Using incontinence pads

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Is it common for pwds to pull or try to pull out their incontinence pad?

My dad had been using tena mens pull up pad which had been OK with him but following a recent appointment with the local incontinence service, they sent these sheer 'knickers' which is to be worn with a large pad. Well.... so far, my dad's either pulled it out or worn it but as the knicker is a bit loose, the pad tends to move and he ends up wetting himself. Poor thing. I think we will try to persevere but use the pad with his ordinary boxer shorts which fits him more snug than the knicker.

I have another question: Has anyone used washable incontinence pants? I'm wondering if they're as good as a tena pull-up.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Yes to the first question. Ask the nurse if there is a smaller size of the net pants available to hold the pad tighter. I’ll be contacting our nurse on Monday for a pad with more absorbency.

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
Hi,
I can suggest a couple of options for you but it depends on how bad your dads incontinence is.

My mum is now using the washable incontinence pants at night and they mostly work well for her but she only has light incontinence. The pants cannot cope with a large quantity of liquid. I would say at a guess that they are equivalent to about 3 "drops" on the disposable pad packs, The ones she gets are purchased online from a well known charity for the elderly and are well made, quality cotton and comfortable to wear. I would imagine that the ones for men are similarly well made.

The other option to stop him pulling off pads might be to go to the same website and get some washable "pouch" pants. These have a sewn in gusset which makes a pocket into which the pad is fed from one end. It means that the pad is not easily accessible to your dad and he wont really feel it - just the cotton gusset of the pants. Not sure Ive explained that well. I had to send off for a pair to be sure what they were like. Of course the gusset of the pants does get wet and so they need washing whenever the pad is changed, and you will need to check the size of the pads he uses to ensure that they will fit into the pouch.

Hope that helps.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @myss

It might be worth talking to the incontinence service as it is possible to be prescribed Tena pull-ups in certain circumstances. I managed to get them prescribed for dad (although the nurse told me he wouldn’t get them) by arguing that he wouldn’t be able to manage the pads by himself. Dad lived alone and had been taking the pads out of his pants when they got wet and not putting a new one in.

I also bought him some washable incontinence y-fronts and these worked well for light incontinence but soon got overwhelmed

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Thank you for the replies, they are much appreciated.

We were told from the very outset of our appointment with the incontinence service that they don't do pull-ups as my dad attended the appointment with tenas on.
The option to ask the service for smaller pairs of the net pants is a good one I didn't think of. However we're going to try to use his ordinary boxers because they looked exactly like the net pant we were shown at the appointment - the only difference being the material of course.
I'm liking the idea of washable incontinence pants but the ones I've seen seem to hold less liquid than the tenas. I think what I might do is look for the pant that holds the most and buy one to see if it works well and buy one that holds the pad like Ludlow suggested.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

sunlover

Dec 6, 2011
When I applied for pull ups and District Nurse visited he said no pull ups! After a phone call and visit got 2 pull ups a day.
Why I think because I said pull ups were norm to him and pads would loose his independence.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
They hate giving out pull-ups because they are so expensive. I insisted but we only got two a day which is nowhere near enough and we had to buy in. I still think they were the best for him.