Dad in hospital with pneumonia

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @Duggies-girl. How is your Dad doing? xxx

Hi @KathrynAnne I couldn't post for a while, it has all been too upsetting and overwhelming. I have been following your post 'Feeling a bit overwhelmed' and I really appreciate that you have thought about me when you have so much to contend with yourself. You are obviously a very kind person with a lot of strength and I admire how you are caring for your mum.

I have lost track of the days and time since dad's admittance on Sunday morning. I think he pulled out his canula on Sunday night and had to have a pint of blood on the Monday. He was relatively ok on Monday afternoon and evening but slightly more confused and still unable to stand.

I went in on Tuesday to find that he had been moved to another ward and was extremely agitated and probably delirious. Apparently I had plotted to have him moved and was trying to kill him to get his money. The way he looked at me was just awful, then my brother turned up and he was in on the plot too so I was grateful for that at least. Dad accused us or mainly me of all sorts of ridiculous things, it was really upsetting. The only one he would believe was my SIL I know it is because of the infection and not knowing where he is but it is still hurtful. Of course he has forgotten all about that now.

We left soon after as he had calmed down as we thought it best but we were called back in later the same evening as dad was having breathing problems. It was dreadful, he looked so small and white and I truly thought he was dying, his breathing was terrible. I just didn't know what to do. It was heartbreaking to watch him and I couldn't stop crying. Then he kind of recovered and he was completely delirious. I won't go into it but it was horrible. My brother and I had to stay all night just to keep him on his bed. He was going to walk home but of course he couldn't stand.

He was given two sedatives that didn't seem to work and finally fell asleep when everyone else was waking up. I was completely wiped out with emotions everywhere.

Went back yesterday twice and he looked much better and they think he had had a heart attack during the previous horrible night so another thing to add. He had another unit of blood along with the intravenous antibiotics twice a day. Last night I slept like a log and apparently dad was not too much trouble.

Today he looks like a new man, He looks bigger, more like he normally does. He has a nice new walking frame and ate his dinner. Smiling, sitting upright in a chair wearing his nice clean clothes and brand new pants and socks. I can't believe the change, he is also very happy with his new cabin and crew and expects the ship to be underway soon. He is looking forward to his cruise.

In the last few days I have broken my heart because he is dying, I have wished that he would die just for it to be over, I have been relieved that he didn't die because he is such a lovely man and I don't know what to make of it all. I know that it is all a bit much.

One good thing, I think my brother and I are on the same page at last and he has seen what he may have to contend with if dad does goes home. At least dad is still continent but anything could change at any time.

I will wait and see what tomorrow brings and hope for the best.

Have a lovely night out with your husband on Saturday.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh @Duggies-girl what an emotional roller coaster you're on. Your poor dad. I'm glad you and your brother are together in this. Thinking of you all an wishing you strength.

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Couldn't just read and not post. What a roller coaster for you. I do hope your Dad has continued to make progress. Sending you lots of ((((((((((warm hugs)))))))).x

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Duggies-girl,

You are still in my thoughts and I hope your dad feels better.

Hugs from

MaNaAk

KathrynAnne

Jun 6, 2018
South Yorkshire
Hi @KathrynAnne I couldn't post for a while, it has all been too upsetting and overwhelming. I have been following your post 'Feeling a bit overwhelmed' and I really appreciate that you have thought about me when you have so much to contend with yourself. You are obviously a very kind person with a lot of strength and I admire how you are caring for your mum.

I have lost track of the days and time since dad's admittance on Sunday morning. I think he pulled out his canula on Sunday night and had to have a pint of blood on the Monday. He was relatively ok on Monday afternoon and evening but slightly more confused and still unable to stand.

I went in on Tuesday to find that he had been moved to another ward and was extremely agitated and probably delirious. Apparently I had plotted to have him moved and was trying to kill him to get his money. The way he looked at me was just awful, then my brother turned up and he was in on the plot too so I was grateful for that at least. Dad accused us or mainly me of all sorts of ridiculous things, it was really upsetting. The only one he would believe was my SIL I know it is because of the infection and not knowing where he is but it is still hurtful. Of course he has forgotten all about that now.

