Biting

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
in the last six days OH has bitten someone twice! The first was the poor ambulance man who brought him back from hospital and then again today one of his Carers in the care home. The old OH would be devastated if he was aware that he had done this. It sounds as if he broke the skin on the second occasion as she was given a tetanus jab afterwards. Has anyone else come across this behaviour? It is totally foreign to his normal character to get violent. All I can think is that it’s like reverting back to Very young childhood where some children do bite until are trained not to do so. Of course have no idea whether he did bite when he was a baby. A stay in hospital always seems to start up something new when he comes out. I feel like weeping for him I really do.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Various things make PWD afraid. Recently my youngest daughter who is a very sweet, dainty person leaned over to wipe her Dads nose and he swore at her. He wasn’t expecting it I guess so reacted badly. Biting is a more extreme example and I don’t see how you can stop
It apart from possibly anti anxiety drugs. More things to worry about!

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
in the last six days OH has bitten someone twice! The first was the poor ambulance man who brought him back from hospital and then again today one of his Carers in the care home. The old OH would be devastated if he was aware that he had done this. It sounds as if he broke the skin on the second occasion as she was given a tetanus jab afterwards. Has anyone else come across this behaviour? It is totally foreign to his normal character to get violent. All I can think is that it’s like reverting back to Very young childhood where some children do bite until are trained not to do so. Of course have no idea whether he did bite when he was a baby. A stay in hospital always seems to start up something new when he comes out. I feel like weeping for him I really do.
This is sad, I do feel for you. I can't see what you can do. With a young child you just have to try and train them not to and eventually they do learn.With dementia of course, there is no learning. Was something done that took him by surprise? Or is it pure frustration? Maybe the doctor can give him something to help with his anxiety.