After all the worry....hospitals/care homes and UTIs!

emmamac

Sep 15, 2009
I wanted to post this to show anyone heading along a similar road that it can all turn out OK in the end!

Last year I posted a few times about my mum who was 90, living alone with dementia and me being her only child, juggling a full time job with my own family and daily care for her. I finally got a care package after a lot of fighting for it, in November but it was all too little too late, and in early December she suffered several falls, 2 UTI's and ended up in hospital with a fractured pelvis for 5 weeks.

Mum isn't self funding so trying to get SS to agree to residential care was very hard, but once she was in hospital, they really couldn't ignore it any longer and decided to discharge her to a contract bed in a care home. Just two and a half weeks ago I was feeling really anxious. I was given one choice of home, 9 miles from home. Having seen another home from the same group locally, I was feeling pretty miserable as it was a soulless place which filled me with dismay when I thought of my poor mum there.

I agreed to go and see the proposed home and am so glad I did. What a difference! It was bright, clean and cheerful. Staff and residents were smiley and happy and there was so much going on. It was also walking distance of my son's secondary school and although not hear to home for us, only a 10 minute drive from where I work. I agreed to mum being moved there and last Weds collected her from hospital and we began the next stage of her journey.

I had high hopes on arrival that all would be well as she seemed very happy and was chatting to other residents while I unpacked and sorted her room. However, a carer came to say she'd asked 'Where's my daugher? Tell her to get here NOW!" When I went to see what was the matter, she refused to speak to me and just gave me filthy looks. In the end I said I'd pop home but would she like me to go back with my son after school (she adores him) to which I got a firm 'No!" So I left. By this time, only a couple of hours after arriving, the staff had suggested she might have a UTI. Testing her wee proved positive and her GP refused antibiotics!! The home were wonderful and put up with some really bad behaviour from her on Thursday and Friday - refusing to go to bed, 2 minor falls, attempting to kick and hit carers at night. They sorted her registration with their GP who promptly gave her antibiotics and on Saturday when I gingerly visited for the first time since Weds, she was a different person. We all headed to the day room and had lovely tea and coffee and enjoyed our time together. She was clean and smart and quite content.

Yesterday when I visited she had made friends with a little lady whose dementia seems more advanced than mum. Mum was being very caring and protective and they kept hugging and holding hands. Mum kept reassuring her and saying 'Don't worry - it'll all be alright. We've got each other!" It was heartwarming!

Amusingly, mum's new friend kept looking blankly at her watch. Mum smiled reassuringly and said "Yes, its a cheesewaffle! Look I've got a cheesewaffle too!" and pointed to her own wristwatch! I had to smile!

So, I just want to let anyone who may be about to embark on this stage of the journey that it CAN work out and even the hiccups on the way can be managed and overcome and our loved ones settled and content. I'm under no illusion that mum may not still have her days when she's not happy and wants to go home etc, but for now, knowing she is safe, warm, cared for, and has plenty to do is enough! And for all of you, I wish you at least some moments of contentment with your loved ones too...xxxx

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I wanted to post this to show anyone heading along a similar road that it can all turn out OK in the end!

Last year I posted a few times about my mum who was 90, living alone with dementia and me being her only child, juggling a full time job with my own family and daily care for her. I finally got a care package after a lot of fighting for it, in November but it was all too little too late, and in early December she suffered several falls, 2 UTI's and ended up in hospital with a fractured pelvis for 5 weeks.

Mum isn't self funding so trying to get SS to agree to residential care was very hard, but once she was in hospital, they really couldn't ignore it any longer and decided to discharge her to a contract bed in a care home. Just two and a half weeks ago I was feeling really anxious. I was given one choice of home, 9 miles from home. Having seen another home from the same group locally, I was feeling pretty miserable as it was a soulless place which filled me with dismay when I thought of my poor mum there.

I agreed to go and see the proposed home and am so glad I did. What a difference! It was bright, clean and cheerful. Staff and residents were smiley and happy and there was so much going on. It was also walking distance of my son's secondary school and although not hear to home for us, only a 10 minute drive from where I work. I agreed to mum being moved there and last Weds collected her from hospital and we began the next stage of her journey.

I had high hopes on arrival that all would be well as she seemed very happy and was chatting to other residents while I unpacked and sorted her room. However, a carer came to say she'd asked 'Where's my daugher? Tell her to get here NOW!" When I went to see what was the matter, she refused to speak to me and just gave me filthy looks. In the end I said I'd pop home but would she like me to go back with my son after school (she adores him) to which I got a firm 'No!" So I left. By this time, only a couple of hours after arriving, the staff had suggested she might have a UTI. Testing her wee proved positive and her GP refused antibiotics!! The home were wonderful and put up with some really bad behaviour from her on Thursday and Friday - refusing to go to bed, 2 minor falls, attempting to kick and hit carers at night. They sorted her registration with their GP who promptly gave her antibiotics and on Saturday when I gingerly visited for the first time since Weds, she was a different person. We all headed to the day room and had lovely tea and coffee and enjoyed our time together. She was clean and smart and quite content.

Yesterday when I visited she had made friends with a little lady whose dementia seems more advanced than mum. Mum was being very caring and protective and they kept hugging and holding hands. Mum kept reassuring her and saying 'Don't worry - it'll all be alright. We've got each other!" It was heartwarming!

Amusingly, mum's new friend kept looking blankly at her watch. Mum smiled reassuringly and said "Yes, its a cheesewaffle! Look I've got a cheesewaffle too!" and pointed to her own wristwatch! I had to smile!

So, I just want to let anyone who may be about to embark on this stage of the journey that it CAN work out and even the hiccups on the way can be managed and overcome and our loved ones settled and content. I'm under no illusion that mum may not still have her days when she's not happy and wants to go home etc, but for now, knowing she is safe, warm, cared for, and has plenty to do is enough! And for all of you, I wish you at least some moments of contentment with your loved ones too...xxxx
So glad it's positive for you. My mother in law went into residential care last summer and we felt an enormous pressure had been lifted from us. It was the best decision we made for her

emmamac

Sep 15, 2009
what a relief for you and your family @emmamac
such a good sign that the staff picked up and acted on the UTI straight away[/QUOT
I was so impressed! Couldn't believe that the hospital had discharged her with an undiagnosed UTI though. And apparently her haemoglobin is in her boots so she's on iron now too. All things that could have been sorted in hospital!

emmamac

Sep 15, 2009
So glad it's positive for you. My mother in law went into residential care last summer and we felt an enormous pressure had been lifted from us. It was the best decision we made for her
Yes I agree. Although the guilt monster is still hanging around, I am feeling so much better and can't believe I actually have some life back again! The 24 hour worry has lifted which is amazing.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
What a wonderful positive post @emmamac :)

I remember you and Im so glad things are working out. My mum settled in well too and I felt it was the best thing that had happened to mum

Take the Talking Point Guilt Monster Bashing stick to give that guilt monster a good bashing
t0153.gif

emmamac

Sep 15, 2009
What a wonderful positive post @emmamac :)

I remember you and Im so glad things are working out. My mum settled in well too and I felt it was the best thing that had happened to mum

Take the Talking Point Guilt Monster Bashing stick to give that guilt monster a good bashing
t0153.gif
Thanks Canary! I still feel nervous when I go to visit her as I'm always worried about how she will be but am being harsh on the Guilt Monster and will give it a good bash! xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I'm always worried about how she will be
It will take you time to adjust too, you know. It isnt just her having to settle. She is bound to have the odd bad day, but both of you need to learn to trust the carers and relax - it will take time. It sounds like a lovely home

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I'm glad it is working out so well for you and your mum. I think it can be really helpful if the move happens when the PWD still has the ability to build relationships and enjoy her surroundings. My mother moved into a care home a year ago, it does take a while to adjust but there is a relief in knowing she is well looked after 24/7 - and she loves it. (I must get myself one of those cheesewaffles!)

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I think we often focus so much on how the move will be for the person with dementia, that we can lost sight of what a big transition it is for us as well.

My mother has done extremely well in her care home, better than I could ever have hoped. It is not without minor issues but overall it's been excellent and I cannot fault the carers. My mother quickly made a "best friend" in her care home and that in itself was an unexpected blessing.

My cheesewaffle hasn't been working lately. Perhaps it needs a new battery??

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
You are so right, it is a huge relief to know that our loved ones are safe and cared for and that we don't always realise how much pressure we have put on ourselves until that pressure is reduced.

I still feel guilty that Mum is in a nursing home but I know now that it was the right thing for her and us. Glad that your Mum has settled