Advice on a device

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
So I’m on the lookout for a device that can perform a very specific job

Mum has a tendency to wander around at night. For the most part I tend not to worry about it too much. She’s in no immediate danger. There are plenty of grab rails and she’s pretty good at wearing her fall detector.

The trouble comes when she uses the toilet. Now these days it’s a rare event when she actually takes herself to the toilet, but when she does and she’s sat down, she ain’t getting up again.

It’s happened a couple of times recently. I’ve gotten up in the morning, gone to check on her and found her sat on the toilet in a bit of a bad way. Cold, shaking and confused. The most accurate information I can get out of her is that it was dark when she sat down.

Now I think through the clever application of technology we can prevent this happening again. But ideally I have a few specific requirements.

I’m not looking for something that merely alerts me that she’s out of bed. As far as I’m concerned if she wants to have a bit of a wander she’s free to do so. I’m her carer, not her jailer. Ideally some sort of sensor that will alert me me she’s been sat on the toilet for a certain amount of time. Or something that alerts me if she walks into the bathroom but doesn’t walk out after a certain amount of time. That would be a good solution. Preferably this would be some sort of wireless system so the alarm can be in my room as we are at different ends of the house. And cost is pretty irrelevant.

Any ideas anyone?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I can't help you with the technological bit but have you thought that maybe the toilet seat is simply too low? We got a grabrail and a raised toilet seat to make it easier for OH to get up from the toilet. But whichever technology is available, a community OT could come to the house and check out possibilities.

Last edited:

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Maybe some sort of motion detector for the bathroom? I know there are video monitors and web cams if you wanted to see if she is in the bathroom, but maybe something that would alert you if she entered the bathroom? Is that along the lines of what you're looking for, perhaps?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
And if she is finding it dark, why not try the lights with built in motion sensors that will come on when she enters the bathroom. You can get battery operated ones or ones that will plug into a power point so no electrician or wiring required.

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
Maybe some sort of motion detector for the bathroom? I know there are video monitors and web cams if you wanted to see if she is in the bathroom, but maybe something that would alert you if she entered the bathroom? Is that along the lines of what you're looking for, perhaps?

I have considered using a camera. I’ve got a pretty good custom cctv system set up outside and in. And there’s some pretty sophisticated software available that can do motion tracking and that sort of thing. Only problem I’d have with that is social services would definitely consider it a breach of the mental capacity act. She still has a right to privacy. Obviously I wouldn’t record the footage. But I’m sure they would still take issue with a camera in the bathroom....if the camera was visible.

And if she is finding it dark, why not try the lights with built in motion sensors that will come on when she enters the bathroom. You can get battery operated ones or ones that will plug into a power point so no electrician or wiring required.

Oh don’t worry about that! She can’t walk past a light switch without playing with it. A good portion of my day is spent walking around turning lights off. And at night the place is lit up like a Christmas tree.

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
I can't help you with the technological bit but have you thought that maybe the toilet seat is simply too low? We got a grabrail and a raised toilet seat to make it easier for OH to get up from the toilet. But whichever technology is available, a community OT could come to the house and check out possibilities.

She’s got a frame to help her up. But this is more of a behaviour problem. And if I’m honest I think she’s gotten too used to having me to pull her up when she’s finished.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
What about something as simple as a two way baby monitor. One in the bathroom and other in your room. For my mum I used this system for a long time, at various times during the day, when in the garden and mum refused to come out with me, on went the monitor. at night time she would huff and puff so much when getting out of bed, all the noise she made alerted me.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
" And if I’m honest I think she’s gotten too used to having me to pull her up when she’s finished." that made me wonder if a toilet lifter would help (seat slowly raises user to standing) but they are pretty expensive (looked at on-line disability shop and they were around 1000 pounds :eek:)

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
How about a pressure mat on the floor right in front of the toilet? It would alert you when she steps on it, and since she is not capable of getting up again that is pretty much all you need to know - if she gets that close to the toilet then presumably she's going to sit on it and not get up again. You can put it under a bathmat/any mat you like, so it isn't visible (as long as you don't think it would be a trip hazard).

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
@charlie10 and anyone who reads this and thinks a 'lifting' loo is a good idea .... I bought Mum one years ago when they were first available. She has arthritis and it was absolutely brilliant. When she bought an assisted living apartment she was the talk of the development and had people knocking on her door for a demonstration :eek:. However, one of the 'giveaways' to her failing memory was that she forgot how to use the 'lift' on both the loo and her rise and recline chair.

@Cap'n Grimm - if you Google 'Border Patrol Safety Beam' - there is a portable light beam device. Perhaps this could be set up at the approach to the bathroom?

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
@Toony Oony the border patrol idea has potential. I could set it up inside the door. I wonder if you could set up a timer though. So she can walk into the bathroom and if she doesn’t walk out again within a certain amount of time an alarm is triggered. And even if not it’s certainly within my abilities to make such a device. A cheap micro controller like an Arduino, an infrared detector, the thing could be setup to send alerts to my phone. I wouldn’t even need to be in the house.

This has possibilities. I like it!!!!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
@charlie10 and anyone who reads this and thinks a 'lifting' loo is a good idea .... I bought Mum one years ago when they were first available. She has arthritis and it was absolutely brilliant. When she bought an assisted living apartment she was the talk of the development and had people knocking on her door for a demonstration :eek:. However, one of the 'giveaways' to her failing memory was that she forgot how to use the 'lift' on both the loo and her rise and recline chair.

@Cap'n Grimm - if you Google 'Border Patrol Safety Beam' - there is a portable light beam device. Perhaps this could be set up at the approach to the bathroom?
Hi, just reading through this post and noticed you said your Mum had forgotten how to use the ‘lift’ on loo and chair!
I only noticed the other day OH appears to be struggling with the handset on the electric riser/ recliner!
Has to be promoted each time to use for a while now, and I now seem quite unsure which button does what!!
My sons have just ordered an electric profiling bed( SS unable to supply despite ‘need’) and of course this has the similar handset system! I am now concerned about OH ability to understand the new bed! Time will tell!!!
Strange thing though, he is still OK with the TV handset!! Always been his domain!

WA123

Jan 20, 2018
@Toony Oony the border patrol idea has potential. I could set it up inside the door. I wonder if you could set up a timer though. So she can walk into the bathroom and if she doesn’t walk out again within a certain amount of time an alarm is triggered. And even if not it’s certainly within my abilities to make such a device. A cheap micro controller like an Arduino, an infrared detector, the thing could be setup to send alerts to my phone. I wouldn’t even need to be in the house.

This has possibilities. I like it!!!!

@Cap'n Grimm I do feel for you and your difficulties but I also love your 'can do' attitude. Good luck and please let us know if you find a solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife