Is this the start of dementia?

hiedicat

Mar 14, 2012
Doncaster
my dad has been suffering from short periods of confusion and memory loss last for about 30 mins to an hour then returns back to normal. Thus has happened about 6 times in the last 18 months. He is awaiting a CT scan but the gp thinks it might be early signs of dementia. Any advice appreciated
A concerned daughter

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I think you'll have to wait for the scan. I guess the GP has ruled out vitamin deficiencies etc with blood tests?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
The Society Factsheet that can be read by clicking the 2nd line of the following link will take you through the early signs of dementia

The progression of Alzheimer's disease and other dementias (458)
PDF printable version

As Beate has said, the scan may show something if all other conditions, or TIA's, have been ruled out by blood tests etc.

With my wife, loss of short term memory was seen in the early stages but it was accompanied by a general loss of cognitive ability that was permanently in evidence.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
my dad has been suffering from short periods of confusion and memory loss last for about 30 mins to an hour then returns back to normal. Thus has happened about 6 times in the last 18 months. He is awaiting a CT scan but the gp thinks it might be early signs of dementia. Any advice appreciated
A concerned daughter

Has the GP checked your dad's hearing because my dad's ears were totally blocked when I first raised concerns about his memory? Also has he had the blood tests because diabetes and anaemia can be a factor as well as urine infections. Also when dad was diagnosed with Alzheimers we were both depressed but then we started a new life. I took him out to lunch and generally did more things together.

MaNaAk