Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Slugsta .. it was more that I was feeling down before my jaunt, apprehensive about visiting, but felt better for going.

I don’t know if my long time friend or my brother contacted youngest, or if he realised himself, but he was sweetness itself, apologising for being rubbish about contact,hugging me & making my short visit all about me. Whatever the reason, I’m glad I went & glad I was honest about what is going on.

Now I need to have a really good clear out, bring out the paint brushes & get the house gone. It’s time to move on. :p

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi @Sam Luvit - so glad that you had such a good weekend away.
Life is going at 100mph here, I wish I could clone myself and be in 3 different places at the same time! I've been following a few threads here, but only quietly. Just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you, even if I'm not messaging.

Here's a hug to start the week ...

XX

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Sam, I'm glad your son realised how you were feeling and take positive steps to help. You have clearly done a good job of bringing him up!

It is raining hard here this morning and very much warmer.It is getting lighter earlier in the mornings too, that is obvious when I go out for aquagym at 7.15am :)

Toony Oony, it's good to see you again :)

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm glad you had a good visit and got a lot of cuddles.

I hope you can manage to get on with the chores and sell the house, as I know you have never liked it.

January for me was a hectic month, @Toony Oony if you work out how to clone yourself let me know. Dau raced National races in Shrewsbury and Gravesend the first 2 weekends of Jan, then we went away to North end of Peak district, then a midweek trip to Birmingham with dau, and then she raced locally on the sat and son fenced in Bradford the next weekend, with a party that we all went to on the Sat. She then raced locally this weekend on Sat and seemed like a quiet weekend. Cyclocross is done for the year now, kit was pretty muddy from Sat, race photos show snowy scenes, which looked pretty. I'm trying to work out if we have a 'free' weekend soon before the road race season starts.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Toony Oony

Good to see you :) I hope you get a little time to yourself, in between the racing around. That feeling of needing to be in three places at once is exhausting :rolleyes:

The hug is much appreciated & will set me up for the day :D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Slugsta

Thank you :oops:, but I think it’s mostly down to youngest personality, caring & empathic :D Everyone loves youngest, but I’m also proud of how he’s turned out. Very much a hands on dad & supportive partner

It’s poured down most of the day here. We got wet walking this morning, Pooch is in no hurry to go again :rolleyes: He’s curled up in his bed by the radiator :rolleyes:

I’ve motivated enough to start on the painting. I’ve done a “work” list ... perhaps not the best idea, as I’ve just counted up & I have 34 sections to do I’ve managed to complete 3 this afternoon :eek: Two of the doors have lots of glass, so I’ve been sticking masking tape on :(, it takes forever & it’s not even on the list :mad:

Oh well. At least I’ve started o_O

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Evening @jugglingmum

It was a good visit, with both friend & youngest. Lots of positives, snuggles with baby girl & hugs. I’m feeling much more positive ;)

I’ve made a start in the kitchen / breakfast room. There are 3 dark wood doors, which though nice, do make it very dark, so I’ve bitten the bullet & made a start with the gloss. Fortunately I found a few tins in the garage, so it’s not costing me anything yet. I just keep thinking, the quicker I get it done, the more likely I am to get moved. I’ve never liked the house, but I will miss my lovely neighbour. I can always visit so it’s not all bad

Just reading about your travels wears me out :eek: I’m guessing your daughter is getting better if she is doing so much racing. I hope that’s the case :D I’ll bet a “free” weekend gets booked up quickly in your family :rolleyes:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve been busy painting ... the list just gets longer as I find more to paint, but at least I’ve made a start. I’ve been looking at various agents, apparently you can’t add a property on Right Move etc as a private seller, but there are a number of third parties that will do it for a fee ... starting at around £500, it’s still cheaper than commission of around £4.5k :eek: I’ve registered with a “comparison” site & they should call me to discuss options :rolleyes:

On another “break”, I looked at internet options, as my neighbour was telling me she’s just changed ... she’s now paying a third if what I’m paying & my speed is awful (I did a speed test & it really is bad), so I looked at a comparison site. I’m disgusted to see I’m paying £20 over the offer if I was a new customer & getting speeds of 1/4 of what they say.

:mad::mad::mad: I tried phoning but surprise surprise, the lines are busy, so I’ll try again tomorrow. I pulled out the paperwork, to get the account details, more disgust, talk about taking advantage. I phoned them after mum died & gave alternative bank details to take over payments, as I couldn’t be without a phone, instead of just changing that, they have set up a new account & it looks like I’m in a new contract. If I’d even thought they wouId do that, I’d have cancelled & set up a new account, complete with new equipment. Instead, it looks like I’m paying over the odds, with old equipment & no cover. So not impressed

Does anything just go smoothly, or am I just incredibly unlucky :(

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Sam, I think it is the fact that a) nothing ever goes smoothly and b) you are having to deal with everything at once :( I hope today is more fruitful for you (((hugs))).

