Assessment of Care Home Fees

MothersCarer

Nov 13, 2014
I wonder if anyone can point me to somewhere I could get help in understanding the system of assessment for Care Home fees. I have already come up against difficulties in actually getting information from the LA and also in unravelling and understanding it. I have PoA for my mother and she is currently in the 12 week property disregard period with only a couple of weeks to go. Her home should be on the market the week after next. Because she and my father (he died many years ago) took out an equity release mortgage there will be little if any capital to pay the fees. I have, at every step, made the LA aware of this. If she had no capital it would be straight forward as it would if she had a lot. However it appears from the valuations we have for the house and the repayment of the mortgage she will not be eligible for the Deferred Payments Scheme. She may, however have to pay for a few weeks of her care but obviously does not have that money yet. I feel stuck and do not feel I have enough information. If I don't know before the LA I feel they will make a mess of it going on experience so far. Does anyone know who I could ring to give me advice or does anyone have experience of this?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I don't have experience of the situation, however, in the hope that it helps I've put a link to the relevant Society Factsheet. Click the PDF line for an easy read or to print the document
Paying for care and support in England (532)
PDF printable version

Otherwise maybe the help line could assist, details are
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

MothersCarer

Nov 13, 2014
Pressed post on that too quickly - sorry. That was just what I needed. I managed to talk to someone straight away. Thank you so much.