Purple legs

Misstep

Oct 7, 2015
South Wales
Mum is barely eating (milk & cake, very little else) and sleeps most of the time. She recognises me (but can't identify or name me). She struggles to string a sentence together & has had repeated falls. She broke her pelvis (we think) at the beginning of November & has been virtually unable to walk since. I noticed today that her feet & at least her lower legs have gone quite a dark purple & one toe looks swollen. I'm aware that the cause is declining circulation, partly due to immobility, but does anyone have any experience of this with their own relative? If so, how has it panned out? She's 91, with advanced mixed dementia

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH ( mixed dementia) had stents in both femoral (leg) arteries. For one leg that wasn’t enough, so he had a femoral-popliteal vein graft, which was fine, although he did ask what the scar on his leg was several tines! He was 81 at the time, late middle or early late stage ( he died 18 months later). That worked pretty well, but I’m not sure many dementia patients would cope.
Good luck!

Misstep

Oct 7, 2015
South Wales
OH ( mixed dementia) had stents in both femoral (leg) arteries. For one leg that wasn’t enough, so he had a femoral-popliteal vein graft, which was fine, although he did ask what the scar on his leg was several tines! He was 81 at the time, late middle or early late stage ( he died 18 months later). That worked pretty well, but I’m not sure many dementia patients would cope.
Good luck!
Oh thanks. She's past having operations, but that's helpful. I can't help wondering how long she can last now