Vascular dementia, drugs to sedate???

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
My OH has a complex medical background as well as Vascular/mixed dementia.
He is becoming quite uncooperative and snappy regarding issues to do with his day to day care for his safety, well being and hygiene.
The carer who comes in to our home, observed this today, and suggested I speak with the Dr with regard to getting some medication for him that will make him less confrontational and obstructive.

My question is, would such meds also affect him in such a way that he would not be able to enjoy the small things which give his life meaning - ie games of snooker, singing, bowls in the summertime etc etc.

I have no knowledge myself of these type of drugs.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
He is becoming quite uncooperative and snappy regarding issues to do with his day to day care for his safety, well being and hygiene.
The carer who comes in to our home, observed this today, and suggested I speak with the Dr with regard to getting some medication for him that will make him less confrontational and obstructive.
My question is, would such meds also affect him in such a way that he would not be able to enjoy the small things which give his life meaning - ie games of snooker, singing, bowls in the summertime etc etc..
My wife was sectioned for 6 months and they tried everything, problem was that anything that stopped her aggression (and I mean violent aggression) just made her fall over, a lot.
I doubt anything exists that will stop "snappy and uncooperative" without having a much greater effect on his quality of life in particular balance, coordination and short term memory with a side order of sleeping a lot more.
In people's head (like the carer) these magic medicines exist but in reality sedation, even low level sedation comes at a price and that's if you can find a doctor who's prepared to prescribe the "chemical cosh" in this day and age.
Anti depressants worked for a while with my wife and they did calm her down for a time but in time I guess she became immune to them and she was taken off them, that made things a whole lot worse very quickly possibly because they'd been masking some of her decline.
Best thing is tell the GP and ask what they are able and willing to prescribe but sedation is just that sedation, it's not specific to one symptom it's more of a global effect on the whole of a person's behaviour, awareness levels, balance, memory and a whole lot of other things, it's not a decision to be taken lightly.
K

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
I started using Dipiperon very infrequently a few years back. I started out using 1/2 a tablet as I was finding him difficult to handle and his doctor felt it appropriate. (Sundowning and obstructive behavior) Then we went thru a particularly bad time, about a year ago. There was a very brief period of perhaps one week where I used 3 pills on a given day. Luckily, whatever was bothering recessed and moved to the back of his mind.
Things moved along and now we are back to one pill in the evening after his relatively early dinner. And if he is still pacing and anxious another at about 8:30, I give him a second But generally we use one pill an evening.
We have not experienced balance issues as my hubby is still quite fit. But it is a sedative and it affects him.

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
My wife started having violent delusions 6 months ago and the doctor prescribed calming tablets which have worked very well. The problem is that the dosage needs to be increased as time goes on but there are no good remedies for Alzheimer's.

That'sMyBaby

Mar 19, 2019
My wife started having violent delusions 6 months ago and the doctor prescribed calming tablets which have worked very well. The problem is that the dosage needs to be increased as time goes on but there are no good remedies for Alzheimer's.

What medication was prescribed?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @That'sMyBaby
a warm welcome to TP
just to say this isn't a current thread, though @wightdancer may well see your post and respond given time

I did a search on the main AS site using 'drugs' and these are the results, something there may be of use to you
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/search?keywords=drugs&Search=

if you have something on your mind, members may well be able to help - maybe start a thread of your own in either of these forums and folk will reply
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/welcome-and-how-to-use-talking-point.32/

Last edited: