Mother Inheriting Father's Full Govt. Pension ?

clearpath

Feb 20, 2018
Does anyone have exp. on what amount of a partner's higher pension a wife would receive after they have passed away ?

My mother has just below the basic pension due to an employer not paying in to her govt. pension in the past for a period of time, and my father has maybe 2 full tiers/levels of govt. pension.

Does the wife's pension stop and she starts to receive all of her husband's pension when the husband passes on ? Is that how it works ?

BlueFox

Dec 27, 2017
Hi,

When my Dad passed away, my Mom automatically received any benefits my Dad had.The only benefit she didn’t get was one related specifically to him I.e Attendance Allowance. All it took was a call to the DWP.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
After OH died, the change in my pension duly arrived on the doorstep. I was amazed at how much it was! I phoned my accountant, who said, in his nice dry accountants voice, I have a lot of ladies in your position asking me that!

If you can sort this when the death is registered ( his NI number is, I think, all you need) it’s done automatically and quickly.

clearpath

Feb 20, 2018
Great because she is a bit of a worrywort as her old boss not only took money from her salary for pension and never put it in, he never put his side in as well...but it's so long ago late 80s/early 90s that I think its beyond reporting him.....diabolical....and so she is under the basic pension rate.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Re that old boss - it might depend on when she found out. No one ever reported this fraud?

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
After OH died, the change in my pension duly arrived on the doorstep. I was amazed at how much it was! I phoned my accountant, who said, in his nice dry accountants voice, I have a lot of ladies in your position asking me that!

If you can sort this when the death is registered ( his NI number is, I think, all you need) it’s done automatically and quickly.
Hi is that a private pension your OH had that got passed to you or a state pension,I'm asking as my mum is a widow,thanks

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
State pension.
I only got half of his works presentation instead of two thirds cos I was so much younger than him. But one phonecall was enough to sort that out.

clearpath

Feb 20, 2018
Re that old boss - it might depend on when she found out. No one ever reported this fraud?
Sorry for late reply ..not logged in here in a while.
Hi, so much time passed that she just left it but it did impact her state pension.