Utter twaddle?!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
oh my I just have to let off steam, and rant !!
OH took another fall Wednesday afternoon, again paramedics to lift with with the magic cushion , Ok stressful but dealt with!!
Terrible night that night OH up and down wanted tea at 5am then he went back to sleeep! I did not of course!!
Yesterday the first home visit from physio!!! He was bright, breezy, funny ha ha , engaging and virtually walked upright and with easy to the other room! Hosting or not I was dumbfounded, I did explain to her he must be having a good day!
Well last night was awful!!!he woke me many times, saying we needed to dress, again with got to get the transport, but more importantly when I woke him this morning he could hardly raise up , virtually unable to walk and speaking absolute twaddle!!!!!!!!! The only time any clarity was when he said, Oh it’s Ok for you!
Hurtful!!
Well I’ve had my rant, and now dreading Monday, 28th.......home visit with Memory nurse, and I bet he’ll shine!!!!!!
(He was seen on Tuesday by Nurse practitioner, no infections)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh my, can I relate. If OH has a mega hosting session it leaves him so exhausted that the following day he is awful
It also sounds like your OH is sundowning too.

I hope the Memory Nurse can see through the hosting on Monday
xx

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
I hope you don't mind me joining in here?

I had a very similar conversation with my niece this morning. My mum is an undiagnosed dementia patient. When she is with me/dad or my husband she repeats herself, gets frustrated, rants, cries you name it all the "symptoms" come out.

In front of other people she is fine! To the point that someone said to me a few weeks ago "really? She had a perfectly fine conversation?"

I don't know how they can turn it off and on? Do I say something to my mum?

Sorry to but in..............

Jxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yesterday the first home visit from physio!!! He was bright, breezy, funny ha ha , engaging and virtually walked upright and with easy to the other room! Hosting or not I was dumbfounded,

It is exactly how my husband behaved when I was concerned about his mobility and asked for an assessment. It really is unbelievable isn`t it?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I remember my MIL who had Vas dem when she was in hospital. She had declined so rapidly that we were all told that she was at end of life. She was bed bound, all curled up in the foetal position, had to be fed and was without speech. She would pass away within the month.

And yet......... the physio came to assess her and got her standing unaided :confused::confused::confused:

I really dont think that the PWD is aware of what they are doing.

TheBearsMummy

Sep 29, 2017
East Midlands
When the Occupational Therapist came to carry out an assessment she had to squeeze past the 3 wheel walker in the hall but our PWD seated next to her managed to raise one leg right up to nearly touching her nose and declared she can still do the splits when she goes dancing! Fortunately whilst impressed by this the OT was not fooled, she asked who the walker belonged to and was told "no idea, I've seen it of course but I've no idea who it belongs to"
How they manage to do these things I have no idea

Peachez

Jun 19, 2016
South East England
make sure he has a busy day beforehand, so he's already tired?
take a film or voice recording on a phone if you can?
I did this to show how my OH was walking to the the GP, and it caused raised eyebrows and helped me feel listened to ! It's so difficult for the nurses and doctors, as they can only go on the evidence they see, even when they're aware of 'hosting'. Good luck.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
I hope you don't mind me joining in here?

I had a very similar conversation with my niece this morning. My mum is an undiagnosed dementia patient. When she is with me/dad or my husband she repeats herself, gets frustrated, rants, cries you name it all the "symptoms" come out.

In front of other people she is fine! To the point that someone said to me a few weeks ago "really? She had a perfectly fine conversation?"

I don't know how they can turn it off and on? Do I say something to my mum?

Sorry to but in..............

Jxx
It was lovely that you did join in! Thanks a lot!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
I did this to show how my OH was walking to the the GP, and it caused raised eyebrows and helped me feel listened to ! It's so difficult for the nurses and doctors, as they can only go on the evidence they see, even when they're aware of 'hosting'. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply!
Oh what a life! The memory nurse due 1.30 so Iam hoping he will tire, as he usually has an afternoon nap!
But today is a particularly hellish day,
It’s just nice to know other care enough to answer! X

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
When the Occupational Therapist came to carry out an assessment she had to squeeze past the 3 wheel walker in the hall but our PWD seated next to her managed to raise one leg right up to nearly touching her nose and declared she can still do the splits when she goes dancing! Fortunately whilst impressed by this the OT was not fooled, she asked who the walker belonged to and was told "no idea, I've seen it of course but I've no idea who it belongs to"
How they manage to do these things I have no idea
Thanks for your reply, I did laugh but of course it rang true , as the sort of thing I could I ag8ne OH doing/ saying.
This road we are now traveling is one I was hoping we wouldn’t have to discover!
Thanks for replying, it’s nice to know people care enough to respond!
best wishes.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Thanks for your reply!
Oh what a life! The memory nurse due 1.30 so Iam hoping he will tire, as he usually has an afternoon nap!
But today is a particularly hellish day,
It’s just nice to know other care enough to answer! X
Oh so sorry it's a hellish day, sweetheart. I know, what a life! With you all the way. With love and best, Kindred xx

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
I remember my MIL who had Vas dem when she was in hospital. She had declined so rapidly that we were all told that she was at end of life. She was bed bound, all curled up in the foetal position, had to be fed and was without speech. She would pass away within the month.

And yet......... the physio came to assess her and got her standing unaided :confused::confused::confused:

I really dont think that the PWD is aware of what they are doing.
Thanks for replying!
I wonder!!!
Sometimes I think it’s done deliberately, but I suppose not! It just feels like it!
But between yesterday and today you would believe it was two completely different persons!
Oh well, something more to learn and remember about this rotten desease!
And this is only the beginning.
Regards.x