Sleep tips

Hayleyjade93

Jan 20, 2019
hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone has any advise on natural products that can aid with sleep?

My Nan before and since being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s seems to be up and down a lot in the night, it’s probably when she is most active, some nights it’s just to go the toilet or she’s restless, others she is up and down all night which causes her to be exhausted the next day and my grandad to have so little sleep.

She has been prescribed medication to help with her sleep but this hasn’t seemed to have a great effect, we have also moved her donepezil to the evening following their advise as she was getting too drowsy in the day.

Has anyone found using essential oils? Sleep related lavender products such as body creams/ pillow sprays to be effective?
We find if she has had a settled night she faces the next day a lot better with less anxiety and confusion, a bad night sleep and she will then sleep all day with little motivation to eat/ go anywhere

All ideas and opinions appreciated

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The most useful I have found is two paracetamol at bedtime if restless - or during the night - so that any niggles are calmed down. I tend to use this on myself more than my husband if I can’t get to sleep.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
We have changed our complete routine, no TV after 9. A slow potter towards bed usually about ten. I try not to put on bright lights. Last coffee after lunch, herb tea or youghurt/milky drink in evenings. I try to do some activity with my husband during the day to get him to move. I aim for a calm atmosphere.
It is all hard work though and one could not expect your grandfather to do this. It might help the Carers who can.
We all need good sleep.
Marionq idea is a good one, talk to GP too. People react to sleeping pills in different ways,once in hospital I was given one, I slept for a few hours then woke with a bang and was more awake then I have ever been.
Serotonin levels help talk to GP.
But often sleepless is the pattern, for a while I had to reassure, persuade it was just too early.
My sleep suffered too. It does now but for different reasons but the routine helps.

We record any programmes we want to watch in the day, often after lunch. I think it has to be a multi approach.
I do put Lavender oil in creams and I use a diffuser to combat dry air for this I vary the oils.

Perhaps it is not just about sleep, if your Nan is anxious these concerns need to be addressed too.

I use herb teas from an Indian sounding name beginning with P I am not allowed to name the company, these are Ayurvedic. There is a nighttime, after dinner, turmeric etc.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The trouble with using sleeping tablets is that with people with dementia the problem is not usually insomnia, it is a breakdown of the normal day/night biorhythms.

I find an oil burner with cedar oil in it quite soporific, so I sometimes use a combination of lavender and ceder oil.

Hayleyjade93

Jan 20, 2019
The most useful I have found is two paracetamol at bedtime if restless - or during the night - so that any niggles are calmed down. I tend to use this on myself more than my husband if I can’t get to sleep.
Thank you for your reply, we are trying to avoid more paracetamol etc at the moment as she will take the normal maximum dose most days, so really trying the alternatives at the moment and hoping that her medication will kick in soon or may be aided by other things x

Hayleyjade93

Jan 20, 2019
We have changed our complete routine, no TV after 9. A slow potter towards bed usually about ten. I try not to put on bright lights. Last coffee after lunch, herb tea or youghurt/milky drink in evenings. I try to do some activity with my husband during the day to get him to move. I aim for a calm atmosphere.
It is all hard work though and one could not expect your grandfather to do this. It might help the Carers who can.
We all need good sleep.
Marionq idea is a good one, talk to GP too. People react to sleeping pills in different ways,once in hospital I was given one, I slept for a few hours then woke with a bang and was more awake then I have ever been.
But often sleepless is the pattern, for a while I had to reassure, persuade it was just too early.
My sleep suffered too. It does now but for different reasons but the routine helps.

We record any programmes we want to watch in the day, often after lunch. I think it has to be a multi approach.
I do put Lavender oil in creams and I use a diffuser to combat dry air for this I vary the oils.

Perhaps it is not just about sleep, if your Nan is anxious these concerns need to be addressed too.

I use herb teas from an Indian sounding name beginning with P I am not allowed to name the company, these are Ayurvedic. There is a nighttime, after dinner, turmeric etc.
Hey, thank you for your reply. We have started doing the whole no caffeine after a certain time etc and she doesn’t really have much stimulation at night anyway as she can’t bare to watch the tv for very long.
Her daily anxiety’s are of leaving the house and this is somethings she’s had for a long time which our Alzheimer’s nurse is going to be working on us with because my Nan has

Hayleyjade93

Jan 20, 2019
Hey, thank you for your reply. We have started doing the whole no caffeine after a certain time etc and she doesn’t really have much stimulation at night anyway as she can’t bare to watch the tv for very long.
Her daily anxiety’s are of leaving the house and this is somethings she’s had for a long time which our Alzheimer’s nurse is going to be working on us with because my Nan has
We all need good sleep.