We left soon after as he had calmed down as we thought it best but we were called back in later the same evening as dad was having breathing problems. It was dreadful, he looked so small and white and I truly thought he was dying, his breathing was terrible. I just didn't know what to do. It was heartbreaking to watch him and I couldn't stop crying. Then he kind of recovered and he was completely delirious. I won't go into it but it was horrible. My brother and I had to stay all night just to keep him on his bed. He was going to walk home but of course he couldn't stand.

He was given two sedatives that didn't seem to work and finally fell asleep when everyone else was waking up. I was completely wiped out with emotions everywhere.

Went back yesterday twice and he looked much better and they think he had had a heart attack during the previous horrible night so another thing to add. He had another unit of blood along with the intravenous antibiotics twice a day. Last night I slept like a log and apparently dad was not too much trouble.

Today he looks like a new man, He looks bigger, more like he normally does. He has a nice new walking frame and ate his dinner. Smiling, sitting upright in a chair wearing his nice clean clothes and brand new pants and socks. I can't believe the change, he is also very happy with his new cabin and crew and expects the ship to be underway soon. He is looking forward to his cruise.

In the last few days I have broken my heart because he is dying, I have wished that he would die just for it to be over, I have been relieved that he didn't die because he is such a lovely man and I don't know what to make of it all. I know that it is all a bit much.

One good thing, I think my brother and I are on the same page at last and he has seen what he may have to contend with if dad does goes home. At least dad is still continent but anything could change at any time.

I will wait and see what tomorrow brings and hope for the best.

Have a lovely night out with your husband on Saturday.
Thank you so much for the update. I’ve been thinking about you and your Dad ever since you posted that he had gone into hospital. You’ve certainly had an extremely traumatic time and I really hope that things continue to improve now. It’s heartwarming to know that your Dad believes he is embarking on his cruise.
I’m getting giddy about my night out tomorrow. I just hope it won’t be a let down as I’m looking forward to it so much!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I had times of staying in hospital with dad to keep him in bed and on the ward and know how draining emotionally and physically it is on top of seeing deterioration and the subsequent rollercoaster so make sure you also take care of yourself during this time. Sending a big hug

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I had times of staying in hospital with dad to keep him in bed and on the ward and know how draining emotionally and physically it is on top of seeing deterioration and the subsequent rollercoaster so make sure you also take care of yourself during this time. Sending a big hug

Yes thank you @love.dad.but.. Yes it was a struggle keeping dad in bed, especially as I had become the evil one but we got over that in the end and it is back to the dad that I know and love and he was much better tonight. A bit later tonight I got a call that he had fallen in the toilet but was ok. I do hope he is and will find out tomorrow. Deary me it is very hard.

Hdd85

Jan 27, 2019
Hi there just wanted to write in and let you know about our experience with mom who has alzheimers. She got respiratory pnemonia due to swallowing food into her lung. She stays at a care home and we have a caregiver with her while she is there too. It is a good place she is at but you have to b careful bc the prev place was terrible. They didnt have enough staff and they had a crazy head nurse. The one she is at now is really good. She started having breathing probs and we rushed her to the hosp. The dr was ok there and she went over goals of care but focused on that too much over just simply finding the issue and treating. Mom seemed to get somewhat better. The dr ordered a chest xray kindof as an after thought and they didnt find anything but they didnt explain the periodic difficulty w breathing. They sent her to her carehome and she seemed ok the next am. By 3pm though she was laborously breathing and we sent her to hosp again via ambulance. When we got to hosp a counsellor met us which was scary. They figured out that yes it was pnemonia and they gave her iv antibiotics and oxygen. She wasnt doing so well for about an hr or so but then she turned a corner and started breathing normally. We were allowed to stay at the hosp and we stayed w her day and night for 6 days. She recovered but we had to deal with the young dr who was more focused on being doubtful the whole time rather than just treating the pnemonia. She was acting like what is the point of fully treating it. We just kept telling her yes just keep going w the treatment. I think that sometimes they need to get rid of this bias and keep things simple. We are feeding her protein popsicles which she loves and easier to swallow. We have her going out to the mall and even movies, only happy ones with lots of music. My sister and I are thinking of you too. Dont let anyone try to influence u on your treatment for your Dad if it doesnt feel right. We know one day it will be her time but it wasnt then! Please try to make each day special with your Dad and just for your own life too. Make the days count.