Sleeping day and night

Bee.quilt

Dec 29, 2017
my husband was discharged from stroke clinic last Thursday after multiple tests and current medication were assessed satisfactory. Since then he has stayed in bed continuously, accepting drinks and food but refusing to wash, dress. He appears in same night clothes late evening to sit with me before returning to bed after a couple of hours dozing in front of tv. He says he has no aches or pains, drinks and eats what he’s given, visits toilet without trouble. I can’t get him interested in anything. He refuses visitors. I don’t feel I can go out in case he’s not safe. Is this a stage in Alzheimer’s ? I suppose I should be glad of the peace but I’m on pins trying to work out what’s going on.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I suppose this could be tiredness after being in the stroke clinic.

However, if the behaviour is new and recent it could be either an infection or a downturn in the dementia. Either way a chat with the GP may be useful.

If ongoing needs warrant a care needs assessment the Society Factsheet that can be reached with this link may assist you - just click the second line
Assessment for care and support in England (418)
PDF printable version

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
my husband was discharged from stroke clinic last Thursday after multiple tests and current medication were assessed satisfactory. Since then he has stayed in bed continuously, accepting drinks and food but refusing to wash, dress. He appears in same night clothes late evening to sit with me before returning to bed after a couple of hours dozing in front of tv. He says he has no aches or pains, drinks and eats what he’s given, visits toilet without trouble. I can’t get him interested in anything. He refuses visitors. I don’t feel I can go out in case he’s not safe. Is this a stage in Alzheimer’s ? I suppose I should be glad of the peace but I’m on pins trying to work out what’s going on.
My husband went through this, as though bed were the only place he felt familiar and safe. I used to bring books and things up and sit with him, but he was mostly asleep. When I had to have workmen in, he went on sleeping in bed. Anyway, one day, about six months after this stage, he came downstairs suddenly and said I don't want to be alone ... and after that he never let me out of his sight. With warmest wishes, Geraldine aka kindred.