PIP

Badleg60

May 19, 2017
Hi

Mum presently on DLA mobility and low care, have been advised to apply for PIP , so Mum could try for high care , just wondering what others have done. She is on high mobility , so just wanting to do the right thing for her, if she could get high care and high mobility it would help towards her care home costs as she is self fu ding.
Welcome any advise. Thank you

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Then presumably she's under 65 as PIP isn't available to the over 65's. Younger people are being moved off DLA and onto PIP but legacy/older people are being left on DLA and mobility allowance.
If you want to make a change then they may well want to make the change and put her on Attendance Allowance as that's still the benefit for the over 65's.
The question is which is the greater, the rate of DLA she's receiving and mobility allowance or the rate for attendance allowance she might get.
As I understand it if you're completely self funding you get to keep the AA but if the LA are partially or fully funding it stops after 28 days.
I kind of assuming that your mum is over 65 so PIP is a red herring as she can't apply for it and that you should be looking at comparing DLA to AA not PIP.
K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
In order to get high care component in either DLS, PIP or AA they have to have someone attend to them during the night - it may be that they need someone to help them get to the toilet, or need someone to be there as they might fall, or because they are awake and doing things around the house that might endanger them, or that they decide to go out for a walk in the middle of the night and are inadequately dressed and/or liable to get lost.

BeardyD

Jan 19, 2016
You should apply for your mum's DLA to be reassessed due to changes in her condition. It is likely that your mum will be reassessed onto a PIP (although I can't find that written anywhere).

The amounts paid under DLA and PIP are basically the same but the criteria are slightly different with PIP being more based on what your mum can and cannot do. Also DLA has 3 bands of payment whereas PIP only has 2. AA is usually less than DLA and PIP and you can't get both at the same time so forget about that for now.

There is an on-line PIP assessment at http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php. I'm not sure if it is up to date but changes have been minor and it will give you some idea.

If someone receives PIP they will continue to receive it even after they are 65. It is only stopped by changes in the condition (your mum get better).

If someone receives DLA they will also continue to receive it even after they are 65. Exceptions are that anyone born after 8 April 1948 or anyone applying for reassessment (I think) will be asked to reapply for a PIP.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If someone receives DLA they will also continue to receive it even after they are 65. Exceptions are that anyone born after 8 April 1948 or anyone applying for reassessment (I think) will be asked to reapply for a PIP.
That appears to be correct. I was told if I applied for a reassessment for the higher rate of DLA my wife would move to PIP "because she's over 65" no mention of the pre 1948 rule. As it happens she was born after 1948 so I guess the advise was right for her.
I decided that a new application for PIP or AA might result in a little more money or it might result in none so I let sleeping dogs lie rather than face a new assessment process and as it's likely she'll stay in care with LA funding it just seemed pointless.
K

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Mum presently on DLA mobility and low care, have been advised to apply for PIP , so Mum could try for high care , just wondering what others have done. She is on high mobility , so just wanting to do the right thing for her, if she could get high care and high mobility it would help towards her care home costs as she is self fu ding.
Welcome any advise. Thank you[/QUOTE]

Dad has been on DLA for years, high rate mobility and low rate care component. I had a real fight to get him on high rate or even middle rate care component. He has dementia and terminal oesophagul cancer but was turned down twice . He only got it in the end because his consultant filled in a form to say he was terminal.

If you can possibly get help filling in the forms then do so. I think the CAB or your local hospice can help with the form. I consider myself quite capable of form filling but the DLA people were obviously not impressed. I honestly think they are making it as difficult as possible for claimants at the moment.

Good luck with it.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I honestly think they are making it as difficult as possible for claimants at the moment.
I would agree with that.
My OHs is on DLA, low mobility and middle care. His needs have changed, but I worry that if I apply for reassessment for PIP then his care component will be downgraded if he doesnt reach the high band and I will lose my Carers Allowance.

Badleg60

May 19, 2017
Then presumably she's under 65 as PIP isn't available to the over 65's. Younger people are being moved off DLA and onto PIP but legacy/older people are being left on DLA and mobility allowance.
If you want to make a change then they may well want to make the change and put her on Attendance Allowance as that's still the benefit for the over 65's.
The question is which is the greater, the rate of DLA she's receiving and mobility allowance or the rate for attendance allowance she might get.
As I understand it if you're completely self funding you get to keep the AA but if the LA are partially or fully funding it stops after 28 days.
I kind of assuming that your mum is over 65 so PIP is a red herring as she can't apply for it and that you should be looking at comparing DLA to AA not PIP.
K
Thank you I did not know PIP was age related .

Badleg60

May 19, 2017
Welcome any advise. Thank you

Dad has been on DLA for years, high rate mobility and low rate care component. I had a real fight to get him on high rate or even middle rate care component. He has dementia and terminal oesophagul cancer but was turned down twice . He only got it in the end because his consultant filled in a form to say he was terminal.

If you can possibly get help filling in the forms then do so. I think the CAB or your local hospice can help with the form. I consider myself quite capable of form filling but the DLA people were obviously not impressed. I honestly think they are making it as difficult as possible for claimants at the moment.

Good luck with it.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the advise . Crazy is' the it figuring it all out

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
I’m afraid I’m useless at all the form filling, but I know dad had Age Concern (or similar) come to the house and filled the forms in for him. It was a huge weight off his mind and a big help.
Good luck x