Recent diagnosis

Hayleyjade93

Jan 20, 2019
Hi all

This is my first post and I’m hoping that being able to seek advise and generally vent on here may help with my own mental wellbeing as well as gaining information to help me in supporting my Nan.

Last week we finally received the diagnosis we have all been dreading, although fully already aware of that my man has mild to moderate Alzheimer’s. This has been going on for over a year really with me pushing and pushing the memory clinic for reassessments all the time as me and my family were noticing Nans forgetful ness wasn’t just old age. We’ve had good days and also some very difficult days where my Nan has believed she was dying and having paramedics out to other days where she just can’t remember if she’s eaten or not. We are a small family unit of myself, my mum and my grandparents and have manned this out from the start.
Now we have an actual diagnosis the consultant is starting her on donepezil and we will be going back in 6-8 weeks.

I thought I was prepared for the diagnosis and although it feels a weight has been lifted and we are optimistic about the medication all I want to do is help and support her in as many ways as possible and also support my grandad as he has struggled with watching my Nan change.

Does anyone have any advise on thing I can do or help them access to support them even more? At the moment the main issues in daily life are her forgetting her medications or throwing it away neliwveong she doesn’t need it/has taken it (and arguing with my grandad about it), having no appetite and believing she has/hasn’t eaten and then complaining of ‘hunger pain’ and also her daily anxiety when it comes to leaving the house, she has cancelled endless appointments with the hospital and as a lady who used to be out all day every day, we struggle even to just get her across the door?

Any help/advise just general listening is much appreciated :)

Thanks

Doodles87

Sep 4, 2018
Hi all

This is my first post and I’m hoping that being able to seek advise and generally vent on here may help with my own mental wellbeing as well as gaining information to help me in supporting my Nan.

Last week we finally received the diagnosis we have all been dreading, although fully already aware of that my man has mild to moderate Alzheimer’s. This has been going on for over a year really with me pushing and pushing the memory clinic for reassessments all the time as me and my family were noticing Nans forgetful ness wasn’t just old age. We’ve had good days and also some very difficult days where my Nan has believed she was dying and having paramedics out to other days where she just can’t remember if she’s eaten or not. We are a small family unit of myself, my mum and my grandparents and have manned this out from the start.
Now we have an actual diagnosis the consultant is starting her on donepezil and we will be going back in 6-8 weeks.

I thought I was prepared for the diagnosis and although it feels a weight has been lifted and we are optimistic about the medication all I want to do is help and support her in as many ways as possible and also support my grandad as he has struggled with watching my Nan change.

Does anyone have any advise on thing I can do or help them access to support them even more? At the moment the main issues in daily life are her forgetting her medications or throwing it away neliwveong she doesn’t need it/has taken it (and arguing with my grandad about it), having no appetite and believing she has/hasn’t eaten and then complaining of ‘hunger pain’ and also her daily anxiety when it comes to leaving the house, she has cancelled endless appointments with the hospital and as a lady who used to be out all day every day, we struggle even to just get her across the door?

Any help/advise just general listening is much appreciated :)

Thanks
Hi Hayley,

We got a diagnosis for dad last year after pushing for a diagnosis in 2011. When we got the diagnosis I didn't bat an eyelid as I was expecting it. I remember it hitting me about a month later and to be honest I'm still struggling to deal with it. What county do you live in if you don't mind me asking as I've just finally managed to get some useful help. In terms of your own wellbeing, I struggled with postnatal depression and with dad's deteriorating health it kind of just pushed it further. I've tried lots of things but everybody is different, but I find a local meditation class invaluable. Thinking of you x

Hayleyjade93

Jan 20, 2019
Hi Hayley,

We got a diagnosis for dad last year after pushing for a diagnosis in 2011. When we got the diagnosis I didn't bat an eyelid as I was expecting it. I remember it hitting me about a month later and to be honest I'm still struggling to deal with it. What county do you live in if you don't mind me asking as I've just finally managed to get some useful help. In terms of your own wellbeing, I struggled with postnatal depression and with dad's deteriorating health it kind of just pushed it further. I've tried lots of things but everybody is different, but I find a local meditation class invaluable. Thinking of you x

Hey,

we’re from Warwickshire, we have an Alzheimer’s nurse coming out in the week and the consultant has advised us to follow their process. We have had the support of an admiral nurse for many months now as our family GP realised we needed the support of a professional, although I understand it’s not usually how it’s done.

My feelings come in waves of being the strong, practical one that has all the positive advise and input, the being absolutely stuck with utter heartbreak. The relationship I have always had with my nan is such a strong bond I just want to be able to do the best for her and to keep her stimulated and active and support my grandad in everything as some times we look at him and he looks completely broken.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, dementia is so so cruel, but I’m actually really glad I’ve come across this forum ☺️ xx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Hayleyjade93, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Hayleyjade93

Jan 20, 2019
Hi KaraokePete,

Thank you for your post, I will definitely make use of those websites, as a family the more support and information we can get the better. Thinks like POA etc are things I’ve discussed with my grandad, I feel he may benefit first of all from meeting people who are in his same situation, which is why the groups I hope will be good for him. He doesn’t know much at all about Alzheimer’s and I can tell his thought process is jumping straight ahead to she won’t remember me, rather than him being able to comprehend and navigate around the here and now.

Thank you again for the help

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I found the university of Tasmania free online course useful and also watching teepa snow videos on YouTube.