cant swallow tablets?

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
This was a slight problem over the last few weeks but the last couple days my mother s really struggling. She drinks a god amount of water or 7up and its still there. A lot of the time she will say its gone and then you will see her mouth move and tablet has melted down or been flattened etc.

I will try and talk to doctor Monday.Its probably a case of crushing tablets and adding to food? Can you do this wih most tablets or did any of you have to talk to doctor and switch tablets?

Could this be the beginning of more swallowing problems?

Food seems okay this weekend and recently. We have moved to softer foods, smaller, cut up portions etc.

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
You dont necessarily need to speak to the doctor. A pharmacist can tell you whether or not it is safe to crush up the pills. Some pills must not be crushed so dont do it until you have spoken to a doctor or chemist. The pharmacist would also know if there may be a liquid version that would be suitable

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
This was a slight problem over the last few weeks but the last couple days my mother s really struggling. She drinks a god amount of water or 7up and its still there. A lot of the time she will say its gone and then you will see her mouth move and tablet has melted down or been flattened etc.

I will try and talk to doctor Monday.Its probably a case of crushing tablets and adding to food? Can you do this wih most tablets or did any of you have to talk to doctor and switch tablets?

Could this be the beginning of more swallowing problems?

Food seems okay this weekend and recently. We have moved to softer foods, smaller, cut up portions etc.
Have you checked the shape of the tablets..it's much easier to swallow caplets because they're a better shape. You could ask the pharmacist if it's possible to provide caplet shaped ones .

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
OH had the same problem. I started putting his tablets in yoghurt or mousse, and he swallowed them without problems with mouthfuls of soft dessert. Now and then he would bite a tablet involuntarily, but according to the SALT lady that wasn't a problem.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
C had that problem a year or two back and after switching one tablet to a chewable version she seemed to be ok again. I think we had to go to her GP though, as the pharmacist can advise, but only the GP could change the prescription even by that little detail. Good luck.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I was going to suggest the same thing as Beate - putting the tablet into a spoonful of yoghurt, chocolate mouse, jam or apple sauce. It makes it so much easier to swallow.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mums been at this stage for a while.
Her care home have removedthe no of uneccesary medication. eg meds for cholesterol & bladder
They have swapped some tablets to a smaller dose tablet but give one at a time.
They have tried tablets in a peice of banana, mixed in with food.
Crushed and sprinkled into a teaspoon of pudding.
Switched pain releif for liquid paracetamol and crushed medication into it.
They give it to her on a teaspoon.

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
thanks for all the ideas!

She was able to swallow some today but with a lot of 7up and sometimes a few attempts.

Will ask the doc can we crush some, change some, use liquid form etc. Its about quality of life now and anything to make her life(and ours!) easier

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
thanks for all the ideas!

She was able to swallow some today but with a lot of 7up and sometimes a few attempts.

Will ask the doc can we crush some, change some, use liquid form etc. Its about quality of life now and anything to make her life(and ours!) easier
My mum suddenly stopped being able to swallow tablets and we now have liquid form medicines,it's common

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I'd also ask about which medications can be given together, and at what time of day. Maybe you can reduce to twice or even once a day, when meds must be given.

Maybe some meds can be stopped altogether? I recently discontinued my mother's cholesterol medication as her high cholesterol is not a concern now. You may be able to reduce the number of meds you have to give.

I hope you get some solutions to make it easier. Best wishes.

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
I'd also ask about which medications can be given together, and at what time of day. Maybe you can reduce to twice or even once a day, when meds must be given.

Maybe some meds can be stopped altogether? I recently discontinued my mother's cholesterol medication as her high cholesterol is not a concern now. You may be able to reduce the number of meds you have to give.

I hope you get some solutions to make it easier. Best wishes.
Good idea, thank you! Hoping to speak to doctor tomorrow. Some tablet seem easier like ones in capsules or lighter ones but others stick to her tongue and she cant seem to swallow them

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
We were given gloup by the chemist-its like a jelly like substance to help tablets go down. Doctor got rid of one that was quite big to take as its not really needed anymore. She will make an appointment with speech therapist. She said we should stay away from toast and biscuits-two of my mothers favourites.

She is having some issues with food but we have moved to softer foods, smaller portions etc.

Is my mother approaching the end stages when this happens?I know there is more to come but when swallowing becomes a problem-is this the beginning of the end as such?

Of course its hard to know as everyone different but if anyone has any idea?