Help in filling out forms?

Rencat

Nov 15, 2018
Hi everyone, I live in York And my partner has just recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s early onset as she’s only 56 I’m desperately looking for someone in the area who will come and fill out the relevant forms to claim the right benefits, it myself am disabled, in a wheelchair, a right leg amputee and I’ve had a stroke which has left me with left side weakness. The doctor unwittingly pointed us first in the direction of age Uk who for obvious reasons can’t help us with her only being 56 I’m wondering if anyone out there can help us

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Rencat you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there. The local services search should give details of the local AS office who may be able to point you at someone to help with the forms

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience and someone who has had to deal with a similar issue may be along later to give you the benefit of their experience..

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Try your local Age UK, Alzheimer's Society or Carers Centre, they are usually happy to help.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hi everyone, I live in York And my partner has just recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s early onset as she’s only 56 I’m desperately looking for someone in the area who will come and fill out the relevant forms to claim the right benefits, it myself am disabled, in a wheelchair, a right leg amputee and I’ve had a stroke which has left me with left side weakness. The doctor unwittingly pointed us first in the direction of age Uk who for obvious reasons can’t help us with her only being 56 I’m wondering if anyone out there can help us
Hi the CAB citizens advice bureau were of a great help when I had to fill in forms for my mum and somebody on here said they visited their home to help them,they know how to answer the questions properly to help you get awarded the benefits https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Citizens Advice do home visits, talk to your local/nearest office. Also if there is an Admiral Nurse in your area - gp surgery/local council will be able to tell you this. Home visits done by them all the time. Do you or your wife have a social worker? If so, then they should help you with this claim. Once application completed and sent off then DWP should arrange a home visit - make sure you request this. Always and with all government offices confirm you are disabled and housebound, you may not be 100 per cent housebound, but you need them to come to you.

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
Hi the CAB citizens advice bureau were of a great help when I had to fill in forms for my mum and somebody on here said they visited their home to help them,they know how to answer the questions properly to help you get awarded the benefits https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/
I said they came to our home. Two ladies, one was learning, and they talked to me about every question. I remember they asked me about being up with my husband during the night. I told them I needed to help him out of bed and help him walking to the bathroom then wait for him to help him back to bed. This was early on before he became incontinent. They asked me to estimate how long I was out of bed helping him I said about 15mins once or twice a night. She said that that answer had probably got us the higher rate. You have to be disturbed for at least 20mins I think. We did get the higher rate. She filled in the forms with me then had a short chat with my husband. She also told me to ring her when I got a reply and she would deal with the form for a reduction in council tax. Very helpful.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I said they came to our home. Two ladies, one was learning, and they talked to me about every question. I remember they asked me about being up with my husband during the night. I told them I needed to help him out of bed and help him walking to the bathroom then wait for him to help him back to bed. This was early on before he became incontinent. They asked me to estimate how long I was out of bed helping him I said about 15mins once or twice a night. She said that that answer had probably got us the higher rate. You have to be disturbed for at least 20mins I think. We did get the higher rate. She filled in the forms with me then had a short chat with my husband. She also told me to ring her when I got a reply and she would deal with the form for a reduction in council tax. Very helpful.

My mum got the higher rate but she's bed bound now so doesn't need trips to the toilet, I hope they don't review the AA and say she would no longer need the higher rate,I do wake up to give her legs a rub when she says they are a little sore and reposition her for comfort and adjust her blankets,I might have to switch a light on for her or turn the tv on for a bit too, I do have to wake up most nights

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
@witts1973 .....I would have thought you would still be eligible for the higher rate.....you are having to reposition your mum at regular intervals to prevent bed sores, which is so important, and also to help her deal with her insomnia....don't dumb down what you do, it's really necessary and that should be recognised! Hope the review doesn't need to happen....I'm sure you've got more than enough to do without extra paperwork!

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
@witts1973 .....I would have thought you would still be eligible for the higher rate.....you are having to reposition your mum at regular intervals to prevent bed sores, which is so important, and also to help her deal with her insomnia....don't dumb down what you do, it's really necessary and that should be recognised! Hope the review doesn't need to happen....I'm sure you've got more than enough to do without extra paperwork!
We have not had a review in 4 years. My husband is also bedbound now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124