Recent diagnosis

Saxonhurst

Feb 8, 2019
My husband has been diagnosed with dementia in Alzheimer disease of mixed type after many years of wondering and suspecting it. It is good to have a diagnosis so we know what we are dealing with but it was also a shock when we were told. My husband hasn’t retained the knowledge and thinks he is just forgetful. I am going through a mixture of emotions - anger, fear and I feel sorry for him too but I really don’t want to deal with this problem. I look at other people enjoying their lives and wish it was me. This all sounds very self pitying and selfish but it is the way I feel at the moment. Our four children have been a wonderful support in the ways that their life allows.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Saxonhurst and a warm welcome to TP although I’m sorry you needed to find us.
I’m sure it is all very confusing and overwhelming at the moment.
Have you had a recent SS care needs assessment for your husband? And a Carers assessment for yourself?
Maybe with some extra support you would find everything less overwhelming.
I hope now you have found us you will continue to post so you can get some support from the members on the forum.

Saxonhurst

Feb 8, 2019
Hello @Saxonhurst and a warm welcome to TP although I’m sorry you needed to find us.
I’m sure it is all very confusing and overwhelming at the moment.
Have you had a recent SS care needs assessment for your husband? And a Carers assessment for yourself?
Maybe with some extra support you would find everything less overwhelming.
I hope now you have found us you will continue to post so you can get some support from the members on the forum.
No I haven’t had those assessments. Some time ago I was advised to register as a career with the local council - I rang and was asked a series of questions but what good this has done I don’t know. Someone else told me that I should have been visited by someone. Who would do the SS needs assessment?

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
No I haven’t had those assessments. Some time ago I was advised to register as a career with the local council - I rang and was asked a series of questions but what good this has done I don’t know. Someone else told me that I should have been visited by someone. Who would do the SS needs assessment?

Welcome to the group.

Depending on your location, there will almost certainly be some carer support organisations locally who offer support?

Here in East Kent, we are lucky to have a number of voluntary organisations, which I found by searching for "carer support in xxx".

I've posted an example below, and this organisation is part of a wider support service, commissioned by our county council to provide support services for carers. They are able to carry out assessments on behalf of the LA, which they did for myself. You may find that you have something similar in your area?

https://www.carers-supportcdt.org.uk/

Hope this helps.
Phil

Teddy1960

Oct 24, 2018
My husband has been diagnosed with dementia in Alzheimer disease of mixed type after many years of wondering and suspecting it. It is good to have a diagnosis so we know what we are dealing with but it was also a shock when we were told. My husband hasn’t retained the knowledge and thinks he is just forgetful. I am going through a mixture of emotions - anger, fear and I feel sorry for him too but I really don’t want to deal with this problem. I look at other people enjoying their lives and wish it was me. This all sounds very self pitying and selfish but it is the way I feel at the moment. Our four children have been a wonderful support in the ways that their life allows.

Teddy1960

Oct 24, 2018
My husband was diagnosed with alzheimers back in November. All the emotions you are going through I can relate too.

I am not a nurse I am a wife and so many professionals seem to hint I will have to give up my job eventually and be his full time carer. I will not bow down to this pressure. I am 58 and not ready to be retired. I like you look at other couples and think why us . I ts knowing what lies ahead makes it worse. I love my husband dearly but he is changing and not the man I married. I think you deal with the problem everyday and they become a part of your new life. If you want to buddy up please do I feel we are on the same wavelength xxx