Can I make a Will?

Hattiecat

Feb 13, 2019
Hi
I have my 1st appointment with my GP tomorrow morning. I'm 62, widowed and living with my youngest son who is 23.
I have a history of anxiety/depression and now I'm aware of memory loss and being unable to cope with day-to-day tasks.
My question is, if I am diagnosed with early stage dementia can I alter my Will and arrange for power of attorney?
My condition is making it increasingly difficult for me to work or to drive; might I be eligible for any Benefits?

Many thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My question is, if I am diagnosed with early stage dementia can I alter my Will and arrange for power of attorney?

The answer to both is most likely yes.
Diagnosis does not mean lack of capacity, as long as the witness to the will and the LPA certificate provider assess you as having sufficient capacity you can take both actions.

My condition is making it increasingly difficult for me to work or to drive; might I be eligible for any Benefits?

An obvious benefit is PIP
https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility
if you have not reached state pension age or AA
https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/eligibility
If you are older.

Both require considerable disability.

Last edited:

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi
I have my 1st appointment with my GP tomorrow morning. I'm 62, widowed and living with my youngest son who is 23.
I have a history of anxiety/depression and now I'm aware of memory loss and being unable to cope with day-to-day tasks.

Many thanks

Hi @Hattiecat If I were you I would do the POA and will as soon as possible without worrying about any diagnosis. Who knows what the future holds. It is just precautionary and a sensible thing to do and when it's done, you can rest easy about them.

Hope your appointment goes well.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If you can even ask the question and understand what both documents mean, then decidedly yes!

Hattiecat

Feb 13, 2019
Hi @Hattiecat If I were you I would do the POA and will as soon as possible without worrying about any diagnosis. Who knows what the future holds. It is just precautionary and a sensible thing to do and when it's done, you can rest easy about them.

Hope your appointment goes well.
Good advice. This 'fright' will spur me into action (unless I forget ;-) )

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Definitely go ahead and do both. My mother did her LPA and Will about ten years ago, and I only started using the LPA three years ago. Always good to be prepared.

Chrissie B

Jan 15, 2019
North Yorkshire
Oh, good reminder!
Check with your local solicitor, some of them do free wills in March and October, and it's nearly March.
The idea is that they don't charge in the hope that you will leave money to a charity in your will, but there isn't a set fee, and you are under no obligation to do so.

El31

May 21, 2018
Absolutely! As long as you understand the decision being made at that time.
We are sure my mum has dementia , she is off to memory clinic next month. She def has capacity around financial affairs and property and her and my dad completed all LPA paperwork a few months back.
I work as a social worker and I can’t tell you how important it is to have this in place, as it also covers health and welfare meaning they are your decision maker over any care/treatment in future as long as it’s in your best interest (sorry to go on). Xx

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
If you're making a will and it's a simple one,and you have somebody that is able to do the paperwork and act as an executor that is much cheaper than having a solicitor as an executor that can cost an eye watering amount for work that I read is simple for most people to do

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan