Dad's Cataract Operation Follow Up What Is The Point Of Me Accompanying Dad?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

Last October I took dad to have his cataracts removed and we got so close to him having the op and then the consultant wanted to make sure that dad knew what was going to happen so he explained everything to dad even he should have been aware that I had done the same! He asked dad if he wanted to have the op and dad said no.

He said that he was reluctant to operate on someone who wasn't keen on the operation and then he asked me why I wanted dad to have it so I said that I wanted dad to recognise me for a bit longer. The doctor said he was still reluctant so everything thing was cancelled and then the doctor said there would be a follow up appointment so our GP and I waited for a letter to arrive and I decided to phone the hospital because I felt that I had waited long enough. Now I can't force dad to have the operation but I found out that he had been taken off the list! I reminded them that dad has severe Alzheimers and I said I wasn't consulted! With all the things we carers have to do whether our PWDs are in a care home or not we still have to chase these people up. I know that the NHS is stretched but I feel that I am too.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I just need to inform anyone reading this thread that it is warning that if you are expecting to hear from a hospital and you haven't heard anything you must phone. This is frustrating.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I just need to inform anyone reading this thread that it is warning that if you are expecting to hear from a hospital and you haven't heard anything you must phone. This is frustrating.
I think that has pretty much been the case for a few years...OH is under a consultant for ongoing monitoring following chemo a couple of years ago and is checked every 4 months. The last 3 appts we have had to chase and each time it has been 2 months after supposed timeframe due to shortage of senior staff.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I think that has pretty much been the case for a few years...OH is under a consultant for ongoing monitoring following chemo a couple of years ago and is checked every 4 months. The last 3 appts we have had to chase and each time it has been 2 months after supposed timeframe due to shortage of senior staff.

It's very difficult isn't it. I hope your OH is
alright. Dad seemed fairly happy today although he only had one hearing aid.

He also had someone else's underwear in his drawer and one of the other residents came into lounge wearing my coat!

MaNaAk

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Thanks for the heads-up @MaNaAk We're awaiting an appointment re. my dad's cataracts after an optician insisted that it was required and wrote to his GP. I hope the surgeon/consultant doesn't ask him if he wants the op as he won't understand or will give him a lecture on something else completely unrelated. :)

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I would worry about post operative eye care because a person with very poor memory and understanding might do some damage by rubbing, or refusing eye drops. Does there come a time when it's too late? I don't know, but I certainly understand why you would want to preserve or improve his vision if you can.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I agree with Kathrine, I had both my eyes done a year ago. The second was better than the first. After the first my eye felt full of grit, one has to put in drops very regularly for a month, two different types. 2 different types for a fortnight and 1 continued for two further weeks.
The grittiness made life very uncomfortable for a while but did ease however a shiel is needed to be worn at night. For a while I had flashing lights, my eye was very sensitive to bright light for longer. Sun glasses are advised when out,
I heard that in Spain people are issued with a pair. I have found ones with wide arms are best to stop side light.

My second a few months later was a bit easier I was given a shield but no dressing. Same issues but milder, a different surgeon; the first leaned on my good eye I did not dare say anything in case I disturbed him!

The operation meant clearer eyesight but that alone will not allow recognition of faces. The consultant has a right to be concerned. Aftercare is so very important.
Just a warning that you would have to ensure that this is in place for a month. There is a chart to fill in.

I am not sure my husband would cope.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou for your replies. I think I was also concerned about the hospital not informing anyone that dad had been taken off the list because it makes me wonder what else they don't inform patients and carers about.

MaNaAk

Peppie

Jul 9, 2017
Thankyou for your replies. I think I was also concerned about the hospital not informing anyone that dad had been taken off the list because it makes me wonder what else they don't inform patients and carers about.

MaNaAk
My dad had both eyes done and he was fine he didn't understand the op consultant asked me did I think my dad would lie still while he had the op I said yes as long as you tell him to. The drops are a pain but well worth it my dad comments on how he can see colours he also can look at his books with out his glasses now. Dads optician was great and said it would benefit him so consultants went ahead I hope you get it sorted it certainly enhanced my dads life.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It is very frustrating when people don't get back to us when we think they should. But I feel we have to take charge and follow up on everything. I suspect that makes me a rather irritating patient but I don't care. :p

As far as the cataract surgery is concerned, my sister and I decided against it for Mum. We realized that she would have picked and poked at her eyes and the aftercare would have been too much, even though she was in a nursing home at the time. She would have never kept the shield on overnight. As it was, Mum did get several eye infections from touching her eyes after touching who knows what else! The consultant said the surgery would only minimally improve her quality of life. After thinking over the pros and cons, we decided against it.

I had my cataracts removed last June and with my experience (which was good) I can say we definitely made the right decision.