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @Slugsta

The day started better & I got another coat of paint on. I took a break while it was drying, then in true Sam style, the day fell apart. :rolleyes: In a good way, but I didn’t get any more done

First I had a visitor, collecting some wood I’d saved for him, then my brother decided to visit (so I cooked). Then J popped in for a chat. It was nearly 22.00 by the time I drove brother home. I started on clearing away & another neighbour saw me drive in & texted me, so she popped over for a chat & left after 02.00 this morning

Honestly. I go from not seeing anyone for 5 or 6 days, to 4 visitors in a day :eek: It was a nice change, but I’m staring at an unpainted door, that should have been finished today o_O

I started off thinking, 3 doors & 3 door frames. Then realised the skirting needs doing, as I’ve painted the door frames I’ve noticed there are dado rails in the lobby & bathroom (???), a lobby cupboard with louvre doors :( & wooden “skirting” up the stairs :eek: It’s never going to end o_O

I might have a delightful baby girl visit next weekend & my plan was to have the painting done by Monday week ... me thinks that deadline might have to be extended :rolleyes:

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Sorry the painting and house chores are overwhelmingly at the moment, Sam. But I’m cheered to hear you may have some more Nana Sam time in your near future!!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Amy in the US

I’ve painted so much today, I think one door frame is finally looking good, the inside of one & outside of the other look almost done too. One door looks finished & the other two are on their way. I’ve also made a start on dado rails, skirting etc, so it’s starting to move along.

I’ve asked J to come round in daylight next week, so she can tell me if I’ve “missed a bit” :D I want to see if I can clear the kitchen / breakfast room & dress it, then see what she says. It’s the first room you walk into, so it needs to look as good as possible

I’ve got my fingers, toes & legs crossed that nothing comes up to stop the Nana Sam visit. It’s motivating me to clear up & get as much painted in the next 6 days as possible.

I’m very behind with what’s going in elsewhere, I skim a few posts, so I’m not up to date with what’s going on in your life (sorry), I do hope your mum is doing ok & the care home are keeping you better informed. It seems like forever since you talked of maybe making a trip over the water :rolleyes: I’m working on big brother .. trying to get him to agree to taking a trip when the house sells ... America & Australia are on the cards :eek:, although relatives in Canada may come into it. I have a few months to put the pressure on :p

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Sam, it sounds to me as though you are making steady progress with the painting. Is it all the interior woodwork you are doing at the moment? That is a big job.

Yes, a good first interior impression is important.

Getting it checked in daylight is a good idea!

No worries on not being caught up. My mother seems to have stabilised a bit and thank you for asking. A lot of stress from my mother-in-law’s impending move but I am trying to let go. I have help from friends and family on that count and am very lucky.

Speaking of escaping my mad in-laws, and helpful friends, and travel, you might want to have a look at my “losing the plot” thread over in difficult feelings. You might see an interesting announcement!!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Sam, it sounds as if you are making good progress. Do you have a fixed date in mind for putting the house back on the market, or is dependent on getting the work done first?

Amy, I haven't read your thread for ages I'm afraid :oops: but we also have a spare room and are not far from the sea (not quite as close to it as Sam though) . . .

Not much happening in my life at the moment. OH is playing bowls this morning, we are quizzing this evening.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @Slugsta

The plan was to finish the painting by next Monday, then contact agents & negotiate a deal, with a view to getting it back on the market by the end of February. I need to finish the painting & remove all the masking tape & other evidence. :rolleyes: Looks like a bomb site right now with paper on the floor & tins of paint lying around :eek:

I could do with having a painting party :D, but I’m getting it done slowly solo :)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Aaarrrrgh ... the frustration. Big brother came round & I was clearing up paper & paint pots .. I closed a door only to realise I’ve not painted the other side of it :mad:

On a more positive note, I think the 3 doors & frames I had originally planned to paint are mostly done. I’ve also done part of the next door I wasn’t even thinking of doing

Youngest confirmed they are still coming at the weekend :D ... not just an overnight, but the entire weekend :D:D That gives me 4 days to touch up any missed bits, second coat on one door side & 2 coats on the completely missed door side .... & tidy it all up

I have a goal .... I’m putting in the hours .., I’m blooming exhaustipated :rolleyes: The idea of cuddles with baby girl are keeping me going

I’ve washed & vacu packed the bedding ready to swop on their arrival. Stairs given a good hoover today & I'm hoping to clean it all up sometime on Friday.

They are not royalty, they don’t expect anything but I want it to be clean n calm

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
crumbs you'll be dead on your feet by the time they arrive.......save yourself for some serious baby cuddles :):):)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I know @charlie10 but I need goals or I never get anything done :rolleyes: The sooner it’s sorted, the sooner I can try selling ... the sooner I get to move

The hardest part is working out what to paint, in what order, so Pooch doesn’t get near it :eek: I don’t think “glossed” Pooch wouId be a good look :rolleyes: