dehydration

keepittogether

Mar 3, 2007
york
mum was admitted into hospital 2 weeks ago with severe dehydration from the care home, and suffering with poor nutrition, i understand that there is no regulation that exists, as yet, but surely its a basic need for all of us, is there a petition i could sign to help get this regulation passed and help those people in care homes to have a better healther life.
sue

Katie Malarkey

Mar 29, 2008
Northumberland
Hello
If there is such a petition, I'll sign it too. The NH my mam used to be in were supposed to have a tea trolley mid morning and mid afternoon, and staff were supposed to ensure fluids were kept up, but often, when I was there most of the day there'd be no sign of this - the excuse - 'we're too busy', 'not enough staff' etc. Then they wonder why so many of the residents had UTI's!
Katie x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I'll sign it too. I think DianeB is the member who loves petitioning, maybe she will either let you know or start one;)

Love

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I would also Sigh the petition

and suffering with poor nutrition, i understand that there is no regulation that exists, as yet,

Is your mother in a privet care home ?

As they are not coved under the human right Act , because under the human right act they is regulation that exists

I wonder if there a petition for implementing the human right act in privet care home, as privet care home are not coved under the human rights act ?

As it is a a basic human right to be given good nutrition in care homes , so not to became severe dehydrated .

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Read this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1560316/Report-slams-care-home-standards.html

The inquiry by MPs and peers found alarming evidence of patients left lying in soiled bedclothes, sexual assaults, malnutrition, bullying and inappropriate use of medication.

It condemns the ill-treatment as a "serious and severe human rights abuse" and a "betrayal of trust".

In some circumstances, the report says, it was clear that a "criminal offence" had been committed.

The inquiry also criticises the lack of dignity with which people are treated, particularly the absence of privacy on mixed sex wards.

The Joint Committee on Human Rights condemns the Government for failing to provide "leadership and guidance" and says an "entire culture change" is needed to transform the system.

Existing legislation does not provide enough protection.
Following a House of Lords ruling that private care homes do not come under the Human Rights Act, the report calls on ministers to rewrite the regulations to ensure that all care homes are covered.

There should also be a "positive duty" on hospitals and care homes to "promote equality for older people".

The 102-page report offers a bleak picture of the conditions many elderly people have to endure.

It highlights how one 80-year-old woman in a care home was sexually assaulted by another resident but her daughter was not told about the attack until a year later.

People also reported how elderly relatives were left "slowly starving to death" because staff would not help them to eat. Many patients are routinely treated with a lack of dignity.

the report calls on ministers to rewrite the regulations to ensure that all care homes are covered.

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I've just found this petition

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ElderAbuse

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to make all private care/nursing homes in the United Kingdom subject to the legislation within the Bill of Human Rights in order to ensure that all residents of those institutions previously mentioned are given the full legal protection of The Human Rights Act, offering them safekeeping against inhuman and degrading treatment and securing for them the dignity necessary to live and end their lives in a safe, protected and supported environment. More details

Submitted by Carol Rita Newman of Aylesbury Carers Action Group – Deadline to sign up by: 09 June 2009 – Signatures: 42

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Sue - my mum was severely dehydrated when moved from her first NH to hospital ..... water, juice and tea/coffee etc were in plentiful supply - but no-one seemed to understand that if you provided mum with a drink she would simply forget it was there and had no concept of thirst!!!

It all comes back to dementia awareness, methinks? (and sufficient staff not to just 'dish out' the drinks but to make sure they were taken)

Love, Karen, x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Margarita

You've done a marvellous job searching and sorting all this out and I will duly sign the petition. The inquiry by MPs made horrific reading and everything possible should be done to change this.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Love

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It all comes back to dementia awareness, methinks?

lets rethink that .

How can someone work in a NH not know the symptoms of dementia, unless someone in a nursing home that not registered Dementia, but then I thought a nursing home was Just for people with a Dementia .

So I believe its all down to neglect, just like the report says

In some circumstances, the report says, it was clear that a "criminal offence" had been committed.

Its a criminal offense to not give food Water to people in war camps, so why not also in a privet care home / NH

Katie Malarkey

Mar 29, 2008
Northumberland
Thankyou very much for finding this petition - duly signed!

Basic human rights, basic awareness of dementia - sometimes just plain simple common sense and caring observations from some NH staff would help!

Katie x

JeanD

Sep 16, 2008
Lincolnshire
The excuse dad's care home used was that they are not allowed to force feed anyone, or make them drink. Because of their human rights. In my experience a lot of the patients don't finish their drinks, and then have to wait for the next round. They need little and often. and sometimes gentle persuasion. i saw a drink left for a patient who was asleep, which was then thrown away when they not surprisingly didn't drink it.