and had a few months left to live but he seems to be getting worse and not wanting to even drink. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I think realistically it's the drip keeping him here and that he hasn't got long at all but a little part of me wants a miracle! Can't bare the thought of losing him! Sorry for the long post x
My Dad had a fall in early October and seemed just to have bruised his arm, he went downhill very quickly and stopped eating in early November, we managed to keep him drinking.Sadly he died at the end of November. I'm sure that falls and the shaking of the brain do hasten the decline but although I loved him dearly and was terribly sad, I was also relieved that he didn't drag on for weeks or months, he wouldn't have wanted that. We were sad for us but relieved for him. Try tempting him with ice lollies, they aren't nutritious but they'll bring a smile and keep his mouth from getting sore. Also try a tot of his favourite tipple, just a tiny amount on a teaspoon. Keep visits cheery and make the most of your time with him.

Frm1407

Jan 22, 2019
Thank you. Sadly my grandad has gone downhill very fast, he has irregular breathing and is barely responsive now, you got a slight nod or shake of the head when you speak to him but nothing else, he also has very cold hands. I don't think he has long left

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry @Frm1407
My mum fell and broke her hip and had a surgical repair. She initially seemed to recover well, but she passed away 3 weeks later. This is a very difficult time and sometimes they hang on for so much longer than you expect. The irregular breathing and cold hands make me feel that you are probably right, though.

Frm1407

Jan 22, 2019
Im so sorry @Frm1407
My mum fell and broke her hip and had a surgical repair. She initially seemed to recover well, but she passed away 3 weeks later. This is a very difficult time and sometimes they hang on for so much longer than you expect. The irregular breathing and cold hands make me feel that you are probably right, though.

He's very unresponsive today, he will nod and everything and his breathing is still irregular so I don't know. He doesn't look very good at all and is just on iv fluids, hasn't eaten for a long time and he did drink but since last Sunday he won't touch a drink just feels like it's so cruel

Frm1407

Jan 22, 2019
Just an update, my grandad has been taken off all fluids and medication now and is only being treated with end of life medication I'm heartbroken, his doctor thinks he has a week at the very most left

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) @Frm1407

You are in the last long vigil now and this twilight world is difficult.
Remember that he will still be able to hear, even when he can no longer respond. I played mum her favourite music during her last days. I also talked to her and read to her from books she remembered from her childhood (Alice in Wonderland and the Pooh books).
Put moisturiser on her skin as it will be dry and salve on her lips. You can also get little brushes or sponges to moisten her mouth.

Frm1407

Jan 22, 2019
Thank you so much.
We're doing mouth care everyday as he has got really bad dry mouth and looks really sore, he hates it doing but it's for his own good.
It's down to him now, bless him ❤️