Sorry posted before I had finished, my Nan has explained her anxiety is mainly because she feels safer in the house so we are going to work with her on this but hoping things like burning oil/ oil diffusers etc could help and just wanted to see how people got on with these every little helps really x

Hayleyjade93

Jan 20, 2019
The trouble with using sleeping tablets is that with people with dementia the problem is not usually insomnia, it is a breakdown of the normal day/night biorhythms.

I find an oil burner with cedar oil in it quite soporific, so I sometimes use a combination of lavender and ceder oil.
Thank you for your reply I will look into the cedar oil, I don’t even know if she’ll let us try it but I’m giving anything a go in the hope she gets on with it x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Trouble is what works for one does not for another, also what works one time might not another either.
I feel feeling secure is vital especially when someone loses old skills. It is lovely to hear how thoughtful you are towards your grandparents Hayleyjade

Hayleyjade93

Jan 20, 2019
Trouble is what works for one does not for another, also what works one time might not another either.
I feel feeling secure is vital especially when someone loses old skills. It is lovely to hear how thoughtful you are towards your grandparents Hayleyjade
Thank you, they both raised me pretty much and have done an awful lot for me all my life so I want to the one that’s there to help as not all family feel the same so as much information and advise as we can get is the best and we can just try things xx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
you will find help on here, please do not take it all on board, everycase is different. Take care of yourself in all this. X

Hayleyjade93

Jan 20, 2019
you will find help on here, please do not take it all on board, everycase is different. Take care of yourself in all this. X
There’s me and my mum and a few distant relatives, finding these threads really useful though and it’s nice to be able to just vent, thank you xx

Joy1960

Oct 29, 2018
Hi everyone,
I've been following this thread with interest as my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last July.
My dad (her main carer) died at the end of Oct last year and whilst mum found this difficult to process initially she seems to be quite settled with the situation now.
We have carers in 3 x day as I work 3 days a week and I have security cameras linked to my phone that I can viewed see what she's up to.
She's quite happy to stay inside and at the moment doesn't wander but I've noticed that her sleeping pattern has changed dramatically.
She will get undressed at her normal time ..8 ish..go to bed bout 10/11ish but will be up 2 hrs later dressed and sat downstairs in her chair where she will stay until morning.
I've phoned her in the early hours to remind her to go to bed and she'l say she will ,but puts the phone down and stays in the chair.
I've asked her if she's anxious about being on her own but she says she's fine and not scared.
She also has VERY sleepy days where she could sleep the clock round if left and even falls asleep eating or brushing her hair,which I presume will be due to the irregular sleep pattern and her body catching up.
Sorry for the long post but it's just hard at times ..it was tonight as she was an **** with the carer and refused any tea or help from them but then expected me to cook!!
Rant over ..thanks for listening!!

Hayleyjade93

Jan 20, 2019
Hi everyone,
I've been following this thread with interest as my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last July.
My dad (her main carer) died at the end of Oct last year and whilst mum found this difficult to process initially she seems to be quite settled with the situation now.
We have carers in 3 x day as I work 3 days a week and I have security cameras linked to my phone that I can viewed see what she's up to.
She's quite happy to stay inside and at the moment doesn't wander but I've noticed that her sleeping pattern has changed dramatically.
She will get undressed at her normal time ..8 ish..go to bed bout 10/11ish but will be up 2 hrs later dressed and sat downstairs in her chair where she will stay until morning.
I've phoned her in the early hours to remind her to go to bed and she'l say she will ,but puts the phone down and stays in the chair.
I've asked her if she's anxious about being on her own but she says she's fine and not scared.
She also has VERY sleepy days where she could sleep the clock round if left and even falls asleep eating or brushing her hair,which I presume will be due to the irregular sleep pattern and her body catching up.
Sorry for the long post but it's just hard at times ..it was tonight as she was an **** with the carer and refused any tea or help from them but then expected me to cook!!
Rant over ..thanks for listening!!
Thank you for the message I understand exactly what you mean, my man is the same she will sleep most of the day, she normally will say she has a headache but then hasn’t later on and when you say she had one she says she never, although the go and consultant think it’s an excuse to not have to leave the house.
Unfortunately it is just really hard and can be so stressful, just remember she isn’t doing it be spiteful or nasty, it is just in her head and she probably doesn’t realise what she’s doing, just take everything as it comes and each day as a new day. This is something we’re learning to do as we got to a point where it was so stressful and we were thinking the worst. It sounds like you are doing everything you can, and that’s all we can do is our best xx

Con05

Nov 1, 2018
hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone has any advise on natural products that can aid with sleep?

My Nan before and since being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s seems to be up and down a lot in the night, it’s probably when she is most active, some nights it’s just to go the toilet or she’s restless, others she is up and down all night which causes her to be exhausted the next day and my grandad to have so little sleep.

She has been prescribed medication to help with her sleep but this hasn’t seemed to have a great effect, we have also moved her donepezil to the evening following their advise as she was getting too drowsy in the day.

Has anyone found using essential oils? Sleep related lavender products such as body creams/ pillow sprays to be effective?
We find if she has had a settled night she faces the next day a lot better with less anxiety and confusion, a bad night sleep and she will then sleep all day with little motivation to eat/ go anywhere

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
hi everyone

Hi, in my Mums case there has been nothing that works.
Even six months of Melatonin didn't help. After a recent meeting with our CPD it's been decided that The best option for Mum is to let her carry on as any strong drugs to help will increase her in danger of falling as she walks about all night and there are only limited staff on duty in her CH.
I'm happy with that, I've tried various things such as lavender scented stick up room fresheners, lavender mist on the bed sheets, rescue remedy night etc. When Mum lived with me I reluctantly used Zopiclone occasionally but even that didn't work.
Mums brain is making her walk around nightly, one of the main reasons she is now in a CH sadly.
I hope you find something that works x
Ps I also tried an electric blanket! Paracetamol too
Desperation set in and I made myself ill caring for Mum which I don't regret doing but in the end I knew I couldn't carry on, I miss her so much but visit her and it's as good as it can be

Hayleyjade93

Jan 20, 2019
Hi, in my Mums case there has been nothing that works.
Even six months of Melatonin didn't help. After a recent meeting with our CPD it's been decided that The best option for Mum is to let her carry on as any strong drugs to help will increase her in danger of falling as she walks about all night and there are only limited staff on duty in her CH.
I'm happy with that, I've tried various things such as lavender scented stick up room fresheners, lavender mist on the bed sheets, rescue remedy night etc. When Mum lived with me I reluctantly used Zopiclone occasionally but even that didn't work.
Mums brain is making her walk around nightly, one of the main reasons she is now in a CH sadly.
I hope you find something that works x
Ps I also tried an electric blanket! Paracetamol too
Desperation set in and I made myself ill caring for Mum which I don't regret doing but in the end I knew I couldn't carry on, I miss her so much but visit her and it's as good as it can be
Yeah sometimes you just can’t do anymore and it’s completely understandable. We’re not at that stage yet and hopefully it never comes but we have spoke about the possibility. So sorry to hear about your mum, thank you for your reply, we’re going to try the aroma therapy oils and sprays and just see if it makes any difference

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
Yeah sometimes you just can’t do anymore and it’s completely understandable. We’re not at that stage yet and hopefully it never comes but we have spoke about the possibility. So sorry to hear about your mum, thank you for your reply, we’re going to try the aroma therapy oils and sprays and just see if it makes any difference
Good luck Hayley x

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have been wondering if anyone has tried using a weighted blanket for a PWD. They make all sorts of claims about helping people with stress, anxiety, depression and a few other things but they are fairly expensive to buy and then there is the issue of incontinence and laundry which brings in another dimension to their use.

My OH was diagnosed almost five years with AD and the only sleep problems he had was the need to go to the toilet because of prostate problems. Following an illness a few months ago, his sleep pattern appears to be changing noticeably so I am trying to prepare for the future. I don't need anything more in the way of bedding but if it works, I would be prepared to buy one.

Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife