just gone into care

chris_b

Jan 24, 2019
Having just gone into care, my mum has left her home which will have to be sold to pay for her care.

However the first thing I want to know is what to do about services.

I heard a rumour that the council can reduce costs of services to the house as no one is living there.

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards
Chris

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi and welcome ...
Many others with more experience will soon be along to give advice.
However, when my Mum went into a Care Home I rang the local council and her council tax payment was stopped with effect from the day she moved into residential care. It is taking an eternity to sell her Assisted Living apartment, but at least she is not paying Council Tax. As her apartment is heated by electricity, I have turned that down to an acceptably low level and cancelled the telephone (BT also refunded up to the date she moved out). I removed anything of value and, due to its location, cancelled contents insurance too.

So many things for you to do - hope all goes well and Mum is OK.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Having just gone into care, my mum has left her home which will have to be sold to pay for her care.

However the first thing I want to know is what to do about services.

I heard a rumour that the council can reduce costs of services to the house as no one is living there.

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards
Chris
My mother-in-law when she went into care, never paid council tax in the first place as she was living on her own, with dementia and claiming AA. She was exempt from council tax as she was classed as severely mentally impaired

Last edited:

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello and a warm welcome to TP @chris_b

It also might be a good idea to talk to the insurance company that covers the property and find out what their requirements are for an empty property

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Not all insurance companies will insure an empty property. When mum moved into her care home I contacted her insurance company and they simply told me that they do not insure empty properties and promptly cancelled the policy!

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
There are policies you can get which cover empty properties. Depending on how much of a risk it is, you might want to look at that. They can be tailored to provide cover only for the time it's vacant, but there may be a requirement for someone to visit regularly to check everything is secure and in order.