'Flexible cyctoscopy'

Morganlefay

May 20, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Sorry if this has been asked before but I don't get much time to be on here hunting. My OH was diagnosed 5 years ago but is only now showing signs of difficulty is seeing things and speech. He now has blood in his urine and has had an ultrasound (which he didn't mind in the end but was v nervous about beforehand), and they say that he doesn't have prostate problems (he's 76). BUT because he has white blood cells in urine too the very nice surgeon wants to do a 'Flexible Cytoscopy' which OH at first was very resistant about. We now have a date to have it and he's a bit more philosophical about it, and the dr says it's not painful, just uncomfortable. Does anyone on here have any experience of a partner having had one of these, and if so - how was he with
it ? really dreading it myself, just for its potential to upset the balance of things as we rather live on a knife edge at present. Any thoughts would be most gratefully received. (I asked about sedation/Valium etc but they said that they don't do that).

gotanybiscuits?

Jan 8, 2017
the beautiful south
Not really answering your request, but a personal experience:-

I was sent for one of these 8ish years ago, and really needed a friendly hand to hold on to!
I found it so painful that the procedure was abandoned.
While I was making embarrassed apologies, it was suggested that it was probably about a 1in100 occurrence to stop like that.
I've met two other guys who have found it "uncomfortable, not painful", as advertised
(so I'm just odd :rolleyes:)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
To be honest, I don't know what a cyctoscopy is, but I had to undergo a colonoscopy recently, where they offer you both sedation and painkillers. I only opted for the painkillers but afterwards thought that I probably didn't need them. There are loads of procedures that are "a little uncomfortable" but quite bearable, but I think the problem with dementia in the mix is the understanding of the procedure and that they have to lie still or move the way someone tells them to. Will he be able to do that?

Morganlefay

May 20, 2014
Buckinghamshire
To be honest, I don't know what a cyctoscopy is, but I had to undergo a colonoscopy recently, where they offer you both sedation and painkillers. I only opted for the painkillers but afterwards thought that I probably didn't need them. There are loads of procedures that are "a little uncomfortable" but quite bearable, but I think the problem with dementia in the mix is the understanding of the procedure and that they have to lie still or move the way someone tells them to. Will he be able to do that?
Thank you Beate and Gotanybiscuits. I was told that its a bit like a cervical smear for women, undignified and uncomfortable but not actually painful - though not easy to explain that to a man ! My OH is mostly OK and has never been ill in all his life but following a knee replacement a couple of years ago became delirious during the night, thrashed about, tried to rip out drips and catheters. But he's normally fine and calm, so I never know if something will set him off like that again. I think I'll just warn the department so there are enough people to reassure him if it all gets too much for him (or restrain him) and of course we can always make them stop if he gets distressed. Apparently it should only take 5 mins, so hopefully they can do it very swiftly. Thank you for your answers !

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Sorry if this has been asked before but I don't get much time to be on here hunting. My OH was diagnosed 5 years ago but is only now showing signs of difficulty is seeing things and speech. He now has blood in his urine and has had an ultrasound (which he didn't mind in the end but was v nervous about beforehand), and they say that he doesn't have prostate problems (he's 76). BUT because he has white blood cells in urine too the very nice surgeon wants to do a 'Flexible Cytoscopy' which OH at first was very resistant about. We now have a date to have it and he's a bit more philosophical about it, and the dr says it's not painful, just uncomfortable. Does anyone on here have any experience of a partner having had one of these, and if so - how was he with
it ? really dreading it myself, just for its potential to upset the balance of things as we rather live on a knife edge at present. Any thoughts would be most gratefully received. (I asked about sedation/Valium etc but they said that they don't do that).
I doubt this will be helpful, but my husband has had flexible cystoscopies every 4 months for the past 7 years. He has never complained although he has said that it can be uncomfortable when they go past the prostate. My understanding is that the use anaesthetic jelly to reduce the discomfort at insertion.
He has also had on average two rigid cystoscopies every year under general anaesthetic as an inpatient. Obviously he knew nothing about these procedures.
He has said that he prefers he flexible cystoscopies to be performed by the nurses rather than the doctors!
I’m sorry if this information is isn’t helpful.
Take care, B x

Wife B

Oct 13, 2017
I doubt this will be helpful, but my husband has had flexible cystoscopies every 4 months for the past 7 years. He has never complained although he has said that it can be uncomfortable when they go past the prostate. My understanding is that the use anaesthetic jelly to reduce the discomfort at insertion.
He has also had on average two rigid cystoscopies every year under general anaesthetic as an inpatient. Obviously he knew nothing about these procedures.
He has said that he prefers he flexible cystoscopies to be performed by the nurses rather than the doctors!
I’m sorry if this information is isn’t helpful.
Take care, B x

Wife B

Oct 13, 2017
My husband has just had a flexible cystoscopy and he didn't mind at all and said he couldn't feel anything but now he has to go in for the next stage which is a Transurethral Telescopic Resection of a bladder tumour and I am so worried about it because it could make him incontinent and more confused than ever at having to stay in hospital overnight as he won't know why he is there, also it could cause infection. Does anyone have more information on this please?

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
My husband has just had a flexible cystoscopy and he didn't mind at all and said he couldn't feel anything but now he has to go in for the next stage which is a Transurethral Telescopic Resection of a bladder tumour and I am so worried about it because it could make him incontinent and more confused than ever at having to stay in hospital overnight as he won't know why he is there, also it could cause infection. Does anyone have more information on this please?
When my husband had bladder tumour removal he was not showing signs of dementia.
But last September he had to have stents in his kidneys under a GA. we spoke to the surgeon and met with the anaesthetist expressing our concerns. They were so cautious and considerate.
We gave them one of the Alzheimers society ‘all about me’ (sorry don’t have correct title) completed leaflets which we filled in with his details and foibles, which was so useful. In fact they put it in his notes.
They let me stay with him and wait for him to come back from surgery. I don’t know what anaesthetic they gave him, but he was bright as a button when he came back. He was due to stay overnight but they let me bring him home in the evening.

I know how worried you must be and I wish I could be more supportive.
All I can say is that my husband was diagnosed with aggressive bladder cancer almost 8 years ago, and we are both still chugging along.
Please take care of yourself, love B x

Morganlefay

May 20, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Thank you all for very helpful advice, have not had time till now to respond. He had the cytoscopy last week and was fine, very anxious, but brave. I had warned the endoscopy dept and I was allowed to go in with him, though one officious nurse told me I'd have to leave, the others said that I could stay and gave me a seat so I could see the monitor if I wanted to. It turned out that it was the very nice consultant doing it, who is calm and gentle and he made it seem very matter of fact and easy, and it was all over very quickly. Sadly he found some sort of obstruction which might have to be removed under GA for him to see properly into the bladder, so we now have an appointment to see what the GP thinks we should do. I certainly don't want him having a GA after the last time when he became frantic during the night. Thank you so much for helpful advice - I do find this forum so kind and understanding always and I'm very grateful.