What can a carers assessment do for me!,

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
i have just been reading where someone ask’can a carers assessment be on line?’
What is a Carers assessment, what could it offer me, and is it worthwhile!
I have found so many things that are suppose to aid , assist , encourage etc are not really anything such!
Who does the carers assessment etc and why is it not offered!
OH has carers, he needs were assessed.No mention of what my needs may be, how I cope, emotionally and physically! I

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Others talk of their social workers? Who are they, been told there are no social workers any more it’s just safeguarding for pwd, apparently there’s no one there for families? Have others found this?
Carers assessments, - well, they do very little I’m afraid, they might sound good and try to get you to have a life but then who looks after the pwd whilst your doing that? Sorry to be negative but that has been our experience

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Given the previous reply it may not be much use, however, for what its worth, here's a link to the relevant Society Factsheet. Just click the 2nd line if you want to read it

Assessment for care and support in England (418)
PDF printable version

I have to say that I too have been promised assistance that never came to anything.
Oh dear!
So sorry that you haven’t received the help, support or caring you needed.
I will therefore, not hold out any hopes, hence why I asked the original question.i thought perhaps it’s just a tick box exercise, looks like Imight be right.
If your promises were not met, did you have any other avenues to go down.
I know people mention Memory cafes, but that not what I am looking for.
I suppose it’s being selfish but I wNt something for me!!
Thanks for replying and sending you good wishes x

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Given the previous reply it may not be much use, however, for what its worth, here's a link to the relevant Society Factsheet. Just click the 2nd line if you want to read it

Assessment for care and support in England (418)
PDF printable version

I have to say that I too have been promised assistance that never came to anything.
Thanks for re0lying
You and others are saying the same,
Perhaps it’s just a paper excersice and the boxes are ticked then it goes down that big black hole!
In light of the replies I shall seriously think about it!
Sending good wishes x

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Others talk of their social workers? Who are they, been told there are no social workers any more it’s just safeguarding for pwd, apparently there’s no one there for families? Have others found this?
Carers assessments, - well, they do very little I’m afraid, they might sound good and try to get you to have a life but then who looks after the pwd whilst your doing that? Sorry to be negative but that has been our experience
Thanks for replying
You and all others are showing me just how the ‘so called system’ Thats available to everyone is failing!
Is it because as carers our concerns, energy and just surviving are concentrated on the one we care for!
What a shameful society we live in!
Thank you again x

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know where you guys live but in my borough they are on the ball and we had a substantial Carers package in place so I would argue that's it's not a negative experience everywhere. Also, what not many people know is that help for Carers on the back of a Carers assessment has to be provided for free, so it's certainly worth requesting, plus you are entitled to one by law.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Oh dear!
So sorry that you haven’t received the help, support or caring you needed.
I will therefore, not hold out any hopes, hence why I asked the original question.i thought perhaps it’s just a tick box exercise, looks like Imight be right.
If your promises were not met, did you have any other avenues to go down.
I know people mention Memory cafes, but that not what I am looking for.
I suppose it’s being selfish but I wNt something for me!!
Thanks for replying and sending you good wishes x
In my case a CPN promised a referral to both a good Day Centre and a befriending service. Neither promise came to anything and the CPN moved on to another position. We were then contacted, not to be told a replacement CPN would take our case, but to be told that the CPN would not be replaced in the immediate future and would we like to be removed from the lists. I have the feeling that the service was more interested in reporting statistics than providing a service! It may differ from area to area as I believe many members get good service.

In our case the Memory Café was a non starter as it was geared to people 25ys older than my wife, who is early on-set, and we weren't allowed to attend for only the bits that were of use to us. To be honest, we may have found the same with the Day Centre. I soldier on alone in the meantime.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
I don't know where you guys live but in my borough they are on the ball and we had a substantial Carers package in place so I would argue that's it's not a negative experience everywhere. Also, what not many people know is that help for Carers on the back of a Carers assessment has to be provided for free, so it's certainly worth requesting, plus you are entitled to one by law.
Hi Beate,
Thankfully a positive response, I was all but feeling defeated before I attempted to pursue.
Your reply has at the least given me the incentive to check everything our.
Just one small further question, it the ‘support’ or whatever supplied via social service or as you mention a borough would the local Council be involved!
So glad that you ha=e some ‘help’ not the right phrasing maybe,,sincere regards
Lady M

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Lady M
I had a carers assessment last year and although I didn't receive much practical help I did get a one off payment if £150 which I spent on a pushbike. It cheered me up no end going for a ride on that bike!!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
In my case a CPN promised a referral to both a good Day Centre and a befriending service. Neither promise came to anything and the CPN moved on to another position. We were then contacted, not to be told a replacement CPN would take our case, but to be told that the CPN would not be replaced in the immediate future and would we like to be removed from the lists. I have the feeling that the service was more interested in reporting statistics than providing a service! It may differ from area to area as I believe many members get good service.

In our case the Memory Café was a non starter as it was geared to people 25ys older than my wife, who is early on-set, and we weren't allowed to attend for only the bits that were of use to us. To be honest, we may have found the same with the Day Centre. I soldier on alone in the meantime.
Oh dear AraokePete,
I feel so sorry the continual let downs at the time seem earth shattering!!
I have been told I may be better off going down the road of volunteer organisations but I suspect you have considered that.! You statement of soldiering on just about sums up the attitude to being a carer!
I was told my a well meaning neighbour how lucky I and I’m repeat
I am that OH has private carers for personal care!
I am disabled OH in virtually immobile and Mixed Dementia!
I am learning to acquire a thick skin!!
Regards and all the best!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Hi @Lady M
I had a carers assessment last year and although I didn't receive much practical help I did get a one off payment if £150 which I spent on a pushbike. It cheered me up no end going for a ride on that bike!!
Hi Bunpoots,
My last thought was Money but good on you ,Hope you still get personal time to enjoy your purchase!
Regards Lady M

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
@Lady M My doctor asked me if I was getting any help and I told her no. She told me that I should contact Social Services, or she said should she do it on my behalf. I said yes please. Then I had someone contact me and came and did what I suppose you would call a carer's assessment. The outcome of that was a 2hour 'take a break' every week, where someone comes and sits with my husband while I go out on my own.

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
Hi @Lady M
I have had one off payments for the last 3 years. £200, £106 and £106 again. I don't know how it is worked out but the last 2 were when we had CHC. I had a home visit first year and phone calls next 2 asking me what I did daily for my husband. I was also given leaflets with information about meetings for carers but I couldn't get to those. I have occasional lunches out with friends and have used some of the money to pay for mine.
Clarice2

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011

You are entitled to the assessment but nothing else. If your local authority is generous you really are lucky. Ours isn't if the person you care for is self-funding. They offer zilch.

My Carers Assessment rated me as having the highest possible level of needs and offered me absolutely nothing except suggestions and telling me that my mother who I cared for, had to pay for it. That was absolutely it.... .

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
I have had one off payments for the last 3 years. £200, £106 and £106 again. I don't know how it is worked out but the last 2 were when we had CHC. I had a home visit first year and phone calls next 2 asking me what I did daily for my husband. I was also given leaflets with information about meetings for carers but I couldn't get to those. I have occasional lunches out with friends and have used some of the money to pay for mine.
Clarice2
So glad that you are at least able to meet with friends, I know that sometimes well meaning but no real understanding of what you are living! I hope you have some good times!!!
I am suprize Money was given, with all the lack of resources so glad it has been able to lighten your load!
Regards
Lady M

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hi Beate,
Thankfully a positive response, I was all but feeling defeated before I attempted to pursue.
Your reply has at the least given me the incentive to check everything our.
Just one small further question, it the ‘support’ or whatever supplied via social service or as you mention a borough would the local Council be involved!
So glad that you ha=e some ‘help’ not the right phrasing maybe,,sincere regards
Lady M
Social workers are council employed, so it's the same thing. Our Day Centre is council-run and the care agency from a list of council-approved agencies.

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
Clarice2
So glad that you are at least able to meet with friends, I know that sometimes well meaning but no real understanding of what you are living! I hope you have some good times!!!
I am suprize Money was given, with all the lack of resources so glad it has been able to lighten your load!
Regards
Lady M
It is only a lunch with a couple of friends about 4 times a year but I do enjoy it. Another service you could check is a Community Link Worker. My doctor refered me and she rang to arrange a home visit. She asked me about myself and any problems I had that she could help with. She stressed that she was not here to talk about my husband but to help me in any way she could. At that time I had got a good routine and did not need daily help but she did help me finding a tradesman for a job that needed doing. I wish I had known about this service a few years ago, when I was completely stressed and everything was too much for me, before I calmed down. She is just there to help the carer and can be contacted through your GP.
Another point. The first one off annual carers payment I received was when we were self funding and they never asked about money. I did not know about this payment. At that time I did not have help and this was offered as a routine carer assessment. At the end off the interview she told me I would receive this money and that it was to be spent on myself. I was told to keep the receipts but have not been asked for them yet.
Clarice2

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
It is only a lunch with a couple of friends about 4 times a year but I do enjoy it. Another service you could check is a Community Link Worker. My doctor refered me and she rang to arrange a home visit. She asked me about myself and any problems I had that she could help with. She stressed that she was not here to talk about my husband but to help me in any way she could. At that time I had got a good routine and did not need daily help but she did help me finding a tradesman for a job that needed doing. I wish I had known about this service a few years ago, when I was completely stressed and everything was too much for me, before I calmed down. She is just there to help the carer and can be contacted through your GP.
Another point. The first one off annual carers payment I received was when we were self funding and they never asked about money. I did not know about this payment. At that time I did not have help and this was offered as a routine carer assessment. At the end off the interview she told me I would receive this money and that it was to be spent on myself. I was told to keep the receipts but have not been asked for them yet.
Clarice2
Thanks for all the info
Wishing you a peaceful day!