Mum diagnosed with early onset dementia

Panda66

Jan 18, 2019
Hi folks
Just joined the forum as my sister and I have just been told by my mum's GP mum has dementia.

Mum is not coping well and the main thing im worried about is her safety . I live in Northumberland and my sister is only a mile away from mum so is more hands on.

My mums GP in my view has been less then helpful. I did write to her GP as i needed to know about her mental capacity as im in the process of completing an LPA for mum. The GP did not have the courtesy to respond to me. So needless to say Im fuming as left messages, and still no response.

Im really looking for the next steps ... as mum needs a careplan and to be assessed in her home.

As it happens mum has fallen tonight. This has happened so quickly and im shocked how ill mum has become in a short space of time. It was only last week mum gets on a bus and does her weekly shop..... now we are at the stage of accidents and mum is struggling to speak to me on the phone.
Such a shock mum has changed so quickly.

Aero71

Jan 18, 2019
Hi folks
Just joined the forum as my sister and I have just been told by my mum's GP mum has dementia.

Mum is not coping well and the main thing im worried about is her safety . I live in Northumberland and my sister is only a mile away from mum so is more hands on.

My mums GP in my view has been less then helpful. I did write to her GP as i needed to know about her mental capacity as im in the process of completing an LPA for mum. The GP did not have the courtesy to respond to me. So needless to say Im fuming as left messages, and still no response.

Im really looking for the next steps ... as mum needs a careplan and to be assessed in her home.

As it happens mum has fallen tonight. This has happened so quickly and im shocked how ill mum has become in a short space of time. It was only last week mum gets on a bus and does her weekly shop..... now we are at the stage of accidents and mum is struggling to speak to me on the phone.
Such a shock mum has changed so quickly.

Aero71

Jan 18, 2019
Hi, we have just received a diagnosis for my f in law. He has had bladder incontinence for a while now and over the last few years suffered falls. We’re told these are likely to be TIA’s. He was told on Wednesday that he must notify DVLA, however it’s m in law that’s the problem here. She seems to be in denial and saying she’s coping. She’s expecting him to drive her to places still when he’s clearly no longer fit and able to.
I agree with you that it seems to be a sudden decline that happens very quickly. I don’t know whether he has early onset or what stage he is at. A letter is going to his GP- he was visited at home by the person who carried out the dementia test back in October; a copy will also be sent to them too. Hopefully this will clarify a few things as long as w are allowed to see it!
He was diagnosed after he failed the test with cognitive impairment- had we not asked to see the hospital letter about the MRI -which in fact turned out to be a CT scan- then we wouldn’t have even known about that! The letter was stuck to the back of the hospital letter.
Apparently m in law will not accept help because we (the family) are all ganging up on her behind her back and putting her in the same boat as him. She says she’s able to cope.
She’s not and she goads my f in law constantly. Which he doesn’t understand as he can no longer read facial expressions nor understand humour or sarcasm. In fact he struggles to follow a conversation at all.
I’m very worried for both of them.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Panda66 and @Aero71,you are both welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.