Access to Care Plan and Risk Assessments

Exning

Aug 26, 2018
Been trying to get electronic copy of care plan and risk assessments.
I have told them that as the resident has lost capacity and I have Welfare Power of Attorney that I should have access under provisions of Care Act 2014 & Mental Capacity Act 2005.
They are happy to let me see it at the home but are resisting providing a copy.
As the care plan runs to over 50 pages not sure this is the best way to review the documentation.
I have no problems with the Care provided but felt that I ought to see what is written down.
Any ideas for legal justification for getting copy as I suppose they are giving me access.

Additional questions that come to mind is wondering what format should a care plan be in. To me a 50 page document is a good way to cover everything but in reality would be a useless document to use.
I know from briefly looking at it that there are factual errors. The home acts brilliantly but have feeling care plan is a tick box rather than a useful tool to ensure proper care. I suppose i have feeling care plans don't have any real value.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I don't have H&W LPA (just finance) and my mother's care agency sent me a copy of her care plan with no problem. I haven't asked to see the care plan at her care home, but I've seen parts of it on screen when I've been in there - I have no idea how many pages it runs to though. I suspect care facilities interpret the rules differently, or just make up their own rules.

Exning

Aug 26, 2018
I suppose it begs the question as to what is the point of a care plan if it is not properly reflecting the needs of the person. It surely should also be dynamic to reflect the changes that occur over time.

Exning

Aug 26, 2018
Might be of interest if you have problems getting copy of care plan and other information held by care home. Had confirmation from Information Commissioner Office that if you have Welfare POA you should be provided ( free of charge) with copy of all information